The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Well I never knew that, Who'd ave thought it? Yer educational that's what you lot are. I honestly can't remember the technical status of the song coming up as a topic of conversation when I were a nipper down pit. The verbal by play tended to centre around the availability of pit props and the angle of main seam.

Every day a skool day here on the forum. :unsure:

13 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

the availability of pit props and the angle of main seam.

What no reference to the Weisbach triangle 😁

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

What no reference to the Weisbach triangle 😁

That's just a miner detail.

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

That's just a miner detail.

Several years since I last used one

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Several years since I last used one

1 year 10 months 3 weeks and 2 days for me. :D

Late early 90’s was the last tunnel I physically had to go underground to set out.

(not a tunnel in the true sense but a 2.5m interceptor sewer, just over 5km in length, 2 curves under several roads and housing estates, finally under a canal and into a pumping station, had to drive from both ends and missed by 64mm. the tunnelling Co. had allowed a 200mm error, good bonuses all round and a decent session to celebrate) 

Sorry but a happy ( see music thread) reminiscence of mine

Wow. Interesting stuff John. Didn't mean to be flippant; had no idea. Sounds like some serious calculations went on there. I can appreciate that, being all my life used to working to extremely fine tolerances.

• Admin

If I may join this page I have a candidate for you all. Who is this???

image.png.f597dc533cfb1a0bc0b00fdb513b259b.png

5 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

If I may join this page I have a candidate for you all. Who is this???

image.png.f597dc533cfb1a0bc0b00fdb513b259b.png

Of course. Welcome to the fray :thumbsup:

• Admin
1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Of course. Welcome to the fray :thumbsup:

Thank you :D This Gentleman spent some time before his death, in the Tower!

6 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

This Gentleman spent some time before his death, in the Tower!

Welcome Bob, your man was not detained but was administrative I think. Did he also have a connection to the Menin Road?

Pete.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

Welcome Bob, your man was not detained but was administrative I think. Did he also have a connection to the Menin Road?

Pete.

Thank you Pete, yes and he did live in a hole near the Menin Road for some time.

1 minute ago, Bob Davies said:

he did live in a hole near the Menin Road for some time

From where he oversaw a terrible and thankless task. I knew his name but had never seen a photograph, so this is really interesting.

Pete.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

From where he oversaw a terrible and thankless task. I knew his name but had never seen a photograph, so this is really interesting.

Pete.

There is a connection to Byng but it is not him....

• Admin

So from fighting the Boers to 1st Ypres and onward. Though his men really belonged outside Buck' House, they followed him willingly.......

20 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

So from fighting the Boers to 1st Ypres and onward. Though his men really belonged outside Buck' House, they followed him willingly.......

Now that’s given the game away, Grenadier Guards, and I believe a possible shoe in when Haig fell out of favour in spring 1918, before Amiens success.

Edited by Knotty

• Admin
29 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Now that’s given the game away, Grenadier Guards, and I believe a possible shoe in when Haig fell out of favour in spring 1918, before Amiens.

Edit here, Cause I am smiling from your comment 'Now that’s given the game away' :lol:  You have him Knotty! And then off for a pizza..

Edited by Bob Davies

• Admin

So when this man went off for a pizza with the British, he also had the French as company....

13 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

You have him Knotty!

Well done Mr K. I by contrast find it necessary to quote the legendary Murray Walker - "Unless I am very much mistaken, YES, I AM, VERY MUCH MISTAKEN". Good clues too Bob, but I am now officially clueless.

Pete.

• Admin
Just now, Fattyowls said:

Well done Mr K. I by contrast find it necessary to quote the legendary Murray Walker - "Unless I am very much mistaken, YES, I AM, VERY MUCH MISTAKEN". Good clues too Bob, but I am now officially clueless.

Pete.

His title comes from an island and they even named his bunker after him on the maps though that was not about golfing....south of the Menin road digging out rather than bunking....and in tradition with military humor, a name such as he has, he should have a red nose....Here he is chatting to a French Officer while they wait for a pizza...image.png.7c27c563fd3eed89dde691955f24c6c4.png

Edited by Bob Davies

• Admin
Just now, Uncle George said:

Much of this has gone over my head. But, Rudolph Lambart, 10th Earl of Cavan?

Spot on Uncle George!

I was completely in the dark there. Got as far as Rudolph.....:)

• Admin
Just now, neverforget said:

I was completely in the dark there. Got as far as Rudolph.....:)

Apologies to all if my clues were a bit cryptic! Yup, red nose = Rudolph

He was commander of the guards brigade earlier in the war and had a 'dugout' (which got blown to bits) it was located between Maple copse and Armagh wood= south of Menin road.

He ended up as commander of the British forces in Italy = went for a pizza.

He was married to someone who was the niece of Byng, I think he had at least 2 wives.

After the war he had a job at the Tower of London, which is about the time of the first picture I posted of him.

Mr. Knotty I think guessed him, 'Now that’s given the game away, Grenadier Guards, and I believe a possible shoe in when Haig fell out of favour in spring 1918, before Amiens success'

The powers that were, wanted to have him take over from Haig.

Best Wishes, Bob. I will find another and use less cryptic clues.