The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

. I put loads of work into finding him, but went down the wrong road, looking at medics et al.

Wild goose-chases are surprisingly informative in any case. It`s amazing what you learn by accident.

I know what you mean. When after what seemed like hours, blind alleys, false starts, incorrect guesses, to finally solve it: I thought, "Gordon Bennett!"

EDIT: sorry I meant to say, not Parr.

I have to confess that after all that work, a similar, if not quite so restrained expletive came to my lips when I saw pigeons.......

I must admit, it`s one that often accompanies pigeons in the same sentence at the best of times.

I take it I was way off the mark with Parr then?

I have to confess that after all that work, a similar, if not quite so restrained expletive came to my lips when I saw pigeons.......

I must admit, it`s one that often accompanies pigeons in the same sentence at the best of times.

I take it I was way off the mark with Parr then?

My chap became a brigadier general when he was still in his 20s.

It`s not Townshend is it? Doesn`t really look like him.

I`ve got the feeling I`m off down one of those long and winding wrong roads again.

It`s not Townshend is it? Doesn`t really look like him.

I`ve got the feeling I`m off down one of those long and winding wrong roads again.

No. Gallipoli, Pozières; caused a controversy in/after the Second war.

That's got to be Bernard Freyberg

I fear not.

After switching my search to WW2, and Singapore, guess who`se name leapt out at me from off the page:

Lieutenant General Henry Gordon Bennett! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Bennett_(general)

His contribution to our war was impressive.

Cheeky one, U.G. Gave us the answer as well.

And the link to Sword of Honour ist Ivor Claire's escape from Crete despite orders to continue fighting as long as possible and then surrender. Well done NF!

Thanks. I had a hunch that we were looking for Allied Generals involved in surrenders, but was focusing on WW1. Singapore was my first port of call in WW2, but I could see it wasn`t Percival. It was quite a surprise to see Gordon Bennett on the page.

Anyway, I can`t resist another outpouring of generosity, so I will add that my writer/pacifist was initially rejected on medical grounds for the Army, but nevertheless ended up as a Brig` General. Already had an extensive military background.

His books are amongst the most well known on the subject of WW1.

Anyway, I can`t resist another outpouring of generosity, so I will add that my writer/pacifist was initially rejected on medical grounds for the Army, but nevertheless ended up as a Brig` General. Already had an extensive military background.

His books are amongst the most well known on the subject of WW1.

Is it Frank Percy Crozier?

Right first time,Colin. Well played. Author of Brass hat in no-man`s land, and The men I killed.

Quite a character. Executed several men, including his namesake, James Crozier, after promising his mother that he would look after him. Crozier later recalled how the youngster was secured to a stake 10 yards from the firing squad. "There are hooks on the post; we always do things thoroughly in the Rifles. He is hooked on like dead meat in a butcher's shop. His eyes are bandaged - not that it really matters, for he is already blind."

After the shooting, as Frank Crozier recalled, life resumed as normal. " We march back to breakfast while the men of a certain company pay the last tribute at the graveside of an unfortunate comrade. This is war."
Frank Crozier didn't want James' family to discover how he had died. He tried but failed to pass off his death as 'killed in action'.
Frank Crozier`s death received much national attention, in contrast with the secret demise of his namesake two decades earlier.
And now, unfortunately I must depart from the action, and away to bed. Dreaded night-shift beckons.

Right first time,Colin. Well played. Author of Brass hat in no-man`s land, and The men I killed.

Quite a character. Executed several men, including his namesake, James Crozier, after promising his mother that he would look after him. Crozier later recalled how the youngster was secured to a stake 10 yards from the firing squad. "There are hooks on the post; we always do things thoroughly in the Rifles. He is hooked on like dead meat in a butcher's shop. His eyes are bandaged - not that it really matters, for he is already blind."

After the shooting, as Frank Crozier recalled, life resumed as normal. " We march back to breakfast while the men of a certain company pay the last tribute at the graveside of an unfortunate comrade. This is war."
Frank Crozier didn't want James' family to discover how he had died. He tried but failed to pass off his death as 'killed in action'.
Frank Crozier`s death received much national attention, in contrast with the secret demise of his namesake two decades earlier.
And now, unfortunately I must depart from the action, and away to bed. Dreaded night-shift beckons.

Yes, from what I've read about him he must have been a rather nasty piece of work, quite a butcher and, as it says here, not the kind of soldier who let ethical niceties get in the way of military success

https://greatwarfiction.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/croziers-a-brass-hat-in-no-mans-land/

And it's also quite interesting what Robert Graves had to say about him:

https://greatwarfiction.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/robert-graves-on-crozier-and-on-war-fiction/

Cheers

Colin

Now who is this?

post-116807-0-51857600-1424511555_thumb.

He fits 2 categories

1) Firsts & Lasts

2) Poets' names

He is also German (as was the poet, who is not unknown in the English-speaking world and who also served in the GW)

Cheers

Colin

Now who is this?

attachicon.gifimage19.jpg

He fits 2 categories

1) Firsts & Lasts

2) Poets' names

He is also German (as was the poet, who is not unknown in the English-speaking world and who also served in the GW)

Cheers

Colin

Erich Kaestner?

Erich Kaestner?

Yes, it is indeed Erich Kästner, supposedly the last living veteran of the German GW army. He died virtually unnoticed in 2008 aged 107. He does, however have a Wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_K%C3%A4stner_%28World_War_I_veteran%29

The poet, author and journalist Erich Kästner, known primarily these days for his children's stories, was a gunner in the GW and blamed his heart condition on the brutality of the training he had to endure.

Well done once again UG!

Cheers

Colin

I think Uncle has Carl's man. Interesting reading about Weygand's "parents".

Yes, it is indeed Erich Kästner, supposedly the last living veteran of the German GW army. He died virtually unnoticed in 2008 aged 107. He does, however have a Wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_K%C3%A4stner_%28World_War_I_veteran%29

The poet, author and journalist Erich Kästner, known primarily these days for his children's stories, was a gunner in the GW and blamed his heart condition on the brutality of the training he had to endure.

Well done once again UG!

Cheers

Colin

Tarnation! I would have actually gotten this one! :(

Right then. Who is this ? ? ?

Well it looks like he may have picked up couple of carneval medals along the way.....

post-116807-0-67212900-1424534898_thumb.

But I guess they are probably religious charms? Russian?

Well it looks like he may have picked up couple of carneval medals along the way.....

attachicon.gifimage20.jpg

You have asked a question; and made a false assumption.

attachicon.gifimage20.jpg

So, Russian - yes;

Medals - undeniably;

'Carnival' medals/religious charms - some or all will not be either.

The false assumption remains ...