The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

This man served in the RNAS Kite Balloon section during WW1. He is pictures some years later apparently on the phone to his turf accountant.......

Yes, Pete - hole in one! :D

Thanks Colin, but you have clearly not seen me play golf. I should add that the man I have just posted has no connections to creatures of the woodland floor or any geopgraphical significance.

Pete.

This man served in the RNAS Kite Balloon section during WW1. He is pictures some years later apparently on the phone to his turf accountant.......

Thanks Colin, but you have clearly not seen me play golf. I should add that the man I have just posted has no connections to creatures of the woodland floor or any geopgraphical significance.

Pete.

But he does have an avian connection, via his section. :)

No idea who is is though, I have to say....

Breaking away briefly from our sub-themes, if only to recharge the old brain cells, these two soldiers are not particularly connected to anything. Except each other.

Who are they???post-95959-0-49835800-1422142422_thumb.jpost-95959-0-18411700-1422142760_thumb.j

One served in a tank battalion. The other was involved at Cambrai, but not in a tank. Won the Military Cross.

EDIT: Have changed one of the pictures, as it may have been incorrectly labelled in the E.L.

This man served in the RNAS Kite Balloon section during WW1. He is pictured some years later looking like he is on the phone to his turf accountant.......

Pete.

Showing my age I fear. It's that man again, Tommy Handley?

R.

Showing my age I fear. It's that man again, Tommy Handley?

R.

It is Tommy Handley, Merseyside born comedian and radio star of the interwar years and WW2 with the series ITMA. I have heard relatively little few of the original recordings but I find the humour passes me by nearly 8 decades later. Handley was a card however and I'm sure it would be a laugh flying kites with him.

Pete.

Nice local find, Pete.

Long silences tend to prompt me into releasing more clues, so I`ll further add that one of them was knighted, and the other an O.B.E.

They are linked by their profession and are not related.

NF, I was just looking at your original and supplementary clues and I still haven't the foggiest. I was just reading in another thread about the number of MCs awarded which was much greater than I would have guessed. I'll have to keep a watching brief on this one.

Pete

NF, I was just looking at your original and supplementary clues and I still haven't the foggiest. I was just reading in another thread about the number of MCs awarded which was much greater than I would have guessed. I'll have to keep a watching brief on this one.

Pete

Medicine.

EDIT: Both names begin with B.

Edited by neverforget

It is Tommy Handley, Merseyside born comedian and radio star of the interwar years and WW2 with the series ITMA. I have heard relatively little few of the original recordings but I find the humour passes me by nearly 8 decades later. Handley was a card however and I'm sure it would be a laugh flying kites with him.

Pete.

Congratulations to my good friend Mr Owls, as the above post was the 10,000th of this and it's predecessor WIT. Our views total passed the 100,000 mark some time ago. Where will it end!

David

Congratulations to my good friend Mr Owls, as the above post was the 10,000th of this and it's predecessor WIT. Our views total passed the 100,000 mark some time ago. Where will it end!

David

Is this one of those pop ups which says that you are the 10,000th visitor and have won an I-pad? 10,000 posts; who'd have thought it?

Pete.

Sorry Pete, my post was written on an iPad but that's the closest I can get.

Quite a milestone. Foundations quite firmly laid I would say. Still a long way to go yet. :thumbsup:

Looks like it`s time to wind up my latest offering, so a final set of clues to hopefully give them away. The "Sir" was also a nobel prize winner, and a Fellow of the Royal Society. There is a permanent flame in his honour, which I hope will lead you to him on the square that is also named after him. It was he that won the Military cross.

The other chap, O.B.E. was also a fellow of the Royal Society of London, and has three schools named after him.

Jointly, they were responsible for a medical breakthrough in the treatment of a blood related disease.

Canadians.

Medicine.

EDIT: Both names begin with B.

One of them must be Sir Frederick Banting co-discoverer and first person to use insulin on humans.

His assistant was Charles Best, but I think he did not serve in the GW.

Cheers

Colin

Edit - Oh yes he did - and in a tank batallion too....

Back to flyers - nothing to do with birds of the air, beasts of the field or creatures of the sea, just one of the most despicable characters of the 20th century

post-116807-0-55278100-1422189494_thumb.

Well done Colin. Developed insulin injections for humans. Whttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_of_Hope_(diabetes)

Your chap has to be Hermann Goering, surely?

Any ideas on this fellow???post-95959-0-60539300-1422190384_thumb.j

A deserter who ended up being decorated by George V in person.

Military Cross and bar. Joined a sportsman`s battalion.

Not starting a W.I.T. subtheme, but if I were, this one would come under the heading of "colours".

Your chap has to be Hermann Goering, surely?

Yes, correct!

If your man was decorated by the king, I guess he got the VC too.....?

Cheers

Colin

Yes, correct!

If your man was decorated by the king, I guess he got the VC too.....?

Cheers

Colin

No V.C. The King awarded him his military cross and bar. At the time no one knew of his desertion. He came clean after the war, writing to His Majesty asking for a pardon, which the King granted.

Showed outstanding bravery several times, and was wounded several times.

Carried with him a very dark secret. Either of his two known surnames will do.

Henry Louie/Norwest ? But that's points of the compass rather than colours and he was Canadian and did not survive....

I'm a bit confused whether MM (post 1770) or MC (post 1772) and bar

Henry Louie/Norwest ? But that's points of the compass rather than colours and he was Canadian and did not survive....

I'm a bit confused whether MM (post 1770) or MC (post 1772) and bar

Not Henry L Norwest, but that`s a great find. Incidentally, on the points of the compass theme, we may still have U.G`s post #1738 to find. My suggestion of Chester West was based solely on looking through the list of Medal of Honor recipients to see if there were any who fitted the points of the compass bill. It is a remarkably short list, and there is only one possible contender,Chester West. However, I may well have been barking up the wrong tree, and he might not be "compass" related.

Apologies for the confusion. It was the Military Cross and bar for my man. His bar was finally won in the closing weeks of the war, during an attack on Ledeghem in 1918.

"??? who also he received his division’s card of honour four times during his career – again carried the red flag. He and his party moved so far ahead of the main advance they captured 28 Germans and held out under heavy trench mortar and machine-gun fire until the remainder of the brigade arrived. He attracted heavy fire throughout the action and was eventually severely wounded; his right leg was amputated."

He was talked of as a traitor and a spy, and a bullet was placed in his mother’s letter-box.
Thanks for pointing out my error, I`ll go back and change the previous post.

I can see a medal of Honor winner called Chester West, if I have been following directions correctly, but can't find a picture.

Sorry for the delay: yes it is indeed Chester H. West. His Medal of Honor citation:

"While making his way through a thick fog with his automatic rifle section, his advance was halted by direct and unusual machinegun fire from 2 guns. Without aid, he at once dashed through the fire and, attacking the nest, killed 2 of the gunners, 1 of whom was an officer. This prompt and decisive hand-to-hand encounter on his part enabled his company to advance farther without the loss of a man."

Any ideas on this fellow???attachicon.gifsportsman.jpg

A deserter who ended up being decorated by George V in person.

Military Cross and bar. Joined a sportsman`s battalion.

Not starting a W.I.T. subtheme, but if I were, this one would come under the heading of "colours".

This is Lesley Schwarz.

EDIT: apologies - this man's correct name is Walter Leslie Schwarz.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/schwarz-walter-leslie-8363