Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

32 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Haber and Bosch?

Artificial fertilizers

No. More, er, offensive.

On 05/04/2023 at 16:39, neverforget said:

Re. my appointment …

Hi Steve - email notifications are a bit hit-and-miss down here in West Devon so my best wishes are rather late, but no less warm for all that. On checking I see it is four years since I sent you that PM , saying, “With your positive attitude I am sure that we shall be sparring on WiT for many years to come.” And so it came to pass! And many more to come I have no doubt.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Hi Steve - email notifications are a bit hit-and-miss down here in West Devon so my best wishes are rather late, but no less warm for all that. On checking I see it is four years since I sent you that PM , saying, “With your positive attitude I am sure that we shall be sparring on WiT for many years to come.” And so it came to pass! And many more to come I have no doubt.

Many thanks kind sir. Much appreciated, K. My stubborn streak has proved to be worth its weight in gold. Long may our sparring continue. :thumbsup:

Regarding your latest; I really haven't the foggiest, but reading between the lines of the last couple of posts, might we be looking at a weapons related subject?

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Many thanks kind sir. Much appreciated, K. My stubborn streak has proved to be worth its weight in gold. Long may our sparring continue. :thumbsup:

Regarding your latest; I really haven't the foggiest, but reading between the lines of the last couple of posts, might we be looking at a weapons related subject?

Yes; we have established I think that we are looking at a German offensive innovation which isn’t gas.

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Yes; we have established I think that we are looking at a German offensive innovation which isn’t gas.

That's me; as astute as ever :D

Is it Richard Fiedler?

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Is it Richard Fiedler?

No, but I said he was one of two - Fiedler was the other one.

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

No, but I said he was one of two - Fiedler was the other one.

Bernhard Reddeman then?

27 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Nicely played @neverforget, I was on my way down the V weapon track, good one  @Uncle George, flammenwerfer was not on the radar.

Beginner's luck as usual. :)

• Admin
2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Beginner's luck as usual. :)

Great job @neverforget I am glad I did not have to spend more hours searching :lol: Great choice  @Uncle George

WIT, a planner with a penchant for writing books on his ideas,doesn’t appear to have been on here before, but I may be wrong 🤔

IMG_3571.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

7 hours ago, Knotty said:

WIT, a planner with a penchant for writing books on his ideas,doesn’t appear to have been on here before, but I may be wrong 🤔

Looks like Fuller 

9 hours ago, Knotty said:

IMG_3571.jpeg

Agree with IR - looks like Boney Fuller.

2 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Looks like Fuller 

And it is J F C Fuller, one of those who planned the tank usage element at the Battle of Cambrai and its future use in the 1918 final advances. He went on to write the acclaimed Nine Principles of War amongst many other books on strategy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._F._C._Fuller

Well spotted @ilkley remembers

31 minutes ago, Knotty said:

And it is J F C Fuller, one of those who planned the tank usage element at the Battle of Cambrai and its future use in the 1918 final advances. He went on to write the acclaimed Nine Principles of War amongst many other books on strategy.

Still have his 3 volume Decisive Battles and his Conduct of War 17 something to 19 something which are excellent reads and well researched. Rather a pity about his politics which certainly went against the prevailing mood in the 1940s

In a similar vein to @Knotty 's JFC Fuller another influential writter on military matters during the inter war years, however ,,this chap is the polar opposite in his political views. Served in the RFC during WW1

wintringham.jpg

Just now, Knotty said:

1789-1961

Yes I think that you are right...never very good with numbers

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

I will back off @ilkley remembers, I had him on my list so I can cross him off😁

Great minds think alike

16 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

In a similar vein to @Knotty 's JFC Fuller another influential writter on military matters during the inter war years, however ,,this chap is the polar opposite in his political views. Served in the RFC during WW1

wintringham.jpg

He is Tom Wintringham.

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He is Tom Wintringham.

He certainly is Tom Wintringham. Marxist writer and veteran of both WW1 and Spanish Civil War. Well known in his day and he writes very lucidly...have some of his books upstairs somewhere...chucked out of the British Communist party for marrying a Trot and stood for the Labour party in elections instead.

Photo from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wintringham

• Admin

For a relaxed Monday evenings educational. W i t?

image.png.0e13cb749b91c77565ac43b4cb2cb9f2.png