The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

No worries Bob, I wasn't complaining, merely displaying my ineptitude :thumbsup:

Can I play as well?

Who is this young woman

Question(2).jpg.af149ea1f08cb0eb75792cedf5b44c14.jpg

• Admin
Just now, Stereoview Paul said:

Can I play as well?

Who is this young woman

Question(2).jpg.af149ea1f08cb0eb75792cedf5b44c14.jpg

Certainly, now I can show my ignorance and ineptitude :lol: Taken somewhere on the Western front?.....Only clues you want to give, I believe are the order of the day.

Best known for locking something up and throwing away the key

• Admin
Just now, Stereoview Paul said:

Best known for locking something up and throwing away the key

Kate Luard? Worked in a sanitorium at some stage.

Sorry , not correct - another clue tomorrow morning don't want to give too much away yet.

Edited by Stereoview Paul

She was to be executed for what she did next, but managed to escape during the confusion and panic when the French started to shell her newly occupied village.

12 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

Can I play as well?

You are very welcome Paul, the more the merrier. Haven't got a clue as to you photo of course......

12 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

ignorance and ineptitude

Hey, that's my job......

I see..........let me re-state my first clue.

Best known for locking something UP and throwing away the key

Her story is astounding but not well known in UK,

Two intriguing clues. Much headscratching going on here. 🤔

We are about 10km from Albert if that helps

• Admin

If I scratch my head anymore what brain I have will start to leak out :lol:

I am taking another guess. Marcelle Semmer? Edit, not a guess anymore as I found this and as it is on the Tinternet it must be true ???*

https://ww1instereo.wordpress.com/mlle-marcelle-semmer-a-young-heroine/

Edited by Bob Davies

Yes - well done, description below, from the back of the stereoview. If you look at her Wikipedia entry she actually escaped as the firing squad was being assembled and had a second miraculous escape when French shelling breached a church where she was being held captive. The UP was referring to the drawbridge over the Somme Canal.

M’LLE. SEMMER DECORATED FOR HEROIC ACTIONS UNDER FIRE

In the great hall of the Sorbonne at Paris, where France honors the great poets, scientists and philosophers of the world, there was recently acclaimed the name of Mlle. Marcelle Semmer, a young heroine of the war, who had already won the Cross of the Legion of Honor and the War Cross, before, receiving the greatest honor in the power of France to give.

At the outbreak of the war, Mlle. Semmer was an orphan girl living in the little village of Eclusiers, near Frise on the Somme.  After the Allies were defeated at Charleroi, the French tried to make a stand at the Somme, but were obliged to retreat across a canal near Mlle. Semmer’s home.  When the French had passed over the canal, the young girl raised the drawbridge, and for fear the pursuing Germans would compel her to give up the key, without which it could not be lowered again, she threw it into the canal.  This held up the Germans for 24 hours.  During the occupation of the village by the Germans, Mlle. Semmer concealed a number of French soldiers and aided them to escape, in which act she was finally caught by the Germans and sentenced to be shot.  Just as she was placed before the firing squad, the French began to cannonade the village and in the confusion she escaped.

For more than a year she remained in her native village, helping the French soldiers wherever possible.  As she know the locality so well, she sometimes acted as a guide through the marshes, and much of the time she was caring for the wounded.  At last, her health broke down and she was persuaded to go to Paris where she entered a school for nurses in order that she might better aid the wounded soldiers.

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Stereoview Paul said:

Yes - well done, description below, from the back of the stereoview. If you look at her Wikipedia entry she actually escaped as the firing squad was being assembled and had a second miraculous escape when French shelling breached a church where she was being held captive. The UP was referring to the drawbridge over the Somme Canal.

M’LLE. SEMMER DECORATED FOR HEROIC ACTIONS UNDER FIRE

In the great hall of the Sorbonne at Paris, where France honors the great poets, scientists and philosophers of the world, there was recently acclaimed the name of Mlle. Marcelle Semmer, a young heroine of the war, who had already won the Cross of the Legion of Honor and the War Cross, before, receiving the greatest honor in the power of France to give.

At the outbreak of the war, Mlle. Semmer was an orphan girl living in the little village of Eclusiers, near Frise on the Somme.  After the Allies were defeated at Charleroi, the French tried to make a stand at the Somme, but were obliged to retreat across a canal near Mlle. Semmer’s home.  When the French had passed over the canal, the young girl raised the drawbridge, and for fear the pursuing Germans would compel her to give up the key, without which it could not be lowered again, she threw it into the canal.  This held up the Germans for 24 hours.  During the occupation of the village by the Germans, Mlle. Semmer concealed a number of French soldiers and aided them to escape, in which act she was finally caught by the Germans and sentenced to be shot.  Just as she was placed before the firing squad, the French began to cannonade the village and in the confusion she escaped.

For more than a year she remained in her native village, helping the French soldiers wherever possible.  As she know the locality so well, she sometimes acted as a guide through the marshes, and much of the time she was caring for the wounded.  At last, her health broke down and she was persuaded to go to Paris where she entered a school for nurses in order that she might better aid the wounded soldiers.

That was a very interesting and informative search, thanks Paul. I was convinced that she was a Belgian woman for a time but then I realised that Albert was in France (Only Fools and Horses education helped here) I had never heard of her before, quite a woman we remember here. Cheers, Bob.

9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

You are very welcome Paul, the more the merrier. Haven't got a clue as to you photo of course......

Hey, that's my job......

Hope you're not goingto claim exclusivity on that.:)

6 hours ago, Stereoview Paul said:

There are two stereo photos of her.

The Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelle_Semmer makes Edith Cavels exploits look quite ordinary by comparison

Question(3).jpg.ecb635cd84ea9525299bef39e08a1deb.jpg

Question2(2).jpg.23dc1900a42b9988c39d201eeae7bc0d.jpg

Thanks Paul, great post. Given another month of Sundays I might have got there. Well done Bob.

• Admin
2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Hope you're not goingto claim exclusivity on that.:)

Thanks Paul, great post. Given another month of Sundays I might have got there. Well done Bob.

Thanks neverforget, at first I thought she was a nurse, then a suffaragette, then Delboy, Rodney and Uncle Albert moved in and I was in Belgium with a candidate. However Uncle Albert saved me and I ended up in France. Those stereo photos are something else.

11 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Hey, that's my job......

Pete, I have one for you, I don't think he has been on here before, which is a surprise!

• Admin

Who is this???

image.png.d800f39333c1f0ad6f9e428da9001a77.png

He is one of three, from a long line.

Edited by Bob Davies
To add a clue

10 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Who is this???

image.png.d800f39333c1f0ad6f9e428da9001a77.png

He is one of three, from a long line.

Is he Bryan Mahon? (This image from Wikipedia.)

5A0D4FDB-AA97-41B0-B7A1-2BA61C1EB9D6.png

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Bryan Mahon? (This image from Wikipedia.)

5A0D4FDB-AA97-41B0-B7A1-2BA61C1EB9D6.png

No he is not. The officer in question started his career in Egypt and went looking for Gordon down the Nile....

• Admin

His son whose name is connected to his wife also fought in WW1. They kept their cool as their name suggests....

30 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

His son whose name is connected to his wife also fought in WW1. They kept their cool as their name suggests....

Sir Thomas D’Oyly Snow?

• Admin
2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Sir Thomas D’Oyly Snow?

Sadly not Uncle George, though I see your reasoning and a great choice. Sir Thomas D’Oyly Snow, also had a Reverend for a Father and Bryan Mahon, another very interesting choice was in a very, very similar regiment. The man you seek had a different way of keeping cool. He was one of three and one of them replaced him at a certain stage as he had become the scapegoat, however he went on to do good work in the hot climates once more....

• Admin

One of the three fell foul of the Earl of Cavan while in Italy. Cavan did not like his method of having a few troops in the front to stall any attack, which was then supported by a very strong counter attack to drive the enemy attack back. Which worked! Anyhow he was sent home with no pizza but was very highly regarded by his Division, who complained for years after about his dismissal.....

18 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

One of the three fell foul of the Earl of Cavan while in Italy. Cavan did not like his method of having a few troops in the front to stall any attack, which was then supported by a very strong counter attack to drive the enemy attack back. Which worked! Anyhow he was sent home with no pizza but was very highly regarded by his Division, who complained for years after about his dismissal.....

Robert Fanshawe?