The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

No, he started his pioneering work in the last years of the 19th century and during WW1 was in charge of its implementation in the British Army. It was one of the few areas of the war where we were better than the Germans from the start. Various members of his service have already featured on WIT

Capt. A P Corcoran?

There are clues, cryptic clues and Daniel's smoke bombs...

So to summarise: we are looking for a man from NYC who was called up for the US Army but discharged almost immediately for some weird reason and (post GW?) used a pseudonym...

Where to start? :huh:

Or are we looking at some kind of evangelist (the stressing of "Christian") - unless he was an entertainer or a crook/politician?

Cheers

Colin

Colin,

You are quite close to figuring him out. One more clue for you: his post-war career was fraught with controversy, which scholars in his particular field debate to this very day. Some would say that he never quite filled the big shoes of the man he replaced in his chosen field, as it were.

Daniel

Capt. A P Corcoran?

Dear friend, no...........

So to summarise: we are looking for a man from NYC who was called up for the US Army but discharged almost immediately for some weird reason and (post GW?) used a pseudonym...

Or are we looking at some kind of evangelist (the stressing of "Christian") - unless he was an entertainer or a crook/politician?

Cheers

Colin

Ah Colin. There are wan smiles on the faces of myself, Pete, Steve, Caryl, neverforget, Uncle George, khaki and so many other old lags to see yet another Inmate sucked into the black hole of Daniel's clues.

We all started the same way - thinking that the answer was just out of reach, that we just needed that extra clue - and then it happens: we realise that each new clue takes us farther away from the answer, not closer. That behind this façade of amiability and New World courtesy lurks the mind of a super-villain who toys with us humble mortals for mere sport. Oh and by the way when we finally discover who this chap is it is almost guaranteed that none of us will have heard of him.

Good luck mate, you really are one of us now

David

Cheers

Colin

WSC : "Out of intense complexities intense simplicities emerge.”

Well I've wasted most of my day on this, but it's been very quiet today and I've learnt a lot of trivia, nevertheless thanks for the commiserations! My objection being only that this chap seemingly had nothing to do with the GW after he'd called up and then been sent home again.

I final try before I wreck my computer: The big controversy of the 1920s that still resonates was, of course, the Scopes monkey trial, but there seems to be no connection to NYC. The names that come up there are William Jennings Bryan, politician and creationist, leader of the prosecution team (too old), his son WJB jr. (can't find anything on him), Clarence Darrow, leader of the defence team and civil liberties activist and one Sue Hicks, a male member of the defence team who later became a judge and was possibly the person that inspired the Johnny Cash song.

The last mentioned could have been sent home from the army because of the derision he may have been subject to about his name - but I have no confirmation.

Scopes himself would have been too young to be called up.

Now whilst composing this Daniel has confused me even more with his latest offering, so my toys have now been forcibly ejected from my pram and I'm going home to sulk.

SO THERE!

Cheers

Colin

Whilst we tear ourselves apart about Daniel's, further clues to mine. The paper will have been in existence 117 years this April

Well I've wasted most of my day on this, but it's been very quiet today and I've learnt a lot of trivia, nevertheless thanks for the commiserations! My objection being only that this chap seemingly had nothing to do with the GW after he'd called up and then been sent home again.

I final try before I wreck my computer: The big controversy of the 1920s that still resonates was, of course, the Scopes monkey trial, but there seems to be no connection to NYC. The names that come up there are William Jennings Bryan, politician and creationist, leader of the prosecution team (too old), his son WJB jr. (can't find anything on him), Clarence Darrow, leader of the defence team and civil liberties activist and one Sue Hicks, a male member of the defence team who later became a judge and was possibly the person that inspired the Johnny Cash song.

The last mentioned could have been sent home from the army because of the derision he may have been subject to about his name - but I have no confirmation.

Scopes himself would have been too young to be called up.

Now whilst composing this Daniel has confused me even more with his latest offering, so my toys have now been forcibly ejected from my pram and I'm going home to sulk.

SO THERE!

Cheers

Colin

Colin this is brilliant reasoning and deserves to be the correct answer. If Daniel had an ounce of decency behind his suave international criminal facade he would give it to you for working out as the examiners never did on my mathematics papers. Like you I have learned a massive amount by following wild goose chases in the course of this thread.

Pete.

P.S. Just for the record I don't do wan smiles, particularly after the result from Bern. I now have a grin from ear to ear which will require a trip to A&E to remove.

Colin has done a fantastic job reasoning his way to a fine candidate, who, sadly, is not my chappie. :)

Fine, more clues for my fellow WITters, but now I feel I am really giving it away:

The man my fella replaced... was his own brother, to thus work alongside...his brother.

You may not recognize him in this photo but his face is, in all likelihood, one you have seen before, but when asked to describe himself, his reply was "I'm hideous."

-Daniel

Colin has done a fantastic job reasoning his way to a fine candidate, who, sadly, is not my chappie. :)

Fine, more clues for my fellow WITters, but now I feel I am really giving it away:

The man my fella replaced... was his own brother, to thus work alongside...his brother.

You may not recognize him in this photo but his face is, in all likelihood, one you have seen before, but when asked to describe himself, his reply was "I'm hideous."

-Daniel

I think it might be "Shemp", Daniel, though I may well have the wrong brother, or even the wrong brothers?

Can`t back it up with any strange discharge story.

Whilst we tear ourselves apart about Daniel's, further clues to mine. The paper will have been in existence 117 years this April

Steve, I really feel that I should know this fellow, and after exhausting searches, and a hatful of clues to go on, the penny still refuses to drop.

Hoping for a Eureka moment, which I`m sure will hit me the moment someone else posts the answer.

Yep, NF you've nailed Daniel's, it is definitely Stemp Howard (of Three Stooges fame). He was supposedly discharged (an appropriate word !) from the army for bed-wetting.

A further clue for my chap. He was appointed Lieutenant Colonel to run his service.

I think it might be "Shemp", Daniel, though I may well have the wrong brother, or even the wrong brothers?

Can`t back it up with any strange discharge story.

Steve, I really feel that I should know this fellow, and after exhausting searches, and a hatful of clues to go on, the penny still refuses to drop.

Hoping for a Eureka moment, which I`m sure will hit me the moment someone else posts the answer.

You have him! Well done! :D Discharged from the army for bed-wetting.

Born Samuel Horwitz in New York, Shemp went on to fame as the replacement for 'Curly', his brother who appeared with Moses Horwitz, aka 'Moe' Howard and Larry Fine (born Louis Feinberg) in the original Three Stooges.

Here's Shemp's Draft Registration Card:

post-32240-0-04162100-1424382616_thumb.j

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-26518-32280-46?cc=1968530

Neither Moe nor Larry served in the Great War, in case you were wondering.

Shemp was known pretty widely as 'The Ugliest Man in Hollywood'.

Read more about Shemp, here:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29410/shemp-forgotten-stooge

-Daniel

PS: Moe Howard's Draft Registration Card, in case you are interested:

tumblr_m0r8edLUet1qgnltjo1_500.jpg

Good one, Daniel. And I must add; good clues too. At this rate, "Danielesque" will soon be used to describe one who is being too generous with their clue-giving. :whistle:

I have put just as much work into Steve`s man, and I feel so close, though I`m probably no nearer than when I started. I think this one takes the biscuit for me as regards driving me round the bend.

I thought I had him via his thumb-print, but it turned out that one of his whorls wasn`t quite right. :w00t:

A new one for you, and it looks like it might be time to rewrite the record books again. Thanks largely to a member of this G.W.F.

Who is this???post-95959-0-19987600-1424385686_thumb.j

R.F.A. 5th Division. Killed 1916. His brother was killed a year later.

Last clue of the day. He volunteered in 1914 and formed the VPWC

He volunteered in 1914

Along with just over a million other men. Very Danielesque Mr M!

David

......and set up the VPMC

Forgive my ignorance but I've no idea what that stands for

David

Sorry David, it's early ! That should have read VPWC

The Three Stooges? Well I think I've heard the name before, but they're way off my radar.... I'll read Daniel's links when I get to work and have some free time. Nevertheless, well done NF!

And as for VPWC - Victory Praise & Worship Centre? Visa Paralympics World Cup?

No, I'm not going down that highway - I want revenge!! :devilgrin:

Who ist this?

post-116807-0-50469900-1424419205_thumb.

Just 1 mean clue (although I might soften up later):

- soon after the GW he was condemned to death, but the sentence was commuted the very next day

Cheers

Colin

What will hopefully be the last clue needed for mine: a man of lofty ideals, 100,000 recruits past through his hands who were responsible, amongst other endeavours, for saving hundreds of lives

Another day of self-inflicted insanity begins with Steve`s latest clues. I just can`t bring myself to give up on him, but my goodness, it`s quite a ride.

Colin is being very cagey, and I`m wondering if his man`s "crime" occured during or just after WW1?

I could have put my chap in the colours sub-theme, and Stormwatch might help you find him if you think of folk-rock.

Why do I persist with this munificence, and making it so easy for you!?

Colin is being very cagey,

In a way, you could say my chap was too :thumbsup:

A new one for you, and it looks like it might be time to rewrite the record books again. Thanks largely to a member of this G.W.F.

Who is this???attachicon.gifia.jpg

R.F.A. 5th Division. Killed 1916. His brother was killed a year later.

He is George Bemand, possibly the British Army's first black officer.

... and I`m wondering if his man`s "crime" occured during or just after WW1?

The crime (no need for inverted commas!) was murder - politically-racially motivated murder in fact - committed just a few months after the armistice

Cheers

Colin