The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Sorry for the late reply, Uncle, I had to go out and only just got back.

These men shot at Alpini and were shot at by Alpini - a sort of militia that came together in times of emergency and in which the men elected their own officers. They saw themselves in the proud tradition of Andreas Hofer. My man was killed in action at age 49 and became a real folk hero.

Another pic: attachicon.gifimage25a.JPG

The Tyrolean Landesschutzen ?

He is Sepp Innerkofler.

So he is, Uncle.

Innerkofler was a mountaineer and mountain guide. After Italy declared war on Austria the bulk of the Austrian army was on the Serbo-Russian front, creating quite a precarious situation for Austria in the Alps. Innerkofler and a number of colleagues, who knew the mountains intimately and had observed Italian movements prior to declaring war, created Tyrolean “Standschützen” and were able to prevent an Italian breakthrough long enough for the Austrians to bring up regular troops (Kaiserjäger).

He was killed during an attempt to dislodge the Alpini from a mountain peak (Paternkofel / Paterno) when he and a small band of men climbed the mountain face to force the Italians off. There are 2 accounts of how he died:

• an Alpino hit Innerkofler with a rock during hand-to-hand fighting and the force of the blow knocked over a precipice (this is the version of the Alpino concerned)
  • Innerkofler was hit by friendly covering fire and fell down the precipice (the version favoured by Innerkofler's sons who were watching the action).

His tale of derring-do can be read here - rather lengthy, but worth it, I think:

http://www.worldwar1.com/itafront/sepp_ink.htm

And info on Standschützen here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standsch%C3%BCtzen

Cheeers

Colin

The right outfit (then the RNWMP) but not the right chap.

Yes, RNWMP... so maybe Major (Supt.) George Worsley of the famous "B" Squadron?

Good night - early start tomorrow....

Just in case Colin hasn't nailed the Mountie, can I chuck Bowen Perry in as my guess?

Yes, RNWMP... so maybe Major (Supt.) George Worsley of the famous "B" Squadron?

Just in case Colin hasn't nailed the Mountie, can I chuck Bowen Perry in as my guess?

No neither of those. This Inspector was appointed to the military rank of Major, and was the commanding officer of 'A' squadron, sent as a component of the CEF to the Western front.

No neither of those. This Inspector was appointed to the military rank of Major, and was the commanding officer of 'A' squadron, sent as a component of the CEF to the Western front.

Major George Jennings?

Cheers

Colin

Is it Lothar von Arnauld de la Periere?

You have him, Daniel. Well played.

How about this gentleman.post-95959-0-58089400-1424902307_thumb.j

EDIT: Submarine prisoner.

Edited by neverforget

Your involuntary submariner is quite a stumper?

I've had this fellow at the ready on the odd chance I got one.

post-32240-0-99996600-1424910364_thumb.j

Clue #1: He attended the same high school as my dad.

:thumbsup:

All right, he was another New Yorker (a Brooklynian), born elsewhere. I'll leave you to work out what he did during the war...

I`ll take a guess: Kenneth Russell Unger?

My chap`s father was from Alsace-Lorraine, and his mother was from Iowa. Her lineage was Baden-Württemberg.

His ship was sunk by a sub, and he was taken prisoner.
His actions forthwith resulted in him being decorated.

Clue to help Daniel only: "Not to be confused with someone else of the same name" :)

I`ll take a guess: Kenneth Russell Unger?

My chap`s father was from Alsace-Lorraine, and his mother was from Iowa. Her lineage was Baden-Württemberg.

His ship was sunk by a sub, and he was taken prisoner.

His actions forthwith resulted in him being decorated.

Clue to help Daniel only: "Not to be confused with someone else of the same name" :)

He is Edouard Izac. He died in 1990, and was the longest surviving Medal of Honor recipient from the GW.

He is Edouard Izac. He died in 1990, and was the longest surviving Medal of Honor recipient from the GW.

That`s correct of course, uncle.

On May 31, 1918, President Lincoln sank after being struck by three torpedoes from the German submarine U–90. Izac was taken aboard the U–90 as a prisoner of war. Learning valuable information about enemy submarine movements on the trip to Germany, he tried to escape several times. On one attempt, he was injured after jumping through the window of a moving train. He finally succeeded in escaping, from a German prison camp on the night of October 6-7. He and Sub-Lieutenant Willis reached neutral Switzerland on October 13. Upon reaching London, he passed on his information to Admiral Sims; by that time, however, the war was nearly over, and Sims showed little interest. Nevertheless, for his actions, he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

One or two more well known heroes here. http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/6-american-heroes-of-wwi

Another one whom I only expect to make a brief appearance.

Who is this???post-95959-0-50857600-1424963071_thumb.j

A real ripping yarn. Adventurer and author.

Your involuntary submariner is quite a stumper?

I've had this fellow at the ready on the odd chance I got one.

attachicon.gifflyer2.jpg

Clue #1: He attended the same high school as my dad.

All right, he was another New Yorker (a Brooklynian), born elsewhere. I'll leave you to work out what he did during the war...

Is he James Meissner?

Is he James Meissner?

You have him! Well done. He attended the same high school as my dad, Erasmus Hall. Born in Nova Scotia, he grew up in Brooklyn and became an Ace during the war, with eight confirmed kills. He flew with Eddie Rickenbacker. He earned the Distingushed Service Cross and the Croix Du Guerre. You can read his full wiki, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Armand_Meissner

-Daniel

Another one whom I only expect to make a brief appearance.

Who is this???attachicon.gifsm.jpg

A real ripping yarn.

I don't recognise the photo, but he does look rather like Walther Schwieger of U20/Lusitania infamy - "The Baby Killer"

Not him,Colin.

Being an explorer, it is safe to say he was well travelled. One of his haunts has a geographical feature named after him.

Not him,Colin.

Being an explorer, it is safe to say he was well travelled. One of his haunts has a geographical feature named after him.

Edgar von Spiegel von und zu Peckelsheim.

Crazy name, crazy guy.

Edgar von Spiegel von und zu Peckelsheim.

Crazy name, crazy guy.

I know of him, but never saw his picture before. His story of his exploits is quite a fun read.