The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

The Library of Congress photo hint and the German spy reference led me to him being the spy Captain Franz Dagobert Johannes von Rintelen, of the German Secret Service intelligence arm of the Navy and was based in the USA during WW1. His exploits are in the link below, he also published his memoirs in the book The Dark Invader

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_von_Rintelen

Hope I’ve got the right guy or it’s egg on face time

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

One thinks of Daniel’s deathless clue: His photograph is in the Library of Congress.

Great to be reminded of that UG! Quite one of my favourite moments in all of WIT’s long and distinguished history. 

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

The Library of Congress photo hint and the German spy reference led me to him being the spy Captain Franz Dagobert Johannes von Rintelen, of the German Secret Service intelligence arm of the Navy and was based in the USA during WW1. His exploits are in the link below, he also published his memoirs in the book The Dark Invader

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_von_Rintelen

Hope I’ve got the right guy or it’s egg on face time

Yes that’s him. He was strongly anti-Nazi in later life, and died in London in 1949. His memoirs are here:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks08/0801121h.html

10 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Great to be reminded of that UG! Quite one of my favourite moments in all of WIT’s long and distinguished history. 

During your period of absence Witter Voltaire would offer clues of mind-bending obscurity - he reminded me of Ted Rogers on 321, if you can remember him. Voltaire was a joy to have on WiT - as I remember things he got annoyed with the Mods and withdrew to his personal Colombey-les-Deux-Églises.

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

During your period of absence Witter Voltaire would offer clues of mind-bending obscurity - he reminded me of Ted Rogers on 321, if you can remember him. Voltaire was a joy to have on WiT - as I remember things he got annoyed with the Mods and withdrew to his personal Colombey-les-Deux-Églises.

Oh that’s a shame I liked his comments. I’m afraid I’m old enough to remember Ted Rogers years before 3-2-1. Saw him in an end of the pier show in the mid sixties. I was about ten , but I remember thinking he was very funny

I’ve searched through WIT and I think I may have possibly found someone not previously featured (although good chance  I might be wrong), he is definitely a first.

Early night now, but will catch up in the morning 

94B0DC5A-F282-44DB-AAB9-330E8BF81C95.jpeg

Is that a VC?

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

I’ve searched through WIT and I think I may have possibly found someone not previously featured (although good chance  I might be wrong), he is definitely a first.

Early night now, but will catch up in the morning 

94B0DC5A-F282-44DB-AAB9-330E8BF81C95.jpeg

William Williams, VC, DSM and Bar.. the help of the DSM + Bar helped alot in finding.

Zidane.

That’s him Zindane, Seaman William Williams the first VC from the isle of Anglesey

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Williams_(VC) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-40175148

and not to be confused with Seaman William C Williams VC of Gallipoli fame who was awarded his posthumously.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I cannot find my chap mentioned before.

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Doesn't look like it, John.

Following my last offering of "Scotland's forgotten poet",  and his feud with Robert Bridges, here's another chap that wouldn't have gone down too well with "the clique".20230312_110447.jpg.df1e8c78dbaf61a900a8928f9d415e91.jpg

Edited by neverforget

35 minutes ago, Knotty said:

That’s him Zindane, Seaman William Williams the first VC from the isle of Anglesey

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Williams_(VC) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-40175148

and not to be confused with Seaman William C Williams VC of Gallipoli fame who was awarded his posthumously.

You're worse than the teachers! The teachers call me Zid-daan.. Infact, my woodwork teacher [brother was a Capt in Vietnam; Later RACT Colonel] thought it was the right way to say it.. i broke it to him on the last lesson for the year that he'd been saying it wrong for the whole semester

Anyways, to neverforgets post..
I was about to say Gerard Hopkins, but he died in 1889...
Yorkshire Regiment man?

Zidane

2 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Yorkshire Regiment man?

Zidane

Not the Yorkshire Reg'. Further south.

As an aside, I saw this earlier and it reminded me of your square-bashing tale. :)20230311_093428.jpg.fd1b5a16c5d9de00c06ab2b1856ae687.jpg

I have now altered my post, as there seem to be many misleading articles that put the original picture of "my man" at the head. It would seem however that it was in fact a picture of Edmund Blundell, so apologies for any confusion. I shall offer by way of compensation a clue. My man enlisted with the Public Schoolboys.

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Public Schoolboys.

Public Schoolboys.. reminds me of 'To Serve Them All My Days'..

I was also watching 'The Longest Day', rewatching the scene at the bridge.. 'Up the Ox and Bucks! Up the Ox and Bucks!'..

Zidane.

8 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

'Up the Ox and Bucks! Up the Ox and Bucks!'..

Zidane.

My grandfather's brother was killed at Arras whilst serving with them. 

1 hour ago, tankengine888 said:

You're worse than the teachers! The teachers call me Zid-daan.. Infact, my woodwork teacher [brother was a Capt in Vietnam; Later RACT Colonel] thought it was the right way to say it.. i broke it to him on the last lesson for the year that he'd been saying it wrong for the whole semester

Yorkshire Regiment man?

Zidane

Zidane apologies, the auto correct really messes with spelling, you were Sudanese this time😁

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Zidane apologies, the auto correct really messes with spelling, you were Sudanese this time😁

Could I say I was fighting Lance Corporal Jones as a fuzzy-wuzzy? 

Just now, tankengine888 said:

Could I say I was fighting Lance Corporal Jones as a fuzzy-wuzzy? 

Providing you accept the PC Brigade will be cancelling you as I type😁

Publish and be damned, I say 😊

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

My man enlisted with the Public Schoolboys.

Hi Steve

Is this the chap West that wrote Diary of a Dead Officer, and pi**ed a few people off?

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I best take that back and proof my allegiance to Queen Victoria the Crown! I must hop into the correct military uniform in my closet!
either that or hop into modern dpcu uniform.

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

Hi Steve

Is this the chap West that wrote Diary of a Dead Officer, and pi**ed a few people off?

That's who I had in mind!
Permitting that that was the man in question...

I have one!

image.png.bd9d18621eb026ed402bdbe100a83bae.png

Zidane.

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi Steve

The very same. Killed by a sniper in 1917 whilst serving with the Ox and Bucks. 

Hated war but joined up out of a sense of patriotism. Became a pacifist in due course and wrote scathingly about the poets who seemed to glory in it, and of his disillusionment with god and religion.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57293/god-how-i-hate-you-you-young-cheerful-men#:~:text=How I hate you%2C you young cheerful men”,-By Arthur Graeme&text=Arthur Graeme West was born,an evangelist and former missionary.

Edited by neverforget

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

The bit I always objected to was "with your 'ayrick 'ead of 'air", but of course that was just my follicly challenged inferiority complex coming to the fore :hypocrite:

David

2 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

with your 'ayrick 'ead of 'air

Was that the townie version or the one from the sticks accent, please don’t tell me it was over the border at the Tadley treacle mines😂😂