The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I'm wondering if this has something to do with Harry Lauder's masterpiece.

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

I'm wondering if this has something to do with Harry Lauder's masterpiece.

There is no Birmingham City connection as far as I can see, but there is a link to a recent individual using similar logic.

Well it appears to be Wallace Stevens, but I can't see the link to war poetry 

David

No it's not, of course it's Robert Frost

Edited by David Ridgus

15 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

its Robert Frost

It is indeed. I read about your peregrinations and the line "the road less travelled" came to me. This is a regular misquote by me and others of "The Road Not Taken" which was inspired by, and inspired Frost's friend Edward Thomas, the writer soldier lost at Arras in 1917.

Top work teach.

F. Owls.

Edited by Fattyowls
replacing the indefinite with the definite article

8 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

It is indeed. I read about your peregrinations and the line "the road less travelled" came to me. This is a regular misquote by me and others of "The Road Not Taken" which was inspired by, and inspired Frost's friend Edward Thomas, a writer soldier lost at Arras in 1917.

Top work teach.

F. Owls.

I got a hunch about a possible road connection, but that's as far as I got. 

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
there's still time to change the road you're on" :thumbsup:

Edited by neverforget

I used to teach that poem and it's actually quite odd. Although he says he took the one 'less traveled by' the rest of the poem suggests the two roads are used equally.

25 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

image.png.2304246d85b8a521dfafd54c97df5669.png

So who is this writer?

Fighter?

Just now, neverforget said:

Fighter?

No. Kept out of action by poor eyesight, he did his bit with the pen. However it's his ambivalence towards war that fuelled his best writing. I am always amazed he is not better known

He will be soon. :thumbsup:

And yet saying that he wrote a poem that was and remains very popular. He is a real mixture (even down to his name)

4 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

And yet saying that he wrote a poem that was and remains very popular. He is a real mixture (even down to his name)

The only poems I can think of is 'In Flanders Field', but evidently isn't John McRae.. Nor is it Rupert Brooke.. coincidentally, both died during the war years from illness, Brooke of an infected mosquito bite and McRae of Pneumonia.

Seems a bit young, perhaps aged mid 20s.. Cannot think who it is.

Edited by tankengine888

1 minute ago, tankengine888 said:

The only poems I can think of is 'In Flanders Field', but evidently isn't John McRae.. Nor is it Rupert Brooke.. coincidentally, both died during the war years from illness, Brooke of an infected mosquito bite and McRae of Pneumonia.

Seems a bit young, perhaps aged mid 20s.. Cannot think who it is.

His most enduring poem was written before the Great War. In the picture he is 42

3 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

His most enduring poem was written before the Great War. In the picture he is 42

Welp, I got both of them wrong.. By rights, I should be planning on what I should write for Business Commerce [a recent innovative product], but I cannot think what or how to start... I find WIT much more entertaining.
Anyways, I'll have to do more searching....

1 minute ago, tankengine888 said:

Welp, I got both of them wrong.. By rights, I should be planning on what I should write for Business Commerce [a recent innovative product], but I cannot think what or how to start... I find WIT much more entertaining.
Anyways, I'll have to do more searching....

Well I suppose as recently retired teacher I should be telling you to get on with your homework, but as I spent hours when I should have been planning lessons, trying to find WITs that would be hypocritical!

8 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Well I suppose as recently retired teacher I should be telling you to get on with your homework, but as I spent hours when I should have been planning lessons, trying to find WITs that would be hypocritical!

It's not my homework... yet.
'Business Commerce' is a dry topic.. I'll tell you something more interesting! Metalwork, where me and 3 others were confined to a 4x5m room with sparks flying in all directions wearing flammable blazers.. this was from welding mind you. 

I feel that lessons dont take too much effort to plan [depending on a topic]..

Edit: Continuation of the last statement,
Say for instance English, you could just give the students a worksheet to do and call it a day.. Learning Shakespeare [Othello, Hamlet, etc] or the sonnets. Understanding Poems by [for instance] Kipling or Tennyson.

Edited by tankengine888

3 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

I feel that lessons dont take too much effort to plan 

I feel that you might be wrong. And I think we had better stick to WIT

7 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

I feel that you might be wrong. And I think we had better stick to WIT

Agreed, sorry for the distraction.
So we've got a writer, poor-eyesight, rejection from service, fame prior to WW1, still remembered today.. I haven't got an idea on who he is.

Edited by tankengine888

2 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Agreed, sorry for the distraction.
So we've got a writer, poor-eyesight, rejection from service, fame prior to WW1, still remembered today.. I haven't got an idea on who he is.

No it is one of his poems that is remembered, but he as the poet not really. In fact his best antiwar poems are virtually totally forgotten, despite one of them making it into the Congressional Record as late as 1966

11 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

No it is one of his poems that is remembered, but he as the poet not really. In fact his best antiwar poems are virtually totally forgotten, despite one of them making it into the Congressional Record as late as 1966

Is he Wilfrid Wilson Gibson?

https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/battle-a-collection-of-poetry-by-wilfrid-wilson-gibson

Edited by Uncle George

No he isn't Gibson.

He was a pacifist who was damned for being a militarist. he was also excoriated and then exonerated by Yeats

David

16 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

I feel that lessons dont take too much effort to plan 

Ouch! :D

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Ouch! :D

Romeo and Juliet Act 2 Scene 2 Line 1

😕

12 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Romeo and Juliet Act 2 Scene 2 Line 1

😕

I hear you. 

On that note, never let it be said that I would let slip any opportunity to call attention to one of the finest tenor performances of all time. (I'm sure Pete will confirm my obsession) 

New York Metropolitan, February 1947.. 

• Admin

The Highwayman. Alfred Noyse, is this man We learnt about him at school He comes from Wolverhampton.

Edited by Bob Davies