The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

American and the highest decoration from Foch... Légion d'Honneur?? 

There's Eugene Bullard, "l'hirondelle noire" ... 

But not sure at all ... 

M.

Edited by Marilyne

8 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

But not sure at all ... 

M.

Not him Marilyne. 

17 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

But not sure at all ... 

M.

His award from Foch was for America's highest award. M.O.H. He did also receive the Croix de Guerre and the Médaille militaire
(French Republic)

I’ve got him @neverforget, presented his MoH by Foch in 1921 for his actions on the 30 July 1918 at the Ourcq River serving with the American 165th, he was still convalescing from his wounds, not all received in the aforementioned action.
It took a while putting together all the Medal honours …

Trust doctors went ok

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

I’ve got him @neverforget, presented his MoH by Foch in 1921 for his actions on the 30 July 1918 at the Ourcq River serving with the American 165th, he was still convalescing from his wounds, not all received in the aforementioned action.

Trust doctors went ok

Seems a bit odd for a French General handing out a high foreign honour to a foreign soldier.. then again, the MM was dished out to French Soldiers, and CDeG's to other Allied countries.

6 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Seems a bit odd for a French General handing

Foch was in the US visiting and the army granted him permission to carry out  the ceremony in hospital.

Just now, Knotty said:

Foch was in the US visiting and the army granted him permission to carry out  the ceremony in hospital.

I see, rather interesting that.

I'm off to bed, last day of school for the term tomorrow!

1 minute ago, tankengine888 said:

I see, rather interesting that.

That’s providing I have the right chap😁😁

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Trust doctors went ok

Yes, the very same, seen here with his pretty impressive gong collection. 20230405_113732.jpg.11eaf60d2294a8d5b5a4c884ddf25c7e.jpg

Substantial biography here, including his M.O.H. citation. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_W._O'Neill

Re. my appointment; the surgeon said I wasn't physically in shape to undergo the surgery at present, so he's pencilled me in  to have it in 6 weeks time, provided I undertake a pulmonary rehab course in the meantime. Gives him plenty of time to sharpen his hatchet I suppose. I did my first session of rehab today, so feeling pretty whacked at the moment. 

22 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I did my first session of rehab today, so feeling pretty whacked at the moment. 

Take care of yourself, we must get together before you go in, trouble is I have a busy few weeks till early May.

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

Take care of yourself, we must get together before you go in, trouble is I have a busy few weeks till early May.

Cheers John. I intend to make sure my right arm training doesn't get too neglected in the meantime. Hope to meet up for the one with you before D day.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Cheers John. I intend to make sure my right arm training doesn't get too neglected in the meantime. Hope to meet up for the one with you before D day.

I've got this image of you with this massive muscular right arm able to lift a watering can full of Bathams as a result of your fitness regime. I am also directed by my responsible grown up to wish you all the best for your preparation.

Pete.

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I've got this image of you with this massive muscular right arm able to lift a watering can full of Bathams as a result of your fitness regime. I am also directed by my responsible grown up to wish you all the best for your preparation.

Pete.

That's very kind Pete, and much appreciated. Please pass on my thanks to her. It is a pretty gruelling regime I'm being pushed into, but all in a good cause I suppose. The fitter I can get the better chance I have of coming through the surgery ok, and the shorter the recovery period will be.

I have a plan in place to alternate my drinking arm on each visit to the watering hole. :thumbsup:

38 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I have a plan in place to alternate my drinking arm on each visit to the watering hole

And wearing something to stop solar panel sunburn assuming your outdoors in the fresh air

IMG_3566.jpeg

:w00t: That might come in handy for my period of convalescence. :D

All good wishes from down here in the Royal County Steve. I'm sure a comfortable victory for Brum over the relegation favourites on Friday will assist in your preparations!

David

5 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

All good wishes from down here in the Royal County Steve. I'm sure a comfortable victory for Brum over the relegation favourites on Friday will assist in your preparations!

David

Many thanks for the kind thoughts David. I'm looking forward to having it all behind me.

Regarding Friday's game; we're safe now so I wouldn't begrudge Reading 3 points towards their relegation battle. I deplore points being deducted from teams, which only serves to punish the innocent; i.e. the fans especially, and also the players, instead of targeting the people who were actually personally responsible for the financial regulations etc. 

I will be rooting for Reading to survive. :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I will be rooting for Reading to survive

Well that’s 2 of us, David makes 3……mmmm Pete😂

And me, as David knows Reading and Birmingham are the two Championship results we always look out for.

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

And me, as David knows Reading and Birmingham are the two Championship results we always look out for.

Steady on, I will soon be reminiscing about the old Elm Park days on the South Bank, I believe it’s a housing estate now

26 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Let’s get back on track, WIT, one of three I believe

IMG_3567.jpeg

Is he one of the first American casualties of the war? If so, possibly Corporal James Bethel Gresham, 16th Infantry Regiment.

13 hours ago, neverforget said:

Re. my appointment; the surgeon said I wasn't physically in shape to undergo the surgery at present, so he's pencilled me in  to have it in 6 weeks time, provided I undertake a pulmonary rehab course in the meantime. Gives him plenty of time to sharpen his hatchet I suppose. I did my first session of rehab today, so feeling pretty whacked at the moment. 

Take care of yourself!!! 

Sending lots of positive energy!!!! 

M.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

Take care of yourself!!! 

Sending lots of positive energy!!!! 

M.

Thanks Marilyne. 

I'm sure I've seen John's one of three somewhere before, but as usual can't place him. 

8 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Is he one of the first American casualties of the war? If so, possibly Corporal James Bethel Gresham, 16th Infantry Regiment.

That’s the fellow, the image is a crop from a newspaper article shown with his other two compatriots killled at the same time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bethel_Gresham

This is a better article from where I got the image

https://greatwarpittsburgh.com/?p=108

Edited by Knotty