The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 minute ago, McNicoll said:

😂blood relation, but never met him. not related at all to his brother-in-law.

Any chance of a connection via Major General Ronald McNicoll (1906-1996)?

Just now, tankengine888 said:

Any chance of a connection via Major General Ronald McNicoll (1906-1996)?

Less direct Ronald was my great uncle.

• 1 month later...

I was going to wait until May before I posted this chap. But by then, I thought, the darkness might have finally deepened on this old thread of ours. But who is he ? ? ?

IMG_0072.jpeg

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

I was going to wait until May before I posted this chap. But by then, I thought, the darkness might have finally deepened on this old thread of ours. But who is he ? ? ?

IMG_0072.jpeg

I think I get the gist of where you're coming from, but haven't a clue as to who he is. 

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

I think I get the gist of where you're coming from, but haven't a clue as to who he is. 

He was often to be seen wearing a white suit. 

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

This chap would appear to be right up your alley - he served with Ox/Bucks, and was awarded the DCM and Bar.

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

This chap would appear to be right up your alley - he served with Ox/Bucks, and was awarded the DCM and Bar.

Now that's what I call a clue to get one's teeth into :thumbsup:

Lieut.-Colonel A. J. N. Bartlett?

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Lieut.-Colonel A. J. N. Bartlett?

No, not him. Here’s another photo of my man. (He’s the chap in the white suit to our left, by the way; not the cove in the middle with the homburg and watch chain.)

IMG_0072.jpeg

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Indeed. I remember the community singing at the Cup Final. Tommy Steele did it one year, Bruce Forsyth another. But then it stopped. The Cup Final has lost its lustre since those old days - our venerable old trophies are now but qualifying rounds for European competitions.

I blame the government.

Images from here: https://stories-of-london.org/the-wanamaker-organ-part-eight/

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

The Cup Final has lost its lustre since those old days - our venerable old trophies are now but qualifying rounds for European competitions.

I blame the government.

Images from here: https://stories-of-london.org/the-wanamaker-organ-part-eight/

It most certainly has. 

Great WIT UG, and a tough one to solve.

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

It most certainly has. 

Great WIT UG, and a tough one to solve.

My cunning plan was to post Ken Bailey next. Remember him? “England’s Mascot”. I have his autograph somewhere. But, dammit, I saw that he wasn’t born until 1911. 

Here's a couple of firsts for you to mull over...20240902_115615.jpg.5cec17e286f8a1209fcf1485a3fe7e9e.jpg20240902_115521.jpg.463cde499855757bd41472299e77e78f.jpg

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Here's a couple of firsts for you to mull over...20240902_115615.jpg.5cec17e286f8a1209fcf1485a3fe7e9e.jpg20240902_115521.jpg.463cde499855757bd41472299e77e78f.jpg

That chap with the pipe looks like he’s wearing a corset! By the headwear I’m guessing the first photo is of Austrian soldiers?

19 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

My cunning plan was to post Ken Bailey next. Remember him? “England’s Mascot”. I have his autograph somewhere. But, dammit, I saw that he wasn’t born until 1911. 

Yes I do remember him; great old character

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

That chap with the pipe looks like he’s wearing a corset! By the headwear I’m guessing the first photo is of Austrian soldiers?

No, they're both on the same side; our side. 

Pretty sure the pipe smoker is the pilot Victor Chapman, who flew with the Escadrille Lafayette (or Americaine) and  allegedly the first American pilot to be shot down in combat. He had joined the French Foreign Legion at the outbreak of war before transferring from the trenches to the Aeronautique Militaire a year later in 1915, where he gained his pilots wings. 
There is a picture (somewhere) of him with a bandage head from a previous sortie, which was taken a week or so before being killed in action above Verdun

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Chapman

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Pretty sure the pipe smoker is the pilot Victor Chapman, who flew with the Escadrille Lafayette (or Americaine) and  allegedly the first American pilot to be shot down in combat. He had joined the French Foreign Legion at the outbreak of war before transferring from the trenches to the Aeronautique Militaire a year later in 1915, where he gained his pilots wings. 
There is a picture (somewhere) of him with a bandage head from a previous sortie, which was taken a week or so before being killed in action above Verdun

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Chapman

is dotted and ts crossed. Perfect answer squire. :thumbsup:

And for the other one?....

44 minutes ago, neverforget said:

And for the other one

Struggling a bit, another American via the Foreign Legion?  possible friend of Chapman?

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Struggling a bit, another American via the Foreign Legion?  possible friend of Chapman?

You're definitely on the right track

You're definitely on the right track

Is he Jimmie Bach? Also known as Jules Bach? An interesting chap - the first member of the Lafayette Flying Corps, and also the first American, taken prisoner in the Great War.

Edited by Uncle George

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Jimmie Bach? Also known as Jules Bach? An interesting chap - the first member of the Lafayette Flying Corps, and also the first American, taken prisoner in the Great War.

No, but you're very very close.

No, but you're very very close.

Is he Edward Mandell Stone?

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Edward Mandell Stone?

You're getting colder. Give awsy clue then: He was one of seven involved in a joint enterprise, as was the chap that Knotty solved.