The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Enough badges and stuff there for someone to narrow it down, but with my knowledge of insignia and stuff, I`m hopelessly lost, I`m afraid. :wacko:

As for yours, if I can express an opinion, Sir Arthur Pearson, founder of St Dunstan's

Steve, is your man John Monash? And have we still got Daniel's Englishman in New York in play? I may not have been keeping up.

Pete.

As for yours, if I can express an opinion, Sir Arthur Pearson, founder of St Dunstan's

Spot on,Steve. Well done. http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/books/116184/Father-of-the-Blind-A-Portrait-of-Sir-Arthur-Pearson

Steve, is your man John Monash? And have we still got Daniel's Englishman in New York in play? I may not have been keeping up.

Pete.

Pete, I think Daniel`s man was solved here. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214619&page=80#entry2224042

Thanks NF, the pace was so relentless I'd completely missed it; dammed glad I asked having read the answer. A triumph by our New York correspondent.

Pete,

Hi Pete,

Mine's not Monash. He participated in both world wars, to him the spoils .

Enough badges and stuff there for someone to narrow it down, but with my knowledge of insignia and stuff, I`m hopelessly lost, I`m afraid. :wacko:

Well, the uniform is Belgian, which must narrow it down quite a bit! King Albert's Chief of Staff?

Ron

Yes Ron, he is Belgian. But not the Chief of Staff.

Yes Ron, he is Belgian. But not the Chief of Staff.

Page one of my book on Belgian Generals..Victor Jean Clement van Strydonck.

That's him, Baron van Strydonck de Burkel. He took the title of his Baronetcy from the location of the successful cavalry charge he commanded in October 1918, the last on the Western Front

Bit of a sombre one this, I`m sorry to say.

Who is this poor lad???post-95959-0-53386500-1423523679_thumb.j

Fought at Mons and retreat. Killed September 1914.

Has no known grave, although his name is shown on the British memorial to the missing at La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, Seine-et-Marne.

Bit of a sombre one this, I`m sorry to say.

Who is this poor lad???attachicon.gifpb.jpg

Fought at Mons and retreat. Killed September 1914.

Has no known grave, although his name is shown on the British memorial to the missing at La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, Seine-et-Marne.

Royal West Kent Rgt? I hardly know anything about cap badges, but that does look to me like the rearing Kentish horse...

There are 36 West Kents on La Ferté s/J Memorial, but I'd need more clues....

Royal West Kent Rgt? I hardly know anything about cap badges, but that does look to me like the rearing Kentish horse...

There are 36 West Kents on La Ferté s/J Memorial, but I'd need more clues....

You have very expertly narrowed it down, Colin. West Kents is quite right.

His local council as recently as 2000 refused to include him on their memorial.

You have very expertly narrowed it down, Colin. West Kents is quite right.

His local council as recently as 2000 refused to include him on their memorial.

That made it easier! Thomas Highgate, the first British soldier executed for desertion in the GW.

A very hasty trial, at which he was undefended, and a very hasty execution in public - not a great advertisement for military justice of the time, but I imagine it probably had the desired effect of putting the wind up others. And after all, what other value had a private's life to a senior officer?

That made it easier! Thomas Highgate, the first British soldier executed for desertion in the GW.

A very hasty trial, at which he was undefended, and a very hasty execution in public - not a great advertisement for military justice of the time, but I imagine it probably had the desired effect of putting the wind up others. And after all, what other value had a private's life to a senior officer?

Absolutely correct, Colin. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25841494

I think Winter put it quite well in his "Death`s Men" book, when summing up exactly what a "man" was, as referred to by the army.

"To the N.C.O. "man" was a being tending constantly towards evil. Only constant harassment would keep tunic buttons fastened,and restricted areas restricted.

"Man" to a subaltern was a shadowy creature.

"Man to a Quartermaster was an envelope of skin consuming food, and needing a billet.

"Man" to a staff officer was a chess piece - "Send three men to sap A and tell them to hold it at all costs."

Absolutely correct, Colin. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25841494

I think Winter put it quite well in his "Death`s Men" book, when summing up exactly what a "man" was, as referred to by the army.

"To the N.C.O. "man" was a being tending constantly towards evil. Only constant harassment would keep tunic buttons fastened,and restricted areas restricted.

"Man" to a subaltern was a shadowy creature.

"Man to a Quartermaster was an envelope of skin consuming food, and needing a billet.

"Man" to a staff officer was a chess piece - "Send three men to sap A and tell them to hold it at all costs."

Indeed!

Where, on a scale of values, would a man have stood vs. - say - a horse/mule?

Men were:

• Easier and cheaper to procure
  • Easier and cheaper to train
  • Easier and cheaper to feed and billet
  • Easier to coerce into doing things against their nature
  • Easier and cheaper to replace

and all you could do with their carcasses was bury them.

It may well be that someone will take me to task on this, although I also realise that without a certain disregard for lives nothing could have been achieved. That's why I'd only ever have been cannon-fodder....

Indeed!

Where, on a scale of values, would a man have stood vs. - say - a horse/mule?

Men were:

• Easier and cheaper to procure
  • Easier and cheaper to train
  • Easier and cheaper to feed and billet
  • Easier to coerce into doing things against their nature
  • Easier and cheaper to replace

and all you could do with their carcasses was bury them.

It may well be that someone will take me to task on this, although I also realise that without a certain disregard for lives nothing could have been achieved. That's why I'd only ever have been cannon-fodder....

Same here mate.

That's Rags, the mascot of the US 1st Infantry Division.

The only colour connection I can see id that he is buried in Silver Spring - where his memorial stone also stands.

A great little dog, must have been quite a character

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rags_(dog)

Cheers

Colin

Yes indeed.

"Rags achieved great notoriety and celebrity war dog fame when he saved many lives in the Meuse-Argonne Campaign by delivering a vital message despite being bombed, gassed and partially blinded."

No, I wasn't thinking of silver as the colour.

post-108430-0-15205800-1423591953_thumb.

Have we had this forthright visage before? I wonder how he'd have viewed the current fad for trainers?

Arthur Wellesley, later 5th Duke of Wellington? He of the Right Club.

post-95959-0-15809200-1423592794_thumb.j

Didn`t mean to startle you, but we don`t seem to have included this gentleman yet???

Musician and politician, captured here during one of his lighter moments.

Arthur Wellesley, later 5th Duke of Wellington? He of the Right Club.

No, not he.

He'd encourage you to be as offensive as you should be, in the very best way...

Oh, he was also an Arthur

attachicon.gifcp.jpg

Didn`t mean to startle you, but we don`t seem to have included this gentleman yet???

Musician and politician, captured here during one of his lighter moments.

Is he Paderewski?