The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

This is the chap? Never been identified? Blimey. Isn't there some photo-recognition jiggerypokery or other? A few clues - the uniform...Is that a scar? Is that a pince-nez, or a monocle? This is not beyond us surely.

It seems that the Stand Up collar was a feature of the uniform of the Canadian army:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-Canadian-Army-1913-seven-button-stand-collar-SD-Tunic-XL-/400732319926

I knew you would have got him if your dedication to the little angels in your charge hadn't distracted you. I forgot to check the spreadsheet which is unusual, but I think a bit of re-cycling does no harm every now and then. On the subject of the mystery man that started our little quest is it worth us temporarily suspending our self denying ordinance about photo recognition software to try and track him down as Uncle has suggested? What does the team think?

Pete.

Yes let's do that. Who knows how?

This is the chap? Never been identified? Blimey. Isn't there some photo-recognition jiggerypokery or other? A few clues - the uniform...Is that a scar? Is that a pince-nez, or a monocle? This is not beyond us surely.

Did the original poster say where the photo came from and in what context?

It's definitely a pince-nez (as opposed to a monocle) and at first I thought it was a thin chain as there seems to be a very faint continuation to the top of his ear, but I am now totally unsure. He also seems to have an ear stud ?????

Is it perhaps a cavalry uniform?

Cheers

Colin

It's definitely a pince-nez (as opposed to a monocle) and at first I thought it was a thin chain as there seems to be a very faint continuation to the top of his ear, but I am now totally unsure. He also seems to have an ear stud ?????

Cheers

Colin

All the poster had to say is here (posts 1,15 and 21):

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204406&hl=

I'm minded to ask the experts on the Uniforms sub-forum.

Cheers

Colin

Yes I've magnified the photo and you're right - a pince-nez, and, I think, not a scar but a chain. I've posted on 'Uniforms', but there seems to be little to go on.

Yes I've magnified the photo and you're right - a pince-nez, and, I think, not a scar but a chain. I've posted on 'Uniforms', but there seems to be little to go on.

It's a chain and ear hook. I have an example on a pair in my collection.

http://www.warbaby.com/fedorapix/pince-nez1.jpg

It has been put through the photo recognition thing, I seem to recall, but to no effect. Even Martin G couldn't break this one and I really do think it will remain untouchable

David

It has been put through the photo recognition thing, I seem to recall, but to no effect. Even Martin G couldn't break this one and I really do think it will remain untouchable

David

Which as ever shows how much I know. A quick look on Uncle George's thread shows that he already has a regiment and the photographer identified. Extraordinary!

David

Time for another clue then? I won't be nearly as giving as my last ones were... :)

This fellow died during the war, and in his final act, saved three lives...not all of them human...

-Daniel

Not the foggiest who this is Daniel. Can't think of any animals that a man would try and save, except perhaps his horse?

P.S. Has anyone thought of asking Centurion about his post, or did he post the chap in the first place because he didn't know him?

Not the foggiest who this is Daniel. Can't think of any animals that a man would try and save, except perhaps his horse?

Or a pigeon to get a message off?

Has anyone thought of asking Centurion about his post, or did he post the chap in the first place because he didn't know him?

All Centurion knew he revealed in post #15:

"All I know is that it appears to have Derby on the Front and someone has written Derby in pencil on the back. It's an English post card and I picked it up in a local antique shop along with some French and Belgian post cards (but there is nothing to associate them with one another) It doesn't have the usual square to show the dim witted where to stick the stamp but a triangle instead."

Well I did the first time round. He was WIT number 306 posted by Steven Broomfield and solved by me.

Have a go at this non-poet poet:

attachicon.gifdri 289.jpg

David

This is John Moses Browning. He of the machine gun.

This is John Moses Browning. He of the machine gun.

Dead right of course UG

David

Which as ever shows how much I know. A quick look on Uncle George's thread shows that he already has a regiment and the photographer identified. Extraordinary!

David

Speculation now focusing on 1/5th Battalion Sherwood Foresters.

I remember posting Banting very recently, and though our mysterious Derby man bears an uncanny likeness, I feel sure it`s not him.

I also thought Daniel`s fellow`s non-human might be a pigeon. We await further "enlightenment"

In the meantime, another one for David`s sub-theme.

Who is this??? War poet. post-95959-0-57556100-1423326614_thumb.j

K.I.A. Guedecourt,

A new day, another clue:

He was a recipient of the Croix de Guerre, and died during the war while still serving the country of his birth...in America.

A new day, another clue:

He was a recipient of the Croix de Guerre, and died during the war while still serving the country of his birth...in America.

Is he James Fitz Morris?

I remember posting Banting very recently, and though our mysterious Derby man bears an uncanny likeness, I feel sure it`s not him.

I also thought Daniel`s fellow`s non-human might be a pigeon. We await further "enlightenment"

In the meantime, another one for David`s sub-theme.

Who is this??? War poet. attachicon.gifrh.jpg

K.I.A. Guedecourt,

This is Sgt David Jones VC of the 13th King's Liverpool. Won his VC at Guillemont on the Somme in early September 1916 and was killed at the beginning of October. He is buried in Bancourt British Cemetery.

Pete.

I thought you might recognise a local lad, Pete. Well spotted, and thanks for putting meat on the bones, as I am stuck here at work with only my phone, and unable to post links etc.

Great guess, but not my fellow.:)

Wild guessing again, Daniel. Is it Dana Coates?

Wild guessing again, Daniel. Is it Dana Coates?

It is not Dana Coates.

My fellow was, shall we say, quite famous before the war and (I'll probably regret giving away this next part) was half of a well known duo.

It is not Dana Coates.

My fellow was, shall we say, quite famous before the war and (I'll probably regret giving away this next part) was half of a well known duo.

You probably will, Daniel.

Your generous prompt caused me to check my book on RFC pilot entertainers born in America.

Page one mentions one Vernon Castle. I see no horses or pigeons, but lo and behold there is a monkey.

Can't post a link, as I`m still hard at work, but maybe you could, as it is a tale well worth bringing to the other Witters.

(Well pleased with my detective work on this one.)

Good gravy, I tipped my hand, didn't I! Well done! Both the monkey and I congratulate you!

From the relevant wiki:

World War I: Vernon's death

In 1915, Vernon determined to fight in the war and began flight school in the U.S., leaving the touring cast of Watch Your Step. He received his pilot's certificate in early 1916. The Castles gave two farewell performances at the Hippodrome in New York in January 1916, accompanied by John Philip Sousa and his band.[8] Vernon sailed for England to enlist as a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps during World War I.[9] Flying over the Western Front, he completed 300 combat missions,[10] shot down two aircraft and was awarded the Croix de Guerre in 1917. He was posted to Canada to train new pilots, promoted to captain, and then transferred to the U.S. to train American pilots.

Late in 1917, while he was away, Irene appeared in a star-studded revue, Miss 1917. Although she was singled out for praise by reviewers, she was unhappy performing on stage alone: "I found myself hopelessly lost as a solo number. I had no training for dancing alone and I should never have tried it."[11] Though successful with critics, the revue failed to attract an audience; at least not enough of one to pay for the lavish production.[11][12] Castle's specialty song was challenged on copyright grounds, and management cut it. In addition, her act in the show was scheduled for late in the evening, which conflicted with her early morning film work. As the show failed, she and others were let go by the producers. She later sued successfully, but by then the production company was bankrupt.[13] For the rest of 1917, she made well-received appearances on behalf of war charities.[13]

On 15 February 1918, over Benbrook Field, a training field near Fort Worth, Texas, Vernon took emergency action shortly after takeoff to avoid a collision with another aircraft. His plane stalled, and he was unable to recover control before the plane hit the ground. He died soon after the crash, on 15 February 1918 (aged 30).[14] Vernon was the only casualty. According to the monument at the crash site, "Neither the other pilot, his student cadet, nor Vernon's pet monkey, Jeffrey, were seriously injured."[10] Irene paid tribute to Vernon in her memoir My Husband, 1919. There is a street in Benbrook, Texas, named in his honor, with a monument dedicated to him. Vernon was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx, New York. The grieving bronze memorial figure kneeling on his grave, for which Irene posed, was created by Irene's friend, the American sculptor Sally James Farnham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_and_Irene_Castle

-Daniel