The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

8 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

No. I am with Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley) in rejecting the whole. Comic effect can be gained by interpolation of Royal Berkshire placenames into famous Western ideas, as in the shootout at the Old Windsor corral but I draw the line at anything to do with heading off and passes.

F. Owls

If I may intervene in a private discussion .... but you'd do it for Randolph Scott, wouldn't you?

(Blazing Saddles reference no. two!)

I've no idea who the latest person is, by the way.

Edited by The Scorer

How about a clue for Madame Whiplash U.G.?

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

She was a journalist.

Cheers 👍

American? looking at the style of uniform,but to many buttons🤔

Edited by Knotty

Thinking of her "first"; Henrietta Eleanor Goodnough Deuell; She was the first female correspondent accredited by the U. S. War Department?

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Thinking of her "first"; Henrietta Eleanor Goodnough Deuell; She was the first female correspondent accredited by the U. S. War Department?

Yes! The war reporter - her pen-name was Peggy Hull and she reported on Pershing’s action in Mexico in 1916, the First War and the Second war. Here’s her biography, ‘The Wars of Peggy Hull’:

https://archive.org/details/warsofpeggyhull00smit

I've managed to dig out a writer. Ostracized and sent into virtual oblivion, partly because of class snobbery, and also due to a feud with another writer, over a third writer more well known than either of them. 20230309_192619.jpg.7fa8267cd67c6dc13f8d1ddd5346af98.jpg

4 hours ago, The Scorer said:

If I may intervene in a private discussion

RANDOLPH SCOTT!!!!!!

Nothing private about it; a welcome diversion. As the prospect of me identifying the journalist was much the same as the prospect of me being hit by a meteorite it makes a refreshing change. All I seem to do these days is barrack from the sidelines, but I have a multi WiT? of fiendish fiendishness up my sleeve........

Pete.

11 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I have a multi WiT? of fiendish fiendishness up my sleeve........

Pete.

Heavens help us!

18 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I've managed to dig out a writer. Ostracized and sent into virtual oblivion, partly because of class snobbery, and also due to a feud with another writer, over a third writer more well known than either of them. 20230309_192619.jpg.7fa8267cd67c6dc13f8d1ddd5346af98.jpg

That’s a odd mixture of uniforms. Was this a PoW camp, and if so is he J R Ackerley? He wrote the play ‘The Prisoners of War’ based on his experiences, and he looks like him, but the clues don’t all match. 

Well done for spotting my subtle P.O.W. picture clue. 

It's not Ackerley though. My chap was born a little more north than he.

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well done for spotting my subtle P.O.W. picture clue. 

It's not Ackerley though. My chap was born a little more north than he.

Is he the Scottish poet AA Bowman?

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he the Scottish poet AA Bowman?

No, but you are getting closer to him. My man was also an artist, and actually started out as such, using Crowquill. 

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

No, but you are getting closer to him. My man was also an artist, and actually started out as such, using Crowquill. 

Joseph Lee?

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Joseph Lee?

Yes indeed. My next clue was to be his connection to W.S.C.

Lee's war poetry was widely praised when it was published during the Great War. His poem The Green Grass was acclaimed by John Buchan as one of the best war poems he had read. In 1918 the New York Times described his work as 'rather widely quoted'. Lee's reputation as a war poet once ranked alongside those of Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon and Rupert Brooke. However, as the works of Owen and Sassoon grew in popularity, Lee's fame waned, and his poetry became neglected, not least because of his dispute with then poet laureate Robert Bridges over the literary value of Robert Burns' work. He has been described as "Scotland's 'Forgotten' War Poet", and also the Black Watch poet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Lee_(poet)

20230310_122150.jpg.8013360edbe4cfbc10e94f8a6fa79e90.jpg

20 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Thank you for introducing me to Joseph Lee

https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/green-grass-0/

👍 It was a pleasure to find him and read his story.

Lest we forget. 

While we wait in frenzied yet subdued anticipation of Pete’s fiendish multi-WiT, who is this rather intense chap ? ? ? He wasn’t really a writer, (though he autobiography was published in 1933) and I should’ve posted him recently when his theme was under examination on this thread. (Image is in the public domain)

816E4AF7-5112-487F-A764-E0BD001AA730.jpeg

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

P.S. - he is not Dominic Raab.

That's narrowed it down a bit 😊

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

That's narrowed it down a bit 😊

One thinks of Daniel’s deathless clue: His photograph is in the Library of Congress.

My chap worked covertly in neutral America during the Great War, and, so it is said, for the SOE during the Second war.