The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

At the risk of overdoing it about the size of the cemetery at Romagnes.....

post-101238-0-17983700-1422569803_thumb.

Another Brown, but this time Colin Peter

David

Swiftly and humanely dispatched, David.

I have been saving this one especially for you.

Now why would I do that???post-95959-0-54142200-1422570180_thumb.j

"Bravest of the brave"

Sorry, I must go to bed now. Up at 4.

EDIT: (NO Sub-theme).

Edited by neverforget

Ah this one I know straight away. 2nd Lieutenant Frederick Youens, VC winner and teacher.

Thank you NF

David

At the risk of overdoing it about the size of the cemetery at Romagnes.....

No I think that picture absolutely justifies your description Pete - astonishing

Here's a much better known snap of my chap at #1825

post-66715-0-17624400-1422572019_thumb.j

David

Ah this one I know straight away. 2nd Lieutenant Frederick Youens, VC winner and teacher.

Thank you NF

David

No I think that picture absolutely justifies your description Pete - astonishing

I thought you might recognise him,David. Wondered if you`d seen this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10649262/Window-cleaners-and-teachers-the-bravest-professions-of-WW1.html

I`m wondering if David`s chap could be Edmund Blunden?

NF, you could be on to something. I wondered about the clue being in the word versed but I'd not thought of Blunden. He was supposed to be fanatical about cricket but apparently batted without gloves, playing the game "ardently but very badly" according to his obituary in the Guardian. Orwell described him thus:

"The test of a true cricketer is that he shall prefer village cricket to 'good' cricket [.... Blunden's] friendliest memories are of the informal village game, where everyone plays in braces, where the blacksmith is liable to be called away in mid-innings on an urgent job, and sometimes, about the time when the light begins to fail, a ball driven for four kills a rabbit on the boundary."

If it isn't Blunden then it should be.

Pete

If it isn't Blunden then it should be.

Pete

Well sorry about that chaps but it isn't Blunden. I'm surprised you haven't got this one Pete as this is such an iconic post-Great War cricket picture. I'm presuming Mr Broomfield is not reading the thread at the moment as I'm sure he would spot him.

David

Well sorry about that chaps but it isn't Blunden. I'm surprised you haven't got this one Pete as this is such an iconic post-Great War cricket picture. I'm presuming Mr Broomfield is not reading the thread at the moment as I'm sure he would spot him.

David

I know, I've seen the photo before but I fear those brain cells are long gone......

Pete.

I know, I've seen the photo before but I fear those brain cells are long gone......

Pete.

One if the few signs of resistance in the post war hammering from the Aussies

He is indeed UG. The Hon. L H Tennyson, epitome of the dashing Edwardian cricketer who ironically had his best years as captain of a very utilitarian bunch of professionals at Hampshire in the decade after the Great War. Wounded three times he was renowned for arriving back at the front line armed with a case of champagne to 'celebrate' his return.

The next fellow should enable my sub-theme to become apparent. Who is this?

post-66715-0-40028500-1422656944_thumb.j

David

Caressed to the boundary uncle, and while we are looking for the man looking for the puck, what is the link from David's previous with this man?

Pete.

post-101238-0-64923100-1422657581_thumb.

It looks a bit (but probably not enough) like Bert Oldfield. He has featured in these pages before and the link would be being wounded in the war, Oldfield suffering a dreadful head injury.

David

Not enough like Bert Oldfield to actually be Bert Oldfield I am afraid. But you are on the right track.

Pete.

Not enough like Bert Oldfield to actually be Bert Oldfield I am afraid. But you are on the right track.

Pete.

Well this one is very annoying. Not craggy enough for Herbie Collins, too craggy for Johnny Taylor, and Jack Ryder didn't serve. That's it for lean faced post-Great War Aussies that I can think of. I was reminded that I missed a trick not posting 'Stork' Hendry during the avian sub-theme

David

Well t I was reminded that I missed a trick not posting 'Stork' Hendry during the avian sub-theme

David

Hopefully all of these sub-themes are still "alive" and ongoing anyway. We could simply mention any connection at the time of posting?

Well this one is very annoying. Not craggy enough for Herbie Collins, too craggy for Johnny Taylor, and Jack Ryder didn't serve. That's it for lean faced post-Great War Aussies that I can think of. I was reminded that I missed a trick not posting 'Stork' Hendry during the avian sub-theme

David

My father would talk of this man in hushed reverential tones (which was unusual for him). I've been trying to find out about his service as I think I read that he was affected psycologically (who wouldn't be) but I can't find the reference anymore.

Nice to see Daniel and Khaki back on the treadmill; I was interested to read of Hauptmann's service, most of which seems to be alleged. As for Carl's fresh faced young riders could they possibly be related? I will be slightly disappointed if there is no connection with King Albert though.

Pete.

Bruno Hauptman

khaki

Indeed! The man tried, convicted and executed for the kidnapping of the child of Charles Lindbergh.

Bruno Richard Hauptman

Hauptmann was born in 1899 in Kamenz, a small town in Saxony, Germany.

After elementary school he became a carpenter's apprentice. His father died in 1917, and two of his brothers were killed in WWI. At the age of seventeen, Hauptmann also served a year and a half in the German army as a machine gunner. He was wounded in 1918 and discharged.

After returning home, Hauptmann engaged in petty theft and armed robbery. He and an accomplice burglarized the home of the Mayor of Kamenz by using a ladder to gain entrance through a second story window. For this and other crimes Hauptmann spent three years in prison. Less than a month after his release, he was arrested again for possession of stolen tools. Before his case came to trial, Hauptmann managed to escape. With some difficulty, he then fled to the United States. He married Anna Schoeffler in October of 1925.

He made a living as a carpenter and small time stock speculator. Soon after the Lindbergh ransom was paid however, his stock investments grew in size and he quit his job as a carpenter.

On Sept 19, 1934 he was arrested after passing one of the Lindbergh ransom bills. Claiming he was only holding the money for a recently deceased business associate, Isador Fisch, Hauptmann denied being involved in the kidnapping. He was tried and convicted in the celebrated "Trial of the Century." Despite the chance to save his life, he refused to confess. After exhausting all his appeals, he was executed on April 3, 1936.

http://www.nj.com/lindbergh/hunterdon/index.ssf?/lindbergh/stories/hauptman.html

Good one, Daniel. Kind of lived in a parallel universe to Lee Harvey Oswald, in as much as we will probably never know the true extent of either man's guilt.
Still stumped on Pete's fellow, and Carl`s duo.

Good one, Daniel. Kind of lived in a parallel universe to Lee Harvey Oswald, in as much as we will probably never know the true extent of either man's guilt.

Still stumped on Pete's fellow.

Stumped is not appropriate in his case. He was one of a pair and contributed to a golden age in the decade after the war.

Pete.

Stumped is not appropriate in his case. He was one of a pair and contributed to a golden age in the decade after the war.

Pete.

In that case (and I understand your father's reverence with his Lancastrian links) it must be the saturnine Ted McDonald. Very much on the Spofforth, Lindwall, Lillee, Johnson uncompromising side of Aussie fast bowlers. Curious how often such men are paired with sunnier characters like Gregory, Miller and Thomson for instance (I know Thomson talked of liking to see blood on the pitch but he was too much the good time larrikin to be even a pantomime villain)

David