The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I'll resist the temptation to post any further drum puns. :whistle:

Hi Zidane

Another gentleman that had very close connections to Australia  😁

Sir George Tom Molesworth Bridges, who despite being wounded rallied a couple of battalions at St Quentin during the retreat from Mons using a tin whistle and toy drum. He later lost a leg at Passchendaele. Link below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bridges

Edited by Knotty

21 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi Zidane

Sir George Tom Molesworth Bridges, who despite being wounded rallied a couple of battalions at St Quentin during the retreat from Mons using a tin whistle and toy drum. He later lost a leg at Passchendaele. Link below

Surely it must be. Well done John, I didn't have the foggiest with that one. 

Nice find Zidane.

21 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi Zidane

I didn't realize you answered it!

Yes, Sir Tom Bridges. I actually didn't realize he had connections to Australia!
I found out about him by watching 'Mons (1926)' or on youtube 'The Vanished Army' which had a scene with his actions with the tin whistle and toy drum.
Here is the scene in question.

Anyways, I have another man in mind, but I'll see if anyone submits a person.

Zidane

I have one to offer.

Has a unique distinction, and also a very chequered and covert pre war history. Had this been known he would at the very least never been allowed to embark on what became an illustrious military career. In fact he would most likely have been shot.

20230314_114604.jpg.59307a9da35b487b18175ad1c0fe0bd0.jpg

No takers? Perhaps a little pictorial assistance then..20230314_160434.jpg.1cc5a226c6a1ca114ae48e702c9c7cdf.jpg20230314_160902.jpg.91f8358eb60c47d901d05d7cf1d8802b.jpg

6 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Riddle of the sands!!

Indeed, and therein lies a connection.

Sorry Steve didn’t check to see if there was a new WIT

Based on your pictorial representation and Charlie962 could it be Erskine Childers perhaps?

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

So is it Erskine Childers?

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

Sorry Steve didn’t check to see if there was a new WIT

Based on your pictorial representation and Charlie962 could it be Erskine Childers perhaps?

Not Childers, but a very strong connection, both to him and his book.

He was arrested on suspicion of spying, but released. 

All of the above before the outbreak of war, during which he gained his regrettable distinction. 

17 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Not Childers, but a very strong connection, both to him and his book.

He was arrested on suspicion of spying, but released. 

All of the above before the outbreak of war, during which he gained his regrettable distinction. 

David Lubbock Robinson ?

11 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

David Lubbock Robinson ?

No. My man was born a lot further away. A lot further. He was instrumental in making sure that the British Army maintained their retreat from Mons, which was something he was able to do because of his observations.

Sadly he didn't survive the war, and is buried some 5 miles west of Bethune in the Pas de Calais. 

Edited by neverforget

20230314_163922.jpg.14100372992ce062a9b30c80cc20b84d.jpg

Brigadier General Gordon Strachey Shephard?
(friend of Erskine and highest ranked officer of RFC/RAF killed on active service)

Update…. he landed munitions to the Irish Volunteers in July 14 using Erskine yacht

Edited by Knotty

Yes John, well played. 

In July 1914, he used his skills as a yachtsman to surreptitiously assist his friend Erskine Childers in landing a consignment of weaponry at Howth aboard Childers' yacht, The Asgard, on behalf of the Irish Volunteers, an action which, had it become known, would have resulted in, at a minimum, the termination of Shephard's military career, if not far more drastic punishment. When it was proposed to smuggle a consignment of 1,500 German guns into Ireland aboard two yachts – Erskine and Molly Childers’ Asgard and the Kelpie under Conor O’Brien – in response to the importation into the north in April 1914 of 24,000 German guns by the anti–Home Rule Ulster Volunteer Force, Gordon was very much involved. Gordon – who insisted on being called by the alias ‘Mr Gordon’ during the trip –played a key role in the actual landing of the guns at Howth (Dublin Bay). He was one of the few who knew the details of Childers’ berthing plans. 

His covert operations came to an abrupt halt when he and a companion were briefly detained by the German authorities at Emden, after they were seen taking photographs in a sensitive area.

He was widely believed to have been the main character (Caruthers) in Erskine's Riddle of the sands.

He was the highest-ranking officer of the flying services to be killed in a theatre of war in the First World War, and was buried in the Lapugnoy Military Cemetery, in the Pas de Calais, France.

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/on-this-day/19-january-1918-brigadier-general-gordon-strachey-shephard/

Edited by neverforget

Another fascinating read, thank you Steve.

I absolutely loved ‘Riddle of the Sands’ when I read it as a boy. Read it again a few years ago and really enjoyed it again. A cut above most of the pre-war ‘invasion scare’ fiction.

David

17 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Another fascinating read, thank you Steve.

I absolutely loved ‘Riddle of the Sands’ when I read it as a boy. Read it again a few years ago and really enjoyed it again. A cut above most of the pre-war ‘invasion scare’ fiction.

David

Yes, quite a character. A bit of an adrenaline junkie I'd wager. 

Right it’s late so I will leave you with this WIT also a first, back on the case tomorrow

1315E137-6F61-44FE-A3DA-F04B1B46A8AE.jpeg

No overnight takers so a clue to start the day, he was rejected by the army.

Edited by Knotty

Interesting looking chap. I'm hopeless with uniforms but the cap looks a bit French to me. 

Some sort of partisan perhaps?

40 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Interesting looking chap. I'm hopeless with uniforms but the cap looks a bit French to me. 

Some sort of partisan perhaps?

French yes, partisan no, part of the regulars, think hills😁