The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Good one, Daniel. Kind of lived in a parallel universe to Lee Harvey Oswald, in as much as we will probably never know the true extent of either man's guilt.

Still stumped on Pete's fellow, and Carl`s duo.

And don't forget my ice hockey great

And don't forget my ice hockey great

Apologies, missed him. I`ll slide in with Frank McGee as my first guess?

some hints reagarding my closely related duo

Notwithstanding the uniform they were serving in Albert's army but they could just as easily served in another army

Carl

Well sorry about that chaps but it isn't Blunden. I'm surprised you haven't got this one Pete as this is such an iconic post-Great War cricket picture. I'm presuming Mr Broomfield is not reading the thread at the moment as I'm sure he would spot him.

David

I'm afraid Mr Broomfield gave up on this thread many moons ago.

Apologies, missed him. I`ll slide in with Frank McGee as my first guess?

Afraid not NF. Clue: he is the second in my attempt to establish a sub-theme and the first was Lionel TENNYSON

David

I'm afraid Mr Broomfield gave up on this thread many moons ago.

Apologies. Referenced you as it was a Hampshire cricketer: so you were in part a clue!

David

Afraid not NF. Clue: he is the second in my attempt to establish a sub-theme and the first was Lionel TENNYSON

David

David Cuthbert Thomas?

Notwithstanding the uniform they were serving in Albert's army but they could just as easily served in another army

Carl

Another wild guess: Are they by any chance Francis and Riversdale Grenfell?

On David's literary theme, the ice hockey player is Duke Keats (shown in his Edmonton Eskimos kit)

In that case (and I understand your father's reverence with his Lancastrian links) it must be the saturnine Ted McDonald. Very much on the Spofforth, Lindwall, Lillee, Johnson uncompromising side of Aussie fast bowlers. Curious how often such men are paired with sunnier characters like Gregory, Miller and Thomson for instance (I know Thomson talked of liking to see blood on the pitch but he was too much the good time larrikin to be even a pantomime villain)

David

Correct David. Edgar Arthur "Ted" McDonald; born in Tasmania but forever a son of Lancashire. He and Jack Gregory are regarded as the first pair of demon fast bowlers and swept England aside in 1921. He dismissed Andy Ducat at Headingley that year by breaking his bat; a fragment hit the stumps while the ball looped up to slip, he was given out caught. He stayed in England to play in the Lancashire Leagues and qualified for Lancashire in 1924. He took 1053 wickets in six seasons as Lancashire won four County Championships. He was killed in 1937 in a traffic accident near Bolton. He was revered in these parts, not least by Neville Cardus.

Pete.

I think this may be one for David`s sub theme, if Steve is correct.

Who is this, apparently trying his best to avoid front line duties???

post-95959-0-58031600-1422795341_thumb.j

On David's literary theme, the ice hockey player is Duke Keats (shown in his Edmonton Eskimos kit)

You are right of course Steve. My sub-theme is folk in "the Poets' War" who have poet names but are not poets

David

You are right of course Steve. My sub-theme is folk in "the Poets' War" who have poet names but are not poets

David

Ah....Then my drag artist doesn't qualify for this sub theme. I was thinking "Literate".

He's a writer in any case.

And that's your second clue.

(Drag artist is NOT a clue)

EDIT: No takers, so I`ll give a little more away. His first two books were made into films, but perhaps strangely, his last and most successful book, and the one which bought him the most success, was not, as far as I can tell. "Travel" would be a hint for that one.

Renowned humanist.

EDIT: Just found out that his most successful "travel" book was also made into a film after all.

You could say a route to warmer climes.

Edited by neverforget

Carl

Carl, could your duo have just as easily served in the Kaiser's service as in King Albert's? I am trying to think laterally and it's starting to hurt my head...... :unsure:

Pete.

not the Kaiser but with somebody Imperial and Royal......

Carl

and to make things easy : they had an encounter with the world's most famous fictional archaeologist

not the Kaiser but with somebody Imperial and Royal......Carl

and to make things easy : they had an encounter with the world's most famous fictional archaeologist

I'm going to say Princes Sixtus and Xavier of Bourbon-Palma. They of the murky Sixtus Affair.

Ah....Then my drag artist doesn't qualify for this sub theme. I was thinking "Literate".

He's a writer in any case.

And that's your second clue.

(Drag artist is NOT a clue)

EDIT: No takers, so I`ll give a little more away. His first two books were made into films, but perhaps strangely, his last and most successful book, and the one which bought him the most success, was not, as far as I can tell. "Travel" would be a hint for that one.

Renowned humanist.

Is he E. M. Forster?

Is he E. M. Forster?

He is indeed, uncle. Well played.

Author of Room with a view, Howard`s end, and A passage to India amongst others.

A "conchie" who volunteered for the International Red Cross in WW1.

And now we have someone for David`s most recent sub-theme.

Who is this???post-95959-0-68408300-1422877898_thumb.j

And now we have someone for David`s most recent sub-theme.

Who is this???attachicon.gifdt.jpg

Good grief!! Are ye still footerin' aboot?

Yon's easy peasy - Sir Doddie McCrae.

Dang! I finally knew this one and curse all, got to sleep in today (schools closed due to snow) and missed my chance!

:angry2:

That Ian: He haes aw his back teeth!

Too easy by far, ay. http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/lost-edinburgh-mccrae-s-battalion-1-3183439

Too easy ? ? ?

Not too easy for me, U.G.

Staying in theme, who is this???post-95959-0-26237300-1422903804_thumb.j

Rose to Brig` General.

EDIT: Once put forward a private for promotion for having the guts to threaten to shoot him.

Known for his fearsome temper, and for putting his men first.

Mentioned no less than eight times in despatches, awarded DSO, DCM, and the Croix de guerre.

Edited by neverforget

Not too easy for me, U.G.

"Shortly after [this man's] death, the fulcrum of British influence in Arabia shifted west from the India administration to the Cairo-based Arab Bureau. With this shift, wrote Philby, 'it was left to [T. E.] Lawrence and the army of the Hijaz to accomplish what in other circumstances might have been accomplished by 'Abd al-'Aziz and [this man].' " - Peter Harrigan's 'The Captain and the King'