The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

7 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Is this something to do with the genocide of the Herero people in Namibia?

Yes. The film I’m referring to is Der vermessene Mensch, ‘Measures of Men’.

Lothar von Trotha?

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Yes. The film I’m referring to is Der vermessene Mensch, ‘Measures of Men’.

Then I suppose Lothar von Trotha is the obvious candidate

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Lothar von Trotha?

4 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Then I suppose Lothar von Trotha is the obvious candidate

No. My man was was highly critical of von Trotha, on both ethical and strategic grounds. In later life he was involved in the anti-Nazi movement.

Friedrich Sixt von Armin?

2 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Friedrich Sixt von Armin?

No. This officer had a distinguished First war - for instance, he was in command of landing forces during a successful amphibious operation.

My last guess of the evening as I am off to do some carousing in Harrogate.......Ehrhard Schmidt

4 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

My last guess of the evening as I am off to do some carousing in Harrogate.......Ehrhard Schmidt

Nearly - Schmidt commanded the naval forces of that operation, while my chap commended the ground forces.

Ludwig von Estorff I suppose is a possibility so i will go for him given his involvement in GSWA

Just now, ilkley remembers said:

Ludwig von Estorff I suppose is a possibility so i will go for him given his involvement in GSWA

Yes indeed.

Interesting Wit might try and see the film when and if it is released over here

1 minute ago, ilkley remembers said:

Interesting Wit might try and see the film when and if it is released over here

Yes, an interesting man. Though he opposed von Trotha he obeyed orders and was therefore complicit in that genocide. He was wounded on the Western Front early in the First war, but later held high command, including acting command of the Eighth army.

A deeply religious man, (which just goes to show) he was later associated with the theologian and anti-Nazi Friedrich von Bodelschwingh, and consequently involved with the opposition to the Nazis. He died in 1943.

Very interesting week dodging in and out when possible, some very interesting WIT candidates, I look forward to recommencing now back at home😁.

As an aside I have added a photo that might be of some interest.
We were staying at the Crown and Mitre hotel in Carlisle and in the foyer they had this picture dated 29th December 1918 of a meeting taking place there between US President Woodrow Wilson and a resident of Carlisle (Mr Watson). Wilson’s mother (Janet)was born in Carlisle and it was a wish of his to visit the city. Apparently next stop was Paris to start the peace process starting 18th Jan 1919.

6ABCCF75-43FB-4A3F-9D7A-DB474FD34C71.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Very interesting week dodging in and out when possible, some very interesting WIT candidates, I look forward to recommencing now back at home😁.

As an aside I have added a photo that might be of some interest.
We were staying at the Crown and Mitre hotel in Carlisle and in the foyer they had this picture dated 29th December 1918 of a meeting taking place there between US President Woodrow Wilson and a resident of Carlisle (Mr Watson). Wilson’s mother (Janet)was born in Carlisle and it was a wish of his to visit the city. Apparently next stop was Paris to start the peace process starting 18th Jan 1919.

6ABCCF75-43FB-4A3F-9D7A-DB474FD34C71.jpeg

The bloke on the extreme left in the background appears to be somewhat taken by surprise to be having his photo taken :D

I'll put one up...20230325_221055.jpg.6bdfeeebe895c595d4524e1056e41b89.jpg

• Admin
5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'll put one up...20230325_221055.jpg.6bdfeeebe895c595d4524e1056e41b89.jpg

'Nautical sort of Chap' is about as far as I can go on this :lol:

46 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

'Nautical sort of Chap' is about as far as I can go on this :lol:

That's a good start.:D He was also an ace pilot inter alia.

Edited by neverforget

• Admin
10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

That's a good start.:D He was also an ace pilot.

He don't look like the Red Baron, need to have a look further, which got me nowhere on the last few. Thanks Knotty for posting one with the name on the picture frame!:D

He finally came to grief attacking half a dozen enemy planes on his own and was lost at sea.

Edited by neverforget

D.S.C. 

Wrote of his brother who was shot by a sniper on the first day of Loos, and who died a few days later. Thousands turned out for his funeral in his home town. His brother was part of the Cambridge crew who won the boat race in 1914.

Edited by neverforget

Three hours to find this one Steve, it’s Miles Jeffrey Game Day RNAS and poet, elder brother of Dennis Ivor Day killed at Loos who had the poem “To my brother” written and dedicated to his memory.
Miles too was thought to have lost his life by drowning off the coast of Dunkirk, this despite being seen to climb out of his plane after ditching into the sea following a dog fight.

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Three hours to find this one Steve, it’s Miles Jeffrey Game Day RNAS and poet, elder brother of Dennis Ivor Day killed at Loos who had the poem “To my brother” written and dedicated to his memory.
Miles too was thought to have lost his life by drowning off the coast of Dunkirk, this despite being seen to climb out of his plane after ditching into the sea following a dog fight.

Yes. The most famous WW1 Air Service poet. 

Written by his commanding officer..."He was shot down by six German aircraft which he attacked single-handed, out to sea. He had out-distanced his flight, I think because he wished to break the [enemy's] formation, in order to make it easier for the less experienced people behind him to attack. He hit the enemy and they hit his machine, which burst into flames; but, not a bit flurried, he nose-dived, flattened out, and landed perfectly on the water. He climbed out of his machine and waved his fellow-pilots back to their base; being in aeroplanes [not sea-planes] they could not assist him."

He was never found, and is commemorated at the Chatham Naval Memorial. K.I.A. aged 21.

The beautiful but haunting poem written to his older brother is at the bottom of this page...

https://stives100yearsago.blogspot.com/2018/01/dennis-ivor-day-and-miles-jeffery-game.html?m=1