The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Uncle, do I take it we are to ignore the fact that the group appears to be at HMS Vernon which was the navy's torpedo establishment?

Pete.

No, sorry. A very poorly worded post of mine. HMS Vernon is the clue to which I was trying to steer you: I meant to highlight that who in the group he is, is of less import (as I think he would not be recognised.)

So who might this be ? ? ?

A man of profundity.

It's not Albert Wood, is it? He did research on acoustic detection around the date of your second photo...

Cheers

Colin

It's not Albert Wood, is it? He did research on acoustic detection around the date of your second photo...

Cheers

Colin

No, not Albert Wood. I'm pursuing Pete's sub-theme of weapon development.

My man would appear to have been treated rather shabbily. His invention was such a success that it attracted the attention of the United States, who requested full working drawings in March 1917. It seems that amidst the confusion of the war the usual protocol on rights to intellectual property were cast aside. Despite being developed by my man, his invention was patented in the US by an officer of the US Bureau of Naval Ordnance.

It's not Mr Whitehead, by any chance?

Ron

Then it is presumably Herbert Taylor, who carried out design work on depth charges ("profundity") at HMS Vernon. (Acknowledgements to Wikipedia.)

Ron

Then it is presumably Herbert Taylor, who carried out design work on depth charges ("profundity") at HMS Vernon. (Acknowledgements to Wikipedia.)

Ron

Yes indeed. Here's an article about him, from 2003:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/aug/26/military.johnezard

He was called out of retirement to join the Admiralty design team in 1939 and continued to design and develop weapons throughout the Second war.

Despite being developed by my man, his invention was patented in the US by an officer of the US Bureau of Naval Ordnance.

That seems to be about par for the course in the good ol' US of A right up to the present - something very similar happened to a good friend of mine and apparently no US court will rule against a US company in favour of a non-US plaintiff in an intellectual property case....

Here's a chap whose books I have been thoroughly enjoying recently:

post-66715-0-68968400-1424113331_thumb.j

Researching him for this post I was astonished to find he had a link to our patron saint, TEL.

David

Here's a chap whose books I have been thoroughly enjoying recently:

attachicon.gifdri 291.jpg

Researching him for this post I was astonished to find he had a link to our patron saint, TEL.

David

W E Johns. I don't see the TEL link, however.

Johns initially rejected Lawrence for pilot training, later being ordered to change his mind and accept him.

This fellow had a more celebrated brother who "could see in the dark". This brother was a highly decorated soldier and adventurer pre WW1, and although he didn`t make it to the front in WW1, he did recruit.

As to the chap in question......Spy.post-95959-0-93714400-1424125695_thumb.j

Johns initially rejected Lawrence for pilot training, later being ordered to change his mind and accept him.

I think I read somewhere that at least part of Johns' objection was based on Lawrence joining on under an assumed name, although this maybe apocrypal.

Pete.

P.S. Great to see you are popping around to the conference in March. If there are enough inmates in attendance we may be able to do Wit? Live in the breaks between speakers.

W E Johns also said that it was fiction that Lawrence's identity was unknown to his new colleagues. 'Aircraftsman Ross dines with cabinet members' was apparently a common comment

I think I read somewhere that at least part of Johns' objection was based on Lawrence joining on under an assumed name, although this maybe apocrypal.

Pete.

P.S. Great to see you are popping around to the conference in March. If there are enough inmates in attendance we may be able to do Wit? Live in the breaks between speakers.

That`s what I read too Pete.

Very much looking forward to seeing you at the conference.

Another bit of background on my chap:

Came from a family that has had noted members in every American war.

Disabled, he didn`t let that hamper his work. In fact he used it as a positive asset.

As he lay dying in 1917, he told the doctor attending him to "Go back to the front and save the living. I am already dead."

Another bit of background on my chap:

Came from a family that has had noted members in every American war.

Disabled, he didn`t let that hamper his work. In fact he used it as a positive asset.

As he lay dying in 1917, he told the doctor attending him to "Go back to the front and save the living. I am already dead."

This is Howard Burnham.

This is Howard Burnham.

It is indeed, U.G. Used his wooden leg to conceal the tools of his trade within. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Burnham

And your chap is General King, I believe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_King_%28general%29

And your chap is General King, I believe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_King_(general)

I see that the Wiki page doesn't mention his American Civil War service. But yes, Charles King - the only soldier in American history to serve in five American wars: the Civil War, Indian Wars, Spanish-American War, Philippine-American War and Great War:

http://www.erbzine.com/mag12/1268.html

General King's service commenced in the1860s and incuded five wars. This chap's service lasted until the 1960s and included four wars.

Who is he ? ? ?

post-108430-0-61085000-1424183651_thumb.

General King's service commenced in the1860s and incuded five wars. This chap's service lasted until the 1960s and included four wars.

Who is he ? ? ?

When I saw the photo and before reading your text I immediately thought "Mussolini" - but apart from everything else I'm not sure Mussolini ever smiled.....

But here is another puzzler for one and all - pretty obscure, I'd say, so some good clues:

post-116807-0-75145100-1424184538_thumb.

1) He would possibly not have described himself as "German"

2) He was made a lieutenant at age 10 (ten)

3) He served in the GW on the Western Front (IIIrd Army) and Eastern Fronts (Heeresgruppe Eichhorn)

4) He was also sent on diplomatic missions to Madrid, Constantinople and his cousin in Vienna

Cheers

Colin

The RAF Recruitment Office where Lawrence enlisted was run by Captain W. E. Johns, who was later to become the famous writer and creator of the Biggles character. He reported in his autobiography that Lawrence initially submitted false papers indicating that his name was Shaw, which resulted in his initial rejection. Within an hour Lawrence had returned to the office, with a directive from the War Office indicating that he was to be taken on, regardless of any discrepancy in his papers or medical condition. Johns accepted him, and sent a warning to the induction centre that a new recruit who had strong establishment influence, and who 'dined with Cabinet Ministers on his weekends' was arriving.

Notwithstanding above. TEL's first stint in the RAF was under the name of John Hume Ross...