The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Can I redeem my last chap, who lasted about five seconds, with this fella?

attachicon.gif1918.jpg

Is it Douglas MacArthur, Daniel?

Still on the 'poets' sub-theme. A poet yes, but more widely known as a novelist. This man came to a bleak, lousy end in 1916.

Can`t find any pictures, but could it be Cedric Charles Dickens, died in World War I. Descendant of the Bleak Louse author?

Another poet, and another "first to...."

post-95959-0-56202600-1422999326_thumb.j

Is it Douglas MacArthur, Daniel?

It is not, but a good guess!

My fella is an American, and did not survive the war. He's a notable first in his losing his life in the line of fire, but also for the context in which it happened, which one of the most famed events to befall the American army in that conflict.

(How's THAT for helpful hints! :D)

-Daniel

Daniel, you are getting way too generous with the clues. My first thought was that the famed action would be the Lost Battalion in the Argonne so I read up and came upon the baseball player Eddie Grant who was killed in one of the attempts to reach Whittlesey's men on Hill 198. One of these days I'm going to visit the site in the autumn or winter when you can see further than 10 feet through the undergrowth and the mosquitos have gone.

Pete.

It is not, but a good guess!

My fella is an American, and did not survive the war. He's a notable first in his losing his life in the line of fire, but also for the context in which it happened, which one of the most famed events to befall the American army in that conflict.

(How's THAT for helpful hints! :D)

-Daniel

My next guess would be Major Charles White Whittlesey, Daniel.

EDIT: We must have been posting at the same time, Pete. I see that we both went down the same lost battalion road, but there is a doubt about Whittlesey`s death, so I wasn`t confident. I didn`t find the reference to Eddie Grant, but hats off, I`m sure you`re correct.

My next guess would be Major Charles White Whittlesey, Daniel.

EDIT: We must have been posting at the same time, Pete. I see that we both went down the same lost battalion road, but there is a doubt about Whittlesey`s death, so I wasn`t confident. I didn`t find the reference to Eddie Grant, but hats off, I`m sure you`re correct.

I almost missed it I have to admit. I've been to the location but I still found reading up on it very interesting. You think you know what happened because it is famous but you actually don't.

Pete.

You think you know what happened because it is famous but you actually don't.

Pete.

I think we could pretty much say that about the war as a whole, Pete, no matter how much we learn.

My man was an Irishman. My poet was not, but he was British. An American songwriter might lead you to him.

EDIT:

"You fasten all the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud."
Edited by neverforget

Daniel, you are getting way too generous with the clues. My first thought was that the famed action would be the Lost Battalion in the Argonne so I read up and came upon the baseball player Eddie Grant who was killed in one of the attempts to reach Whittlesey's men on Hill 198. One of these days I'm going to visit the site in the autumn or winter when you can see further than 10 feet through the undergrowth and the mosquitos have gone.

Pete.

Pete, you have him. Well done!

Can`t find any pictures, but could it be Cedric Charles Dickens, died in World War I. Descendant of the Bleak Louse author?

Yes, well done. He died in Lousy Wood.

... Living on the Frontline.

Good call uncle. I wonder if the team would like to give consideration to this gentleman? I think this is as fiendishly difficult as a very fiendishly difficult thing. I'll take either of his names.

Pete.

post-101238-0-72193400-1423090572_thumb.

I think we could pretty much say that about the war as a whole, Pete, no matter how much we learn.

My man was an Irishman. My poet was not, but he was British. An American songwriter might lead you to him.

EDIT:

"You fasten all the triggers

For the others to fire

Then you set back and watch

When the death count gets higher

You hide in your mansion

As young people's blood

Flows out of their bodies

And is buried in the mud."

Lyrics by Bob Dylan. Who took his name from Dylan Thomas. War poet Edward Thomas. Edward Thomas of the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards fired the first shot of the British Army in the GW.

11 out of 10, Uncle George. Dylan Thomas was the poet I had in mind.

Edward-"shoot first ask questions later"-Thomas. http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/tipperary-mans-role-in-ww1-revealed-in-radio-documentary

Lyrics by Bob Dylan. Who took his name from Dylan Thomas. War poet Edward Thomas. Edward Thomas of the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards fired the first shot of the British Army in the GW.

Very impressive work UG. With regard to my man, this is a photo of him which I presume is quite some time after the Great War in which he rose to be a lieutenant. His attire may be a clue to his nationality and he is known by two different names; I'll take either.

Pete.

Pete. I`ve been looking at blind Americans?

Couldn`t find one in the singular, as is my poet, but found this one in the plural.post-95959-0-47119100-1423135681_thumb.j

An ace, and a captain.

Great post Carl, I doubt if I would ever have come across them otherwise. A fascinating story. I saw a few of the WW1 based episodes of the Young Indiana Jones TV series; I seem to remember Graves and Sassoon turning up in one. If we could get some stills we could use them as a Wit? sub-theme.....

Pete.

The Bourbon Parma's are an interesting family. The oldest brother Elias fought in the Austro Hungarian army. Xavier was in the resistance during World War II and survived the concentration camps of Struthoff and Dachau

Carl

An ace, not a poet's namesake or in any other sub-theme, but his grandson gave a lengthy interview on the radio here yesterday evening, mainly about his grandfather and the family history from WW1 up to today, which I found fascinating and moving.

Clue 1: The photo was taken in Britain during WW2 although Britain was neither his country of birth nor the country he fought for

Clue 2: He won just about every available medal his country had to offer, except the very highest, for which he could never under any circumstances have become eligible.

Cheers

Colin

post-116807-0-23627300-1423150807_thumb.

Pete. I`ve been looking at blind Americans?

American yes, and he may have had sight problems later in life judging by the glasses but this wasn't a result of his war service. I came upon him by chance following links while looking for Daniel's last man. There is a negative connection with the famous site via a more famous family member. There, I'm giving it away........

Pete.

Jim Capone

khaki

Home run Khaki my old chum. Vincenzo Capone or Jim Capone or James Hart depending on the period of his life was eldest brother of the notorious Alphonse 'Al' Capone. He worked on the other side of the law and found his little brother a bit of a drawback from a career perspective. His brother is reputed to have claimed that the scar that led to his nickname was as a result of being wounded fighting with the Lost Battalion in the Argonne. The scars were actually inflicted in a Coney Island bar fight in 1917 by another gangster called Frank Galuccio after Capone, who was working as a bouncer at the club insulted Galuccio's sister.

Pete.

Good find Pete. (And khaki)

Yep, looks like you have him! Poor fella!

-Daniel

It appears that he overcame the drawback of his kid brother to make a reasonable career in the law enforcement community. I didn't know how difficult it would be for you guys; not very given Khaki's alacrity it would appear. I am aware that David and I have been posting English cricketers which may leave you guys out in the cold a bit, so following on from your baseball player it seemed only fair to try Capone.

Good find Pete. (And khaki)

I had a stack of Danielesque clues ready but didn't have a chance to deploy them. I knew the story about Al Capone's claim to have been with the Lost Battalion but I didn't know the truth about his scars until I started reading up a bit.

Pete.