The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Well whatever - he must have had something I don't :w00t:

With that many partners, chances are he also had something that you wouldn`t want!

General King's service commenced in the1860s and incuded five wars. This chap's service lasted until the 1960s and included four wars.

Who is he ? ? ?

Not sure who he is, but he looks a bit of a hard case. I`m wondering if the four wars would include the Balkans and whether he is Serbian, perhaps?

That seems to be about par for the course in the good ol' US of A right up to the present - something very similar happened to a good friend of mine and apparently no US court will rule against a US company in favour of a non-US plaintiff in an intellectual property case....

As W S Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan found out in the 1870s, over HMS Pinafore.

Ron

Not sure who he is, but he looks a bit of a hard case. I`m wondering if the four wars would include the Balkans and whether he is Serbian, perhaps?

Not Serbian. The GW was the earliest of his wars.

General King's service commenced in the1860s and incuded five wars. This chap's service lasted until the 1960s and included four wars.

Who is he ? ? ?

Marshal Georgy Zhukov?

Ron

re 2124Is that a Russian ? Marshal Konev ?Carl

Ivan Konev, yes. GW, Russian Civil War, Second WW, suppression of the Hungarian revolution.

Marshal Georgy Zhukov?

Ron

Sorry Ron - crossed in the post(ing).

AS I said about Solly-Flood, "he would have been my alternative choice"! :lol:

Ron

When I saw the photo and before reading your text I immediately thought "Mussolini" - but apart from everything else I'm not sure Mussolini ever smiled.....

But here is another puzzler for one and all - pretty obscure, I'd say, so some good clues:

attachicon.gifimage17.jpg

1) He would possibly not have described himself as "German"

2) He was made a lieutenant at age 10 (ten)

3) He served in the GW on the Western Front (IIIrd Army) and Eastern Fronts (Heeresgruppe Eichhorn)

4) He was also sent on diplomatic missions to Madrid, Constantinople and his cousin in Vienna

Cheers

Colin

They are indeed a good set of clues to get stuck into. I`m afraid I`m not doing very well though despite them.

I think I`ve managed to glean that he is royalty, though I`m unsure of his nationality, and I think I might have some idea who his cousin might be, but that`s about it for me at the moment.

Good one to keep working at though, so I`m not waving the white flag just yet.

Inmates and Witters

With half term allowing me to catch my breath, I have updated the WIT spreadsheet.

For new contributors, this excel spreadsheet lists all the people, animals, birds, and inanimate objects that have appeared on this thread ('Who is this ???') and its predecessor ('Who is this?'). It also sorts on separate tabs who posted which pictures or descriptions (WITs and WAIWAs) and who solved them.

I will be sending out this new version to those who have asked for it in the past. If anyone else would like a copy please send me a PM.

The statistics continue to mount up in a fairly mind boggling way. We have now had 1,321 WITs and WAIWAs on the two threads. These have been the subject of 10,344 posts, which have attracted 112,093 views.

I was quite surprised to note that although it has been locked since 18th July last year 'Who is this?' has still had over 5000 views in the last six weeks alone.

'With still power to add' as they say when an Australian batsman reaches his century against England

David

'Who is This?' is becoming a Who's Who.

P.S. it is a shame that the daughter Thread, 'So who IS this?', is spluttering to a close. I was quite optimistic there for a moment.

When I saw the photo and before reading your text I immediately thought "Mussolini" - but apart from everything else I'm not sure Mussolini ever smiled.....

But here is another puzzler for one and all - pretty obscure, I'd say, so some good clues:

attachicon.gifimage17.jpg

1) He would possibly not have described himself as "German"

2) He was made a lieutenant at age 10 (ten)

3) He served in the GW on the Western Front (IIIrd Army) and Eastern Fronts (Heeresgruppe Eichhorn)

4) He was also sent on diplomatic missions to Madrid, Constantinople and his cousin in Vienna

Cheers

Colin

Is he Prince Boris of Bulgaria? Tsar from 1918.

'Who is This?' is becoming a Who's Who.

P.S. it is a shame that the daughter Thread, 'So who IS this?', is spluttering to a close. I was quite optimistic there for a moment.

I was watching, and hoping you would have got there with him, uncle. You certainly deserved to be rewarded for your efforts, for which, for what it`s worth, I commend you.

It`s still an open case anyway, and you never know.........

They are indeed a good set of clues to get stuck into. I`m afraid I`m not doing very well though despite them.

I think I`ve managed to glean that he is royalty, though I`m unsure of his nationality, and I think I might have some idea who his cousin might be, but that`s about it for me at the moment.

Good one to keep working at though, so I`m not waving the white flag just yet.

Is he Prince Boris of Bulgaria? Tsar from 1918.

Not Boris the Bulgar, I'm afraid

I deliberately put "German" in inverted commas - and his dad, who had not made himself C in C of an army, resigned in 1918.

Although it might not be expected, he was actually involved "at the sharp end" on the WF.

Cheers

Colin

I was watching, and hoping you would have got there with him, uncle. You certainly deserved to be rewarded for your efforts, for which, for what it`s worth, I commend you.

It`s still an open case anyway, and you never know.........

Thanks NF - effort too from Martin G, BRONNO and others.

Not Boris the Bulgar, I'm afraid

I deliberately put "German" in inverted commas - and his dad, who had not made himself C in C of an army, resigned in 1918.

Although it might not be expected, he was actually involved "at the sharp end" on the WF.

Cheers

Colin

How about William, Duke of Urach and Wurttemburg, King of Lithuania 1918 to, er, 1918?

I`m sure someone will recognise this officer/writer very quickly. Might be just a case of who`s fastest on the draw.post-95959-0-69743100-1424199455_thumb.j

I`m sure someone will recognise this officer/writer very quickly. Might be just a case of who`s fastest on the draw.attachicon.gifdc.jpg

It's R C Sherriff NF

David

Another easy one; but to make it a bit tougher I want the name of the poet too.....

Pete.

post-101238-0-86258400-1424215326_thumb.

How about William, Duke of Urach and Wurttemburg, King of Lithuania 1918 to, er, 1918?

Sorry, not him either, UG.... but thinking along the lines of the non-Prussian elements of the German army is a good idea.

One of his titles would bring fine porcelain to mind.

His elder brother became a Jesuit, leaving him first in line to the throne.

And although not Bulgarian, he was for a time a captain à la suite to the Royal Bulgarian Infantery

Cheers

Colin

It's R C Sherriff NF

David

I didn`t think he would last long amongst this posse. Good spot David.

I`m sure someone nose Pete`s easy one, but I haven`t the foggiest yet.

Not sure if U.G. has nailed Colin`s, but do we know who this pair might be???

post-95959-0-02984700-1424254478_thumb.j

EDIT: I see now that Colin`s remains unsolved.

Edited by neverforget

Sorry, not him either, UG.... but thinking along the lines of the non-Prussian elements of the German army is a good idea.

One of his titles would bring fine porcelain to mind.

His elder brother became a Jesuit, leaving him first in line to the throne.

And although not Bulgarian, he was for a time a captain à la suite to the Royal Bulgarian Infantery

Cheers

Colin

Friedrich Christian, Margrave of Meissen, Prince of Saxony.

Friedrich Christian, Margrave of Meissen, Prince of Saxony.

You're in the money, UG - well done!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Christian,_Margrave_of_Meissen

Or if you're into German

http://www.prinz-albert-von-sachsen.de/inhalt/historie/friedrich_christian.htm

All sources I have seen mention that he received awards for bravery (as opposed to medals for successful "back-seat driving" like the Saxon Military Order of St. Henry, which he also received), but nowhere are these awards named. I can only assume the Iron Cross 2nd and 1st class.

He seems to have used Albert as his familiar name - the 3rd of his 7 given names...

Cheers

Colin

By the way, is there a general interest in more lesser-known German WITs?

I hope it would perhaps widen some horizons (incl. mine), but I am sure it's also very time-consuming to track them down - for me too, as there is not anywhere near as much literature, internet sites etc. on the GW here as in the Anglo-Saxon world, but it is an area of interest to me.

Cheers

Colin