The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

He "looked like a professor"; his "personality was that of a studious academic": yet he was twice cited for gallantry during the Spanish-American War, and "could fight with daring and courage". He won the Distinguished Service Cross in 1918.

He is remembered not so much for his appearance or personality or courage. Who is he ? ? ?

post-108430-0-93529000-1424977249_thumb.

Edgar von Spiegel von und zu Peckelsheim.

Crazy name, crazy guy.

I know of him, but never saw his picture before. His story of his exploits is quite a fun read.

Just read up on him too, and yes he was a very interesting character indeed.

However.......He`s not my man!

My man was Mr.Mine, and his exploits make a good read too.

He was truly a pioneering explorer, and his legendary adventures took him far from home as well as local. China, England, South America, Holland included.

He "looked like a professor"; his "personality was that of a studious academic"; yet he was twice cited for gallantry during the Spanish-American War, and "could fight with daring and courage". He won the Distinguished Service Cross in 1918.

He is remembered not so much for his appearance or personality or courage. Who is he ? ? ?.

Not sure if that`s a semi-legible signature at the bottom of the picture, and I don`t want to spoil it by looking too closely, but if it is, you might want to edit and crop it before someone more eagle-eyed than I sees it.

He looks to me to have quite a "kind" face, and I think he`s American, so I`m going to start looking at padres I think.

Not sure if that`s a semi-legible signature at the bottom of the picture, and I don`t want to spoil it by looking too closely, but if it is, you might want to edit and crop it before someone more eagle-eyed than I sees it.

Thanks NF - I noticed the signature before posting, but thought it was such a squiggle I could leave it.

I wouldn't spend too much time looking at padres.

I wouldn't spend too much time looking at padres.

Thank you for sparing me. I was about 100 miles down the wrong road already. :thumbsup:

I`m going to have to try to prise a little more out of you. I`m a bit stuck.

Just read up on him too, and yes he was a very interesting character indeed.

However.......He`s not my man!

I guess I still have not seen a picture of him, then!

:D

Thank you for sparing me. I was about 100 miles down the wrong road already. :thumbsup:

I`m going to have to try to prise a little more out of you. I`m a bit stuck.

"But there was no Leavenworth for [this speciality]. When the United States went to war there were only four men in the War Department who were really trained [in this field]. The Department tried to institute a short course ... at the Army War College, but that did little to help, because the AEF was moving much faster than Washington ever could. By August 1918, as the AEF was preparing for the St. Mihiel operation, the army in the United States still did not have a school in place."

O.K. Wild guess: Is it William H. Clopton, Jr? Can`t find a picture of him.

Maybe the penny will drop if I bring all the clues on "Mr.Mine" together, and then add a couple more.

Explorer. Author. Well travelled. Geographical feature named after him. Legendary adventures took him far from home as well as local. China, England, South America, Holland included. Assisted by a Princess Juliana, and also the British Museum. Arrested in Germany as a spy.

The thing for which he is most well known he must have been justifiably well proud of, and it makes him unique.

As "unique" would suggest, no-one has ever repeated this achievement, though many have tried.

Maybe the penny will drop if I bring all the clues on "Mr.Mine" together, and then add a couple more.

Explorer. Author. Well travelled. Geographical feature named after him. Legendary adventures took him far from home as well as local. China, England, South America, Holland included. Assisted by a Princess Juliana, and also the British Museum. Arrested in Germany as a spy.

The thing for which he is most well known he must have been justifiably well proud of, and it makes him unique.

As "unique" would suggest, no-one has ever repeated this achievement, though many have tried.

Is he Ludwig von Hohnel?

EDIT: or more likely, Gunther Pluschow.

Is he Ludwig von Hohnel?

EDIT: or more likely, Gunther Pluschow.

Gunther Pluschow it is. Amazing fellow.

The only German P.O.W. in either world war to successfully complete a "home-run" from England to Germany, amongst other things, like setting out for Germany from China on foot after escaping from the clutches of the Japanese, for example. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_Pl%C3%BCschow

Not tanks. Intelligence.

Brigadier General Nolan.

You could say I was on the right lines with "padre" after all. :whistle: He was known as the Father of American Intelligence.

Brigadier General Nolan.[/size]

You could say I was on the right lines with "padre" after all. :whistle:[/size] [/size]He was known as the Father of American intelligence.[/size]

You're right - General Dennis E Nolan, the Father of American Military Intelligence:

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/nolan_dennis.htm

He is a member of the Military Intelligence Hall of Fame. (Yes, there is such a thing):

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Intelligence_Hall_of_Fame

Not a clue, Carl, except he must have been doing alright to be able to afford a coat like that.

Can I bring this calm, cool, and very focused chap into the fray.post-95959-0-68477300-1425065826_thumb.j

His part was played during the recent spate of new telly stuff.

Oh alright then, it was "Our World War"

as my previous one was too easy .....

who is this then ?

Carl

(tip not King Albert this time !)

As aces and explorers have featured here of late, my guess is Edmond Thieffry: air ace and aviation pioneer, he made the first successful flight between Belgium and Congo

(tip not King Albert this time !)

Is it Albert King then?

My chap was yet another first to...........

He was determined "They shall not pass." Stayed at his post till the job was done.

Wasn`t keen on being called "Sir".

I've no idea about Our World War, not being able to watch British TV (I'll have to move to the Netherlands!), but is it Maurice Dease - first posthumous VC of the GW?

At Mons he continued to control the firing of his machine guns until the very end.

Cheers

Colin

As aces and explorers have featured here of late, my guess is Edmond Thieffry: air ace and aviation pioneer, he made the first successful flight between Belgium and Congo

no, my officer was kia in sep 14 and was a first

Carl