The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

OK, got him: Fritz Wiedemann

Was AH's regimental commander in the GW and later his personal adjutant.

He did the dirty on Hitler during his time in the diplomatic service in the USA, but subsequently returned to the fold. Was also involved in the Nuremberg trials, giving evidence after charges against him had been dropped.

OK, got him: Fritz Wiedemann

Was AH's regimental commander in the GW and later his personal adjutant.

He did the dirty on Hitler during his time in the diplomatic service in the USA, but subsequently returned to the fold. Was also involved in the Nuremberg trials, giving evidence after charges against him had been dropped.

Yes! Well done.

During the GW Wiedemann was the adjutant of the List regiment, in which Hitler served as a Private. (His rank 'gefreiter' is often incorrectly translated as 'corporal'. See here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211459&hl= )

As you say, Wiedemann later became AH's personal adjutant.

Much obliged to you Pete for posting the link for me. :thumbsup:

I`ll leave you with this chap, ex-Army officer, who is another "first to......"attachicon.gifni.jpg

Clues when I get up this afternoon, if he hasn`t gone by then.

I'm struggling with this young man. Meanwhile, who is this young man, in the third row nearest the camera ? ? ? He's being inspected by Sir William Robertson.

post-108430-0-77322600-1423475190_thumb.

Yes! Well done.

During the GW Wiedemann was the adjutant of the List regiment, in which Hitler served as a Private. (His rank 'gefreiter' is often incorrectly translated as 'corporal'. See here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211459&hl= )

As you say, Wiedemann later became AH's personal adjutant.

More appropraitely "Gefreiter" should perhaps be translated as "senior private" - an enlisted man was just "Soldat", "Infanterist" or some other designation according to what type of regiment he was serving in and I think the confusion with Lance Corporal comes about becaus a "Gefreiter" was considered to be the corporal's deputy in the section - although he was not empowered to give orders on his own initiative.

OR grades are very confusing with NCO "with" or "without" lanyard (Portepee) and there were slight differences between the Prussian and other armies of the Empire - it's a science in itself!

On your previous question about Jewish officers, the Bavarian army was a bit of an exception as it had a greater proportion of Jewish Reserve Officers (with the stress on "reserve") although this proportion was still a great deal lower than in the general population. It also had a much higher proportion of non-noble (but not Jewish) officers in the standing army than the Prussians.

It's all highly convoluted!

Cheers

Colin

I'm struggling with this young man. Meanwhile, who is this young man, in the third row nearest the camera ? ? ? He's being inspected by Sir William Robertson.

Facially it could almost be Albert of York, but not in that uniform.....

Facially it could almost be Albert of York, but not in that uniform.....

Yes it does look like Bertie. Very much so.

'Private First Class', as they have in the US army, would seem to me to be an accurate translation of 'gefreiter'. The German historian Thomas Weber consistently refers to AH as 'Private Hitler' in 'Hitler's First War'.

There's a well-known Nazi propaganda poster of Frederick the Great, Bismark, Hindenburg and Hitler captioned: 'What the king conquered, the prince formed, and the field marshal defended, was rescued and united by the soldier [der Soldat]'.

Thanks for the info about the Bavarian army.

I`m in a similar state regarding your chap, uncle, unless Colin has him I`m afraid I haven`t a clue. Are we looking at the fellow nearest the camera overall, or is it the chap in the third row from the front? (Thin face)

I only discovered my ex-officer last night, whilst reading my latest book at work. Up till then I hadn`t heard of his rather dubious distinction.

Descended from a founding "lunartick". Ascent will help with this origin.

Killed in August 1914. He is buried in an unmarked grave in Germany.

I`m in a similar state regarding your chap, uncle, unless Colin has him I`m afraid I haven`t a clue. Are we looking at the fellow nearest the camera overall, or is it the chap in the third row from the front? (Thin face)

Yes, this private.

post-108430-0-89851600-1423491907_thumb.

These clues are leading towards moon, Armstrong, the Wiltshire Regiment..

am I close?

Yes, this private.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Still haven`t a clue, but I`m guessing somehow that he`s a very well known character, as the image is quite blurred?

These clues are leading towards moon, Armstrong, the Wiltshire Regiment..

am I close?

I`m afraid not, and I don`t want to mislead you because, uncharacteristically for me of late, this is not an easy one.

The "lunarticks" were the Lunar Society of Birmingham. "Ascent will help with this Origin" (man missing) is relevant here if you know your authors. And I know you know your authors.

His death prompted an enquiry, as it was considered to be a case of murder by the British government. However, after a court martial, his Prussian killer was controversially acquitted and subsequently promoted. To add insult to injury, his belongings were sold to pay for his hospital treatment.

Killed in August 1914. He is buried in an unmarked grave in Germany.

I've been thinking along the lines of the 18th century Lunar Society in Brum, whose members called themselves "lunarticks", the founders (or at least regular members) including Erasmus Darwin, Ben Franklin et al - but I can find no connection/descendent. And I can't see an Armstrong either.

Also, an unmarked grave in Germany suggests an execution - was he a spy?

Cheers

Colin

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Still haven`t a clue, but I`m guessing somehow that he`s a very well known character, as the image is quite blurred

Very well known indeed. A private in this photograph, but I mentioned that in order to mislead. As Colin said, could be Bertie if it were not for that uniform.

I've been thinking along the lines of the 18th century Lunar Society in Brum, whose members called themselves "lunarticks", the founders (or at least regular members) including Erasmus Darwin, Ben Franklin et al - but I can find no connection/descendent. And I can't see an Armstrong either.

Also, an unmarked grave in Germany suggests an execution - was he a spy?

Cheers

Colin

You`re getting there, Colin. Spot on with the lunarticks. Ascent will help with this Origin" (man missing) Ascent of man, Origin of the species leads us to Darwin of course, so we have his ancestor.

He was never considered as a spy, but his travelling companion was subsequently arrested and questioned as one, before being released unblemished.

You`re getting there, Colin. Spot on with the lunarticks. Ascent will help with this Origin" (man missing) Ascent of man, Origin of the species leads us to Darwin of course, so we have his ancestor.

He was never considered as a spy, but his travelling companion was subsequently arrested and questioned as one, before being released unblemished.

You have missed my post #2016

Henry Hadley, great grandson of Darwin.

An "on fire" U.G. didn`t need the embellishments.

Henry Hadley it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hadley_%28died_1914%29

First British casualty of WW1.

EDIT: I think I was still posting when your answer came through. Well played, in any case.

Edited by neverforget

Very well known indeed. A private in this photograph, but I mentioned that in order to mislead. As Colin said, could be Bertie if it were not for that uniform.

Then is it Edward? I know he sort of served with the Grenadiers and won a M.M. or something similar for his troubles.

Reverting momentarily back to David`s sub theme, here`s another that I couldn`t find in the plural, as he should be.

Another unusual death.post-95959-0-47644300-1423497248_thumb.j

An "on fire" U.G. didn`t need the embellishments.

Henry Hadley it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hadley_%28died_1914%29

First British casualty of WW1.

EDIT: I think I was still posting when your answer came through. Well played, in any case.

Thanks for that link. I remembered the story when I saw it, but it hadn't registered that he was a g-grandson of Erasmus Darwin

Yes indeed. He was awarded the MC.

Blast! - I must have switched my head off there (in order to get some work done :whistle: )

• Admin

Reverting momentarily back to David`s sub theme, here`s another that I couldn`t find in the plural, as he should be.

Another unusual death.attachicon.gifju.jpg

Major CAL Yate?

Right first time, Michelle. Charles Allix Lavington Yate. V.C. Well spotted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Allix_Lavington_Yate

His decision to cut his own throat was thought to have been influenced by his recent time spent in Japan, and subsequent exposure to the Samurai tradition .

Who is this???

Helped veterans.post-95959-0-43243600-1423504335_thumb.j

EDIT: Specifically; helped disabled veterans.

Edited by neverforget

Whilst we look for NF's helpful gent, who's this colourful character:

post-48281-0-62347100-1423514472_thumb.j

(image courtesy of Imperial War Museum)