The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I have a new one for you:

post-32240-0-32907600-1424262193_thumb.j

He was called up for service but was sent back home shortly thereafter, with one of the most unusual of reasons for discharge I have ever seen.

-Daniel

No idea so far, Daniel, but I just know this is going to be a good `un.

Yes, bring `em on now Colin. That way, I may get some return for the last couple of hours spent trawling through the various European royal family trees looking for your last one. :) Fair play play to UG for solving it. I was going google-eyed.

A couple of pictorial clues for my duo, whom I have bought over from the previous page for your convenience.

post-95959-0-77187000-1424266548_thumb.jpost-95959-0-10624900-1424266562_thumb.jpost-95959-0-09431500-1424266573_thumb.j

You're nearly there. Right network but wrong individuals.

You're nearly there. Right network but wrong individuals.

Jean Desonay and Herman Chauvin?

I was interested to see that of the first two I mentioned, one cousin set up an Intelligence network, was captured and executed in the GW; the other set up an Intelligence network, was captured and executed in the Second war.

Dieudonne Lambrecht founded an intelligence network, code-named Lambrecht. Not the most prudent choice of "code" names in my estimation, and no wonder he got caught. Walthere Dewe took over the mantle, and very sensibly renamed the network "White lady".

However, I`m afraid you still haven`t captured my agents. Jean Desonay and Herman Chauvin it is not.

Any clues please?

Colin, be careful what you wish for. Daniel's clues are legendary. On the subject of your offer to post more German Wit?s I would also welcome them. Although I have little chance of getting them right, the stories are good. Equally Carl's postings have been really interesting. Keep them coming guys.

Pete.

P.S. I looked at Daniel's man and thought he looked like Ewan McGregor.

Antoine and Louis Collard

The Collard brothers it is. Both executed together.

:ph34r: Carl

Here are the Freres Collard commemorated on the memorial at their native Tintigny.

post-48281-0-35639100-1424294593_thumb.j

Whilst we work on Daniel's man, here's another with a Danielesque first clue:

post-48281-0-89219200-1424294858_thumb.j

His left thumb print !

Here are the Freres Collard commemorated on the memorial at their native Tintigny.

attachicon.gifIMG_3453 (450 x 600).jpg

Thanks, Steve. I was out at the time I posted my response to Carl`s correct guess, and so couldn`t attach the link by phone, but didn`t want to delay proceedings until I got home. The link I intended to post: (If you scroll down the page there is a fair bit of info on everyone featured.) http://www.1914-1918.be/civil_walthere_dewe.php

While I`m here, I wonder if I could tempt Pete into giving us (me) a bit of a pointer to his outstanding chap?

So we've no further clues for Pete's chap and Daniel tells us his man was conscripted into the US Army (for a few weeks)...it's going to be a long night so I'll give further clues for mine. He fancied himself as a newspaper proprietor. He was a pioneer and his paper is still published today.

My chap was called up for the US Army. He was known by two names...

Don't tell me, a Christian name and a surname, knowing you Daniel!

Sorry all for being incomunicado (or however you spell it) for the last few hours. I've been researching the logistics of doing all of the Messines mines in a day and alternatives for insulating the outside of Owls Towers. I know what you are thinking, I'm one of those 24 hour party people.

I was so convinced that my man would go quickly I hadn't thought of any fiendish Danielesque clues. Amongst many brilliant achievements he wrote poetry (with one particularly brilliantly scurilous example) and shares his surname with a poet. He was an MP, a conservator of the River Thames and an honourary boatman and lighterman. Above all he was brilliantly funny.

Pete.

Don't tell me, a Christian name and a surname, knowing you Daniel!

You read my mind David. And the first part of the clue narrows the choice down to less than 5 million.

I think your man is A P Herbert Pete

David

PS I always think it very powerful that such a funny man could write quite the most depressing book about the Great War. If you can read 'The Secret Battle' and still retain much faith in the human race you are a better man than me Gunga Din

I think you are right David. But who is the rival poet?

Pete.

I didn't realise he was enough of a poet to have a rival! (Mind you, love his 'She Shanties')

Sorry David, I was being obscure. I was alluding to the character in Shakespeare's sonnets who is usually identified as Kit Marlowe. The poet of the same name I had in mind was George Herbert. As for his namesake his poems are not great but I would suggest that he was. Alan Patrick Herbert was a sub-Lt. in the Royal Naval Division in WW1 serving with distinction at Gallipoli and on the Somme. His Beaucourt Revisited is an oft quoted war poem and his evisceration of the commander of the RND on the Somme, Cameron Shute is grimly scurrilous. As an MP he reformed the divorce laws and was responsible for some of the funniest work about the law ever written in Misleading Cases in the Common Law. His alter ego the litigious Albert P Haddock's attempt to pay his taxes with a cheque written on the side of a cow (of malevolent aspect) in Board of Inland Revenue v Haddock is justly famous.

Pete..

Too broad, then? ;)

He was a New Yorker (surprise!) and you were actually in a way not far off from a good line of thinking by talking about 'Christian' names versus his famous name.

So we've no further clues for Pete's chap and Daniel tells us his man was conscripted into the US Army (for a few weeks)...it's going to be a long night so I'll give further clues for mine. He fancied himself as a newspaper proprietor. He was a pioneer and his paper is still published today.

Is he William Henry Wright? He was a gold prospector and founder of the Canadian 'Globe and Mail'.

At the outbreak of the GW he was 38 years old and a millionaire: however, he joined the Canadian army as a private and served overseas.

There are clues, cryptic clues and Daniel's smoke bombs...

So to summarise: we are looking for a man from NYC who was called up for the US Army but discharged almost immediately for some weird reason and (post GW?) used a pseudonym...

Where to start? :huh:

Or are we looking at some kind of evangelist (the stressing of "Christian") - unless he was an entertainer or a crook/politician?

Cheers

Colin

Is he William Henry Wright?

No, he started his pioneering work in the last years of the 19th century and during WW1 was in charge of its implementation in the British Army. It was one of the few areas of the war where we were better than the Germans from the start. Various members of his service have already featured on WIT