The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

52 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Tommy Armour?

It isn't UG, although he is often bracketed with Armour as an Englishman who had a major impact on American golf.

26 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is it Charles Mayo from Dudley,? one of 3 golfing brothers, all served in WW1, his youngest brother was KIA, Charles was in the RFC 

Not Mayo Knotty.

It has been argued that my chap's injury in the war led to a change in one of the fundamental concepts in golf

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

It isn't UG, although he is often bracketed with Armour as an Englishman who had a major impact on American golf.

Not Mayo Knotty.

It has been argued that my chap's injury in the war led to a change in one of the fundamental concepts in golf

Is he Herbert Tippet? Physically and mentally scarred by the war, he was an influential course designer - Wiki: “Tippet's courses afforded a more realistic opportunity to achieve par and encouraged bold approach play, which proved equally popular with both professionals and recreational golfers.”

[I imagine some people will know what this means.]

Edited by Uncle George

It is extraordinary how someone can seem so right but is in fact wrong!

My chap influenced golfers rather than the courses. Here he is pre and post war

image.png.7f95e77c397a06d3ea932f57e2170cf5.pngimage.png.e821780a1b6fefc7e74ddff7ad6db5fe.png

1 minute ago, David Ridgus said:

It is extraordinary how someone can seem so right but is in fact wrong!

That’s either profoundly philosophical or a cheap line from a Country and Western song. Or both. 

Is it Ernest Jones who lost his leg during the war and despite his handicap carried on as a professional golfer and was instrumental in developing techniques in hitting the ball.

10 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

That’s either profoundly philosophical or a cheap line from a Country and Western song. Or both. 

I'd like to say it's the former, but to be honest with a childhood spent listening to endless C&W records courtesy of my parents, its probably some sub-conscious memory induced by George Jones or Tammy Wynette. All very Proustian (he says in a desperate attempt to reclaim some intellectual credibility)

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is it Ernest Jones who lost his leg during the war and despite his handicap carried on as a professional golfer and was instrumental in developing techniques in hitting the ball.

Well done! The Berkshire posse strikes again.

This chap is absolutely fascinating. I can do no better than insert a paragraph from his wiki entry:

"Able to walk using crutches, he proceeded to attempt his first round of golf at Royal Norwich in 1916 where he carded an 83 (38/45) on that first outing. He followed shortly thereafter with a 72 on a long and challenging course. While a relief regarding his prospects for continuing the golf profession, these rounds would prove to bring a surprising and revolutionary change to his concept of golf and its instruction. He began to ask himself how it could be that he could yet score so effectively, with such a radical change needing to be made to how his body swung the club having only one leg. Jones himself as well as countless others proved to be able to play well with missing body parts or body parts that were limited in their function. Despite the prevalence of golf instruction that described these missing or malfunctioning parts as being essential, Jones and others demonstrated that a golfer's brain would devise compensating strategies to yet produce fine golf shots. This success, in conjunction with his reading of Sir Walter Simpson's book, "The Art of Golf", brought him to the fundamental fact that the key to a successful golf shot was not the correct movement of certain body parts, but the correct movement of the club. Instead of the movement of body parts, the real key was the successful movement of the golf club. Jones had happened upon the then-little-understood fact that the human brain need only experience a person's desire to perform a task. On its own the brain devises a means to create the muscular action to achieve the task. The individual is only aware of "what" they want to do. The brain's action in deciding "how" it will accomplish the task is completely unconscious. This explains how very proficient golfers often report that they have little understanding of "how" they swing and only understand that they can do so when they choose."

Cricket also had two come to terms with disabled players keen to continue. I know on WIT we've had Lionel Tennyson whose story is equally striking.

David

• Admin

W I T Woof Woof? His owner is very well known!

image.png.f951d4e74955df66ee9e79f6cd5e99af.png

Edited by Bob Davies

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi Bob

I believe it to be either Don or Jack

Knotty you have the answer, Jack is his name. Photo courtesy of IWM. He was a stray on the streets of Brussels.

https://edithcavell.org.uk/edith-cavells-life/1919-2/

image.png.892f358ea3d567f84e423b0dcd35a7bf.png

Edited by Bob Davies

8 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Jack is his name.

Just read the “dog” part of the article and did not know that Jack was subjected to a session of taxidermy at his demise and is on display in the IWM…..everyday a school day as they say👍

Titan of 20th Century literature

william faulkner.jpg

Photograph from his Wiki  page

Edited by ilkley remembers

35 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Titan of 20th Century literature

william faulkner.jpg

Photograph from his Wiki  page

Royal Flying Corps.. White sort of sidecap seems similar to that of an officer in training.. thats all i got

Edited by tankengine888

13 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Royal Flying Corps.. White sort of sidecap seems similar to that of an officer in training.. thats all i got

You are right it is the uniform of a cadet, although, there is some ambiguity about this mans actual membership of the RFC or indeed the RAF.

2 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Well done...yes it is William Faulkner winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature and one of the graetest novelists of the 20th C. Famous for his film scripts including To Have and Have not and The Big Sleep. 

He claimed to have enlisted into the RFC in Toronto but there is no real record of him ever having done so so he may have or may have not been a cadet pilot. Certainly never saw action , although, he claimed to have been involved in crash landings and suffered injury hence the walking stick in the photo.

• Admin
Just now, ilkley remembers said:

Well done...yes it is William Faulkner winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature and one of the graetest novelists of the 20th C. Famous for his film scripts including To Have and Have not and The Big Sleep. 

He claimed to have enlisted into the RFC in Toronto but there is no real record of him ever having done so so he may have or may have not been a cadet pilot. Certainly never saw action , although, he claimed to have been involved in crash landings and suffered injury hence the walking stick in the photo.

Thanks ilkley, I had heard of him,  I never read any of his books mind you. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Bob Davies said:

I never read any of his books mind you.

Read 'The Sound and the fury' years ago but found it a little hard going.....but now that I am older may revisit his work. 

1 hour ago, ilkley remembers said:

Read 'The Sound and the fury' years ago but found it a little hard going.....but now that I am older may revisit his work. 

I fear you will still find it hard going, largely because it is hard going. It's right up there with Ulysses. Frankly, life's too short

David

27 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

It's right up there with Ulyss

Barely got past the first few pages before giving up, however, thought Dubliners was an excellent read. Strange how individual taste in literature changes with age, loved raeding E M Forster at school but wouldn't dream of looking at it now

5 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Strange how individual taste in literature changes with age, loved raeding E M Forster at school but wouldn't dream of looking at it now

I know what you mean. I used to love reading Russian literature as a teenager (channeling my inner Raskolnikov like many a gloomy boy in the 60s and 70s). But now, read The  Brothers Karamazov? You must be joking, I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon

Great Scot or not? We've had him before (which probably goes without saying) and some of the longer serving inmates will get him immediately, so if you know don't let it show. For a bit at least. Let's let the young guard and the top new signings have a shot at him.

F. Owls.

Greatscotornot.png.af308f5b4a5b934f8af03cb1a20ac8d9.png

Edited by Fattyowls
pants punctuation

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Great Scot or not? We've had him before (which probably goes without saying) and some of the longer serving inmates will get him immediately, so if you know don't let it show. For a bit at least. Let's let the young guard and the top new signings have a shot at him.

F. Owls.

Greatscotornot.png.af308f5b4a5b934f8af03cb1a20ac8d9.png

Thank you Pete, at the moment if he was a bright red barn door 20 feet away I could not hit him:lol:

I will have a look out side, I may be some time!

8 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I will have a look out side, I may be some time!

Don't forget to take your mittens captain......

He's part of a recent theme.

Pete.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Don't forget to take your mittens captain......

He's part of a recent theme.

Pete.

So when the Missus asks "What you doin' Bob?"

I answer "Looking for a Scotsman."

You will know why I might be banned from using the computer :lol:

Anyhow,  the only writer I can think of that is a Scot, is John Buchan. I read his books years back when I was but a lad. Wikipedia says he was commissioned so it rules him out?