The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Is he Paderewski?

I think you're right, UG - but with a face and hair like that he'd have fit in perfectly with the Munich Soviet Republic...... :huh:

I thought someone might quickly recognise that distinctive look. Paderewski it is. Played a considerable part in the peace process, then went back to his piano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignacy_Jan_Paderewski

So that just leaves your chap, I think, Colin, who I must say is giving me the run around. :wacko:

So that just leaves your chap, I think, Colin, who I must say is giving me the run around. :wacko:

Despite my heavy clue, how Rags fits into the colour sub-theme remains unresolved.

I thought someone might quickly recognise that distinctive look. Paderewski it is. Played a considerable part in the peace process, then went back to his piano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignacy_Jan_Paderewski

Haha! :rolleyes:

My man had a near namesake whose active time was 19th C and who became Commandant of the Royal Military College, Sandhurst

Despite my heavy clue, how Rags fits into the colour sub-theme remains unresolved.

which, I am sorry to say, still has me baffled

Who is this???

Another with a dubious distinction.post-95959-0-92031900-1423609389_thumb.j

Have we had this forthright visage before? I wonder how he'd have viewed the current fad for trainers?

Sir Ivor Maxse? Or am I putting the wrong interpretation on "trainers"?

Ron

Sir Ivor Maxse? Or am I putting the wrong interpretation on "trainers"?

Ron

That is exactly the right interpretation of "trainers" - but not Maxse - his predecessor....

..... in late 1916 he was appointed acting Commander of Third Army School and went, along with a party of British officers, to investigate French methods at their Fourth Army training school at Chalons in November 1916. On his return he worked with the French approach to develop SS143, 'Instructions for the Training of Platoons for Offensive Action', the most important tactical manual for the BEF of the whole war. On 30 January 1917 Haig appointed [this man] to command the new Training Directorate at GHQ. In addition to codifying the BEF's tactical doctrine, [this man] unified the training which had been carried out by the separate army schools, abolished the divisional training schools and put the newly emerging Corps schools on a sound footing.

According to Geddes (and Palmer) when [this man] moved to command 42nd Division in October 1917 his "contribution to training was consigned to a dusty corner; his name was forgotten and he was lost in the shadow of Ivor Maxse. The contrary should be the case: he should be remembered as the man who preceded Maxse in authorising SS143, unifying the BEF's schools system and promulgating good practice with the excellent training manuals he was responsible for.

Cheers

Colin

Ah, so it's Major-General A Solly-Flood. He would have been my alternative choice but, as you point out, he was lost in the shadow of Maxse. I know that Peter Simkins has a high opinion of him.

Ron

Ah, so it's Major-General A Solly-Flood. He would have been my alternative choice but, as you point out, he was lost in the shadow of Maxse. I know that Peter Simkins has a high opinion of him.

Ron

Yes, correct! Well done!

He has in fact been so overshadowed that he doesn't even warrant an article in Wikipedia (in contrast to Sir Frederick, erstwhile Sandhurst Commandant) and is barely mentioned anywhere else, even in the article on "his" 42nd Division - a task there for somebody!

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/the-great-war/great-war-on-land/the-generals/3486-major-general-arthur-solly-flood.html

Cheers

Colin

Who is this??? Lafayette, with this man's help, we'll be there soon...

attachicon.gifNieuport 1917 Fort Monroe VA (3).jpg

I think he looks more like William "Wild Bill" Wellman, the film director, but the only thing I'm pretty certain of is that it's not Eugene Bullard..... :blush:

I'm out now for most of the rest of the day - good hunting one and all!

Who is this???

Another with a dubious distinction.attachicon.giflo.jpg

Give-away clue: Oldest British battle casualty of the First World War.

The oldest casualty is usually taken to be Lt Henry Webber, but I don't think he was a Gunner.

Ron

The oldest casualty is usually taken to be Lt Henry Webber, but I don't think he was a Gunner.

Ron

Up until very recently, that would be the case, Ron. In the news within the last fortnight: "C.W.G.C. plan to amend their records"

Up until very recently, that would be the case, Ron. In the news within the last fortnight: "C.W.G.C. plan to amend their records"

He is Jasper Myers Richardson, killed aged 68.

Can you help us out please.. Cairo Conference 1921. Over on the Gertrude Bell topic Michaeldr is asking who the chap with no left hand is, sitting on the front row, to Churchill's right? I told him you would get him in seconds!

post-100478-0-58661900-1423740843_thumb.

And, there is another one.. The Forty Thieves picture 1921, Cairo. Behind TEL, counting four down to the left, who is the chap in the Turkish fur hat. Not the man in front of him with the fez, we have identified him. Thanks.

post-100478-0-01034700-1423741215_thumb.

Could the one handed officer be General Walter Congreve? Lost a hand I think in 1917 and was GOC Egypt between 1919 and 1923 according to the extensive library reference.which would place him at the scene.

Pete.

Thanks Pete. I do not have the answers to the two above. I will paste your comment onto the Gerty Bell thread, if that is ok with you.

Thanks,

Eddie

Thanks Pete. I do not have the answers to the two above. I will paste your comment onto the Gerty Bell thread, if that is ok with you.

Thanks,

Eddie

Eddie, no problem at all; happy to help. I didn't know it was Congreve's left hand that was amputated so it's extended my knowledge; provided it is him of course. That said I'm not aware of too many other one handed generals, but I'm sure the forum will enlighten us if asked.

Pete.

He is Jasper Myers Richardson, killed aged 68.

That`s the one. Brought to light this month. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/10626554/The-barrister-killed-in-WW1-at-the-age-of-68.html

I`m lost without a clue, cpl Coleman.

As it's suddenly gone quiet I offer this gentleman for your consideration.

Pete.

post-101238-0-56252000-1423778028_thumb.