The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I said great Scot or not and it's not so not Buchan. He was more Irish than Scots, but another country raised Scots units......

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I said great Scot or not and it's not so not Buchan. He was more Irish than Scots, but another country raised Scots units......

Canadians, possible, I will continue....edit; London Scottish?.....

Edited by Bob Davies

Or Liverpool or Newcastle Scottish. But you were right first time. Enlisted in Vancouver having crossed the border. He came to me after reading about one of the recent literary lions.

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Or Liverpool or Newcastle Scottish. But you were right first time. Enlisted in Vancouver having crossed the border. He came to me after reading about one of the recent literary lions.

Thank you Pete, I am struggling with this one, worse than a cat in a drain pipe!

The vertically challenged detective

"I'm not very tall either. Next time, I'll come on stilts, wear a white tie and carry a tennis racket."

On blondes -

"From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away."

“It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window.”

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

"From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away."

“It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window.”

"She tried to sit on my lap while I was standing up."

“All dames are alike: they reach down your throat so they can grab your heart, pull it out and they throw it on the floor, and they step on it with their high heels, they spit on it, shove it in the oven and they cook the sh*t out of it. Then they slice it into little pieces, slam it on a hunk of toast, and they serve it to you. And they expect you to say, ‘Thanks, honey, it's delicious’. “

Rigby Reardon

Well I can't resist getting in on this act. Two of my favourites are:

"...the subject was as easy to spot as a kangaroo in a dinner jacket"

and his description of Moose Malloy

"...he looked about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food cake"

I also loved his description of his own office (this is from memory sp no quote marks) in which he says there are filing cabinets full of nothing but air, and a carpet that was just something on the floor.

David

Resistance is futile. I'm just intrigued as to what Zidane makes of all this when he wakes to find a whole series of  potentially meaningless clues.....

• Admin
21 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I for one will need more clues please Pete. I have been through hundreds of them, just not found anyone anywhere near close!

However I just worked it out....Raymond Chandler. Thanks for the clues @ilkley remembers and all :thumbsup:

Edited by Bob Davies

9 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I for one will need more clues please Pete. I have been through hundreds of them, just not found anyone anywhere near close!

Bob, stick any of the last half a dozen posts into a well known search engine and the answer will become very clear!

David

• Admin
3 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Bob, stick any of the last half a dozen posts into a well known search engine and the answer will become very clear!

David

I just did and edited my last post David, thank you. I realised that they must be something, so copy and paste and there he was.

Edited by Bob Davies

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Not really cricket, old boy.

Tell that to Steve Smith and David Warner

5 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I just did and edited my last post David, thank you. I realised that they must be something, so copy and paste and there he was.

He really was the most quotable of authors

• Admin
2 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

He really was the most quotable of authors

I had never heard of him before now David, must educate myself a little more!

• Admin
10 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

So Who is this?

I know him so I will not say :lol:

30 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I know him so I will not say :lol:

Hi David ( & Bob)

I won’t spoil it either as according to the records I put him up a few years back😁😂

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi David ( & Bob)

I won’t spoil it either as according to the records I put him up a few years back😁😂

:thumbsup: I will resist the temptation to post clues :devilgrin:

7 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I will resist the temptation to post clues

I can resist everything but temptation. I too think I recognise David's man; it's the stuff that dreams are made of.

Congratulations on getting Raymond Chandler, as David said there are so many quotes. I've spent a fun evening looking through them. I may match some to fourty year old photos......

Pete.

You are all being too kind. To be honest it was intended as a quick follow up to Chandler - so obvious as to be easily identified. 

Please feel free to deliver the coup de grace

Edited by David Ridgus

Just now, David Ridgus said:

You are both being too kind. To be honest it was intended as a quick follow up to Chandler - so obvious as to be easily identified.

I quite like the idea of leaving it open for Zidane to discover; he and Chandler are part of any liberal education. As one said of the other "He gave murder back to the kind of people that commit it for reasons, not just to provide a corpse; and with the means at hand, not hand-wrought dueling pistols, curare and tropical fish".

16 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I too think I recognise David's man;

You should do Pete, you helped identify him🤣🤣

19 minutes ago, Knotty said:

you helped identify him

Quite possibly Mr K, but as Sam Goldwyn would say, a lot of water has been passed since then......

15 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

a lot of water has been passed since then

Yep it was BC