The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Not too easy for me, U.G.

Staying in theme, who is this???attachicon.gifdm.jpg

Rose to Brig` General.

EDIT: Once put forward a private for promotion for having the guts to threaten to shoot him.

Known for his fearsome temper, and for putting his men first.

Mentioned no less than eight times in despatches, awarded DSO, DCM, and the Croix de guerre.

Is this Pompey Elliott?

Is this Pompey Elliott?

That was to be my next clue, but no longer needed. A truly exceptional fellow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Edward_Elliott

Well found again uncle. Been working hard on your chap, but still not there yet..

Still in theme, this one I expect to be solved in a flash.

post-95959-0-33465200-1422913724_thumb.jpost-95959-0-19701900-1422913571_thumb.j

U.G.Is your man F. Georges-Picot, by any chance?

Still in theme, this one I expect to be solved in a flash.

attachicon.gifda.jpgattachicon.gifbw1125.16.jpg

Robert Burns?

Robert Burns?

Spot on, Pete. Robbie Burns. Seen here at 104 years of age. I can hear his voice now, relating how incredulous it was to him that one of his pals was sticking his leg up above the parapet in an attempt to get a "blighty"

Yet another from the dead ringers poets society. Hopefully not so easy this time, but well overdue his immortalisation here on WIT

post-95959-0-57972900-1422923273_thumb.j

Another first to.........

I'm going to say Princes Sixtus and Xavier of Bourbon-Palma. They of the murky Sixtus Affair.

correct Sixtus and Xavier Bourbon-Parma, brothers to Empress Zita of Austria-Hungary and officiers in the 7/13 Belgian Field artillery (a unit frequently

used in support of British units (probably the reason for their rather English appearance). At the centre of the Sixtus Affair (an attempt at peace negociations by Austrian Emperor Karl)

they were^portrayed in the Indiana Jones Tv series

Carl

"Shortly after [this man's] death, the fulcrum of British influence in Arabia shifted west from the India administration to the Cairo-based Arab Bureau. With this shift, wrote Philby, 'it was left to [T. E.] Lawrence and the army of the Hijaz to accomplish what in other circumstances might have been accomplished by 'Abd al-'Aziz and [this man].' " - Peter Harrigan's 'The Captain and the King'

is that Captain William Shakespear ?

Carl

U.G.Is your man F. Georges-Picot, by any chance?

is that Captain William Shakespear ?Carl

Yes Carl: William Shakespear (1878 - 1915). Killed in the Battle of Jarrab.

"His death... was a great loss to his country, but it was a disaster to the Arab cause. It must certainly be reckoned in the small category of individual events which have changed the course of history. Had he survived to continue a work for which he was so eminently suited, it is extremely doubtful whether subsequent campaigns of Lawrence would ever have taken place in the west..."

'Arabia', H. St. John Philby, (1930)

correct Sixtus and Xavier Bourbon-Parma, brothers to Empress Zita of Austria-Hungary and officiers in the 7/13 Belgian Field artillery (a unit frequently

used in support of British units (probably the reason for their rather English appearance). At the centre of the Sixtus Affair (an attempt at peace negociations by Austrian Emperor Karl)

they were^portrayed in the Indiana Jones Tv series

Carl

Great post Carl, I doubt if I would ever have come across them otherwise. A fascinating story. I saw a few of the WW1 based episodes of the Young Indiana Jones TV series; I seem to remember Graves and Sassoon turning up in one. If we could get some stills we could use them as a Wit? sub-theme.....

Pete.

Spot on, Pete. Robbie Burns. Seen here at 104 years of age. I can hear his voice now, relating how incredulous it was to him that one of his pals was sticking his leg up above the parapet in an attempt to get a "blighty"

I remember that interview too. All of the veterans were impressive (Smiler Marshall being a particular favourite), but there was something about Robbie that gave me the impression that he'd still be handy to be around in a trench even in his 90's.

Pete.

I remember that interview too. All of the veterans were impressive (Smiler Marshall being a particular favourite), but there was something about Robbie that gave me the impression that he'd still be handy to be around in a trench even in his 90's.

Pete.

Smiler Marshall was a terrific character. As I remember; he referred to an particularly unpleasant officer being not so accidentally killed by friendly fire. Then there was that northern chap (who`s name escapes me for the moment) who decked his n.c.o. for calling him a b@st@rd.

Anyway, bless `em all. Fantastic men.

Back to my chap: his "first" was connected to the Battle of Hamel, and as it turned out, he also became the last...

His decorations include the Croix de Guerre, and King George pinned on his D.C.M.

Took on a machine gun post single-handedly, bayoneting the crew, and the turning the gun on the rest of the enemy, until reinforcements arrived.

That`s another mass of clues for you. I`m being far too generous of late.

Smiler Marshall was a terrific character. As I remember; he referred to an particularly unpleasant officer being not so accidentally killed by friendly fire. Then there was that northern chap (who`s name escapes me for the moment) who decked his n.c.o. for calling him a b@st@rd.

Anyway, bless `em all. Fantastic men.

Back to my chap: his "first" was connected to the Battle of Hamel, and as it turned out, he also became the last...

His decorations include the Croix de Guerre, and King George pinned on his D.C.M.

Took on a machine gun post single-handedly, bayoneting the crew, and the turning the gun on the rest of the enemy, until reinforcements arrived.

That`s another mass of clues for you. I`m being far too generous of late.

Is he Thomas Pope?

Is he Thomas Pope?

Right again U.G. I thought the "mass" of clues might give him away.

The first to be awarded the Medal of Honor, and the last surving ww1 soldier to hold it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_A._Pope

Have we had this chap ? ? ?

Indeed we have, and I`m sure it was I who posted him, as a Robin Williams lookalike. Theodore Hardy

Another "namesake poet".

Who is this???post-95959-0-13008600-1422971517_thumb.j

R.F.A.

K.I.A. Battle of Festubert,1915.

Another "namesake poet".

Name forsaken might be more appropriate in this case.

Name forsaken might be more appropriate in this case.

Is this Captain Hugh Sale Smart? Killed at Festubert. If this is correct, you will know the 'poet' connection.

Not him, but I`ll offer a little more seeing as you`ve had a stab.

His mother renounced the father`s name after he was imprisoned.

I`ve found the poet connection, (I think) that you arrived at, but I have to confess that I was unaware of the tale before you posted. http://ww1geek.com/2012/10/15/thomas-hardy-of-festubert/

Great bit of research on your part. Deserved to be the correct answer, which will no doubt follow shortly, as I think my last snippet of info will be enough for you to unveil him.

Not him, but I`ll offer a little more seeing as you`ve had a stab.

His mother renounced the father`s name after he was imprisoned.

I`ve found the poet connection, (I think) that you arrived at, but I have to confess that I was unaware of the tale before you posted. http://ww1geek.com/2012/10/15/thomas-hardy-of-festubert/

Great bit of research on your part. Deserved to be the correct answer, which will no doubt follow shortly, as I think my last snippet of info will be enough for you to unveil him.

Yes that's a remarkable story. Like you I had not come across it before today.

"Serving on the Indian frontier when war broke out, he made three applications to rejoin his old regiment, but on each occasion was turned down. In December 1914 he was granted leave but when it expired, failed to rejoin his regiment. This subsequently led to his dismissal. It appears that, desperate to see action, Hugh had instead travelled back to England. There he enlisted as a Private in the 2nd Battalion The Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, under the alias Thomas Hardy. Here his story may have ended, but for his death at Festubert in May 1915."

He is Oscar Wilde's son Cyril Holland.

Absolutely correct sir. Well sussed. Shot by a sniper.

Still on the 'poets' sub-theme. A poet yes, but more widely known as a novelist. This man came to a bleak, lousy end in 1916.

post-108430-0-62137100-1422997544_thumb.