The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

here comes the big giveaway in any case:

or Gregory’s girl star🤪

Just now, Knotty said:

or Gregory’s girl star🤪

😄 If I had mentioned where he was born @Uncle George would have been on it in a flash :whistle:

P.S. I  have just received a notification to inform me that I have been promoted to Lieutenant/General, 13/15. That means I can now sit in the mess at the same table as the likes of @Fattyowls and co. I have to say though that my non-Skindles contributions to the forum would make me feel very much the imposter in such esteemed company. 

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

😄 If I had mentioned where he was born @Uncle George would have been on it in a flash :whistle:

P.S. I  have just received a notification to inform me that I have been promoted to Lieutenant/General, 13/15. That means I can now sit in the mess at the same table as the likes of @Fattyowls and co. I have to say though that my non-Skindles contributions to the forum would make me feel very much the imposter in such esteemed company. 

So he’s George Grogan? P.S. - congratulations!

Just now, Uncle George said:

So he’s George Grogan? P.S. - congratulations!

Yes, and thanks. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Grogan

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

I can now sit in the mess at the same table

I was blackballed because I didn't know which way to pass the port, or because I didn't drink port, or drink at all. This clearly marks me out as a rum cove.

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I was blackballed because I didn't know which way to pass the port, or because I didn't drink port, or drink at all. This clearly marks me out as a rum cove.

Always sit immediately to my left. That way I can always make sure that the decanter is empty before I pass it on to you. ;)

P.S. Now only 7,948 posts till my next promotion.:D

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Now only 7,948 posts till my next promotion

Six weeks (the answer to almost everything WW1 related). It's the equivalent of 42.

12 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Six weeks (the answer to almost everything WW1 related). It's the equivalent of 42.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

It's the equivalent of 42.

Which as we know is the answer to the meaning of life, the universe and everything according to D Adams😁

23 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Which as we know is the answer to the meaning of life, the universe and everything according to D Adams😁

Snap! (Time is an illusion etc...)😊

Here's one who was at the head of a team of six. There are plenty of photos of him in civvies, but this is the only one that I could find of him in uniform; that of a 2nd Lieutenant...20230329_122154.jpg.8025ded17da40330c43fff36a78b468b.jpg

I will take a quick punt at Edward Bradbury, who took command of L battery RHA at Nery, and won the VC

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

I will take a quick punt at Edward Bradbury, who took command of L battery RHA at Nery, and won the VC

Not him. This isn't a V.C. He did get a Military Cross though, and was mentioned in despatches. He was also knighted for his war service, which advanced things considerably for us technically, and went on to do so in the next war.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Here's one who was at the head of a team of six. There are plenty of photos of him in civvies, but this is the only one that I could find of him in uniform; that of a 2nd Lieutenant...20230329_122154.jpg.8025ded17da40330c43fff36a78b468b.jpg

Big shot in the dark.. General Sir William Morgan (GCB, DSO, MC)

I was also thinking Sir Miles Dempsey, but I'm not sure on that one either.

Edit: if there aren't many photographs of him in uniform, I'm pondering whether he stayed in the army or not..

Edited by tankengine888

22 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Big shot in the dark.. General Sir William Morgan (GCB, DSO, MC)

I was also thinking Sir Miles Dempsey, but I'm not sure on that one either.

Edit: if there aren't many photographs of him in uniform, I'm pondering whether he stayed in the army or not..

Neither of those. He did stay in the army for the duration of WW1, during which he was the youngest of his kind to receive a prestigious award. He assumed a civilian role of adviser during the second conflict. 

Edited by neverforget

21 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Neither of those. He did stay in the army for the duration of WW1, during which he was the youngest of his kind to receive a prestigious award. He assumed a civilian role of adviser during the second conflict. 

Geoffrey de Havilland?

Neither of the above two suggestions. 

By the time my photograph was taken he was in the Royal Engineers. He was also later linked with an important breakthrough in the study of DNA, but this has nothing to do with the reason why I posted him, which was very relevant to his war service.

William Lawrence Bragg

2 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

William Lawrence Bragg

Yes indeed. Hopefully @tankengine888 isn't kicking himself too much, being one of his compatriots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Bragg#:~:text=Bragg was commissioned early in,the boom of their firing.

The photo was from here, which includes a much more technical explanation...

https://www.iucr.org/news/newsletter/volume-23/number-1/lawrence-bragg-and-ww1

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Yes indeed. Hopefully @tankengine888 isn't kicking himself too much, being one of his compatriots.

Before the war the family lived in a large house on Grosvenor Road in Leeds, been past it many times. Father was Cavendish professor of physics at the university and was from Cumberland mother was  Australian...does that make him half a compatriot?

4 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Before the war the family lived in a large house on Grosvenor Road in Leeds, been past it many times. Father was Cavendish professor of physics at the university and was from Cumberland mother was  Australian...does that make him half a compatriot?

Without doubt. Bragg was right up your street then. :)

• Admin
16 minutes ago, neverforget said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Bragg#:~:text=Bragg was commissioned early in,the boom of their firing.

The photo was from here, which includes a much more technical explanation...

https://www.iucr.org/news/newsletter/volume-23/number-1/lawrence-bragg-and-ww1

Well found ilkley and what a chap Bragg was. Cheers all!

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Bragg was right up your street then

BBC TV series 'A House Through Time' featured a house on Grosvenor Mount which is about 50 yards away from where the Braggs lived