The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

12 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Time 22:26 and this just popped in, so an hour or so after you posted, there is probably a bit of an issue with the servers, anyway thanks for the additional information, still not much wiser😁

His mini flight of the populace was from his palatial home in East Prussia. He was officially a Prince, as was his father and grandfather before him. He went on to become a successful businessman in his own right, and also wrote a couple of books. The breed that he managed to save from extinction was a breed of horses. He died in Switzerland 3 years before his hundredth birthday.

The other low-life was executed for war crimes.

Off to bed now.

Hope this is correct, the good guy is Wilhelm Hermann Alexander Fürst zu Dohna-Schlobitten (the top guy in photos) , who refused to sign an execution order on American soldiers in WW2, the other is Anton Dostle, who did sign the order. He was subsequently caught,tried and unusually shot.

Its now Tuesday and this one’s taken me ages, so good night 😁

8 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hope this is correct, the good guy is Wilhelm Hermann Alexander Fürst zu Dohna-Schlobitten (the top guy in photos) , who refused to sign an execution order on American soldiers in WW2, the other is Anton Dostle, who did sign the order. He was subsequently caught,tried and unusually shot.

Its now Tuesday and this one’s taken me ages, so good night 😁

Yes, good answer, John. In March 1944, a U.S. Army commando group of 15 men had landed near La Spezia to blow up railway tunnels as part of Operation Ginny II but were captured by German and Italian troops. Even though these men were wearing US Army uniforms (and were therefore POWs), Dohna was ordered to sign the execution orders. However, Dohna refused to do so as this would have violated the 1929 Geneva Convention on Prisoners of War (thereby constituting a war crime); he was dismissed from the Wehrmacht for this insubordination. Dohna returned to Schlobitten during the Soviet Army take-over. He organized the flight of the populace of his estates and left Schlobitten on 22 January 1945. With 330 refugees, 140 horses and 38 horse carts he arrived at Hoya on 20 March 1945. The caravan brought Trakehner horses with them, including 31 broodmares, ensuring the survival of that breed.

Anton Dostler's plea of superior orders failed before the tribunal, which found that in ordering the mass execution he had acted on his own outside the Führer's orders. The Military Commission also rejected his plea for clemency, declaring that the mass execution of the commando party was in violation of Article 2 of the 1929 Geneva Convention on Prisoners of War. Of the Nazi war criminals to be executed by the U.S. military, Dostler was one of only two who were shot instead of hanged. The other exception was Curt Bruns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_zu_Dohna-Schlobitten_(1899–1997)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Dostler

8 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Anton Dostler's

Morning Steve

Burning a little midnight oil after sending, I now know who Dostler is, he’s that photo of a high ranking officer being tied to the stake. Everyday etc….

As an aside Virginmedia has been having issues with Mail/Message and internet since yesterday they have just about got it fixed, complains peaked at 25000 per hour overnight,some angry people around🤬

Yes, I've seen the video of him being shot. One of the bullets went through his elbow. I don't think that all members of the firing squad were feeling inclined to give him a clean and swift exit.

We have been having problems too over the last couple of days. Fingers crossed all seems to be well at the moment. 

There has been no problem with Virgin Media in this neck of the woods which is unusual since connectivity interuptions occur with alarming frequency. These two gentlemen patently disagreed about the solution to a particular problem, but in the end harmony won the day.

armstrong levy.jpg

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

The caravan brought Trakehner horses with them, including 31 broodmares, ensuring the survival of that breed.

A law-abiding citizen and a saviour of very good horses... I like the guy. 

Trakehners are known to be very stubborn horses. But if you have their confidence... My sister used to ride one in competition: Hagar (the-not-terrible) van de Kleine Heide. Even the biggest horse-dummy could see that those two belonged together and they would have made it far had the owner not decided to sell Hagar. Broke my sister's heart !! 

M.

30 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

A law-abiding citizen and a saviour of very good horses... I like the guy. 

Trakehners are known to be very stubborn horses. But if you have their confidence... My sister used to ride one in competition: Hagar (the-not-terrible) van de Kleine Heide. Even the biggest horse-dummy could see that those two belonged together and they would have made it far had the owner not decided to sell Hagar. Broke my sister's heart !! 

M.

Small world, made smaller by W.I.T. :)

1 hour ago, ilkley remembers said:

There has been no problem with Virgin Media in this neck of the woods which is unusual since connectivity interuptions occur with alarming frequency. These two gentlemen patently disagreed about the solution to a particular problem, but in the end harmony won the day.

armstrong levy.jpg

“patently” - is this to do with the log-jam in US aviation caused by the Wright Brothers’ patent? And is that civilian  Robert Goddard?

Not aviation Uncle G but I can tell you that the chap on the left spent the war in a hut at the bottom of a big pylon. Post war was spent arguing with the guy on the right whose own pylon came into its own on 9/11.

Chap on the right is he a major in US Signals going by his uniform and the tags on his collar? So something to do with radio?

56 minutes ago, Knotty said:

hap on the right is he a major in US Signals going by his uniform and the tags on his collar? So something to do with radio?

Yes he is a major and yes it is to do with radio. The chap on the left was in the French Army, although, not sure what his rank was.

8 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is the French chap Georges Painvin?

It isn't this man but my Frenchman was part of the code breaking process only he was at the other end listening to conversations

EDIT Think of the pylon as a mast

Edited by ilkley remembers

Another clue. The pylon that our Frenchman sat under was in fact the Eiffel Tower.

7 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Another clue. The pylon that our Frenchman sat under was in fact the Eiffel Tower.

The French chap is Lucien Lévy.

And the American is Edwin Howard Armstrong.

44 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

The French chap is Lucien Lévy.

And the American is Edwin Howard Armstrong.

Well done Uncle G you got them.

The link is something called a Superheterodyne circuit whatever one of them is? Don't remember it being on the CSE Physics syllabus, but anyway they are integral to radio receivers and their invention allowed the development of Frequency Modulation.

Levy claimed the invention and alleged that Armstrong pinched it. All went to litigation and M'learned friends had a field day. The patents in the end were shared.

Armstrong contributed many inventions but seems to have spent much of his life in the courts over patents. In the end he killed himself by jumping from the 14th floor of a building because of a variety of problems brought on by the court cases.

The link with 9/11 is that during the attack the antenna the on the WTC were destroyed and TV signals were routed via an old communications mast that Armstrong had constructed on the banks of the Hudson River in the 1930s.

The advances in radio communications occurred to me this morning after picking up my replacements hearing aids from hospital which have connectivity which Armstrong and Levy could only have dreamed of.

7 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

There has been no problem with Virgin Media in this neck of the woods

Went down again about 2-3 hours ago, just found Lévy and was going to check if he was a contender 

Never mind, hope this post makes it, well done UG, good WIT find IR

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Went down again about 2-3 hours ago, just found Lévy and was going to check if he was a contender 

Never mind, hope this post makes it, well done UG, good WIT find IR

Can sympathise re VM mine went down this evening for over an hour. Well done anyway you were clearly hot on the trail

This man was awarded a great number of gallantry medals, including one (for which he suffered more than ten wounds),  presented to him by Foch. In the action which resulted in this most prestigious of awards, every one of the soldiers he was leading in that attack was killed...20230405_115420.jpg.cd2eba18ef34083565ac90345385626b.jpg

Edited by neverforget

Has the look of a pugilist if you ask me😁 Possibly American?

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Has the look of a pugilist if you ask me😁 Possibly American?

Right on both counts John. 

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Right on both counts

Both guesses so now to put the meat on the bone😁 he looked a bit like the middleweight Ketchel but he was killed (shot) before the GW.

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Both guesses so now to put the meat on the bone😁 he looked a bit like the middleweight Ketchel but he was killed (shot) before the GW.

No, he survived the war just about. I doubt if you will find him by looking at boxers, as his career was quite brief and not really notable, though he was a pro for a while. He has an Irish/Liverpudlian background. Fought in the American army before and during WW1. Refused to have his legs amputed as doctors recommended, and proved that decision to be justified. 

I have to go awol for a couple of hours now as I have an appointment with my lung surgeon to discuss my up and coming surgery, (and fingers crossed get a date for it) so I will leave you with this....20230405_121519.jpg.610abd844398a7da39f5fac0b1635c80.jpg