The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I've no idea about Our World War, not being able to watch British TV (I'll have to move to the Netherlands!), but is it Maurice Dease - first posthumous VC of the GW?

At Mons he continued to control the firing of his machine guns until the very end.

Cheers

Colin

Not Lt Dease Colin, but you've nailed the location.

Not Lt Dease Colin, but you've nailed the location.

I thought, but it might be Theodore Wright, but it isn't - it is Charles Jarvis, who earned his VC simultaneously with Wright.

Very cunning of you, not being keen being called "sir" (as a corporal) and cropping out his chest with the VC on it......

I thought, but it might be Theodore Wright, but it isn't - it is Charles Jarvis, who earned his VC simultaneously with Wright.

Very cunning of you, not being keen being called "sir" (as a corporal) and cropping out his chest with the VC on it......

Quite right, Colin. Corporal Jarvis, who won the first Scottish V.C. of the war. https://archive.angus.gov.uk/history/features/people/charlesjarvis.htm

In January 1917 Jarvis was dismissed from the British Army after over 17 years service. He claimed in an interview with the London Star that the authorities had done this to avoid paying him the pension granted to men with 18 years' service.

He claimed in an interview with the London Star that the authorities had done this to avoid paying him the pension granted to men with 18 years' service.

Now why does that have the ring of absolute credibility....? :hypocrite:

This fellow went to war with a disability, and was also taunted about his being "fat".

Nevertheless, he did so well that he ended up being congratulated by the enemy.

post-95959-0-57708300-1425123394_thumb.j

as my previous one was too easy .....

who is this then ?

Carl

(tip not King Albert this time !)

How about Henri Baudouin Lamoral, Prince de Ligne, killed in action at Herentals, Belgium on September 8 1914, age 18.

no, my officer was kia in sep 14 and was a first

Carl

On the off-chance that U.G. is mistaken, I`ll go for Prince Maurice Of Battenberg. Youngest Grandchild Of Queen Victoria, Killed In Action 1914?

EDIT: To help him along, I will let on that my gentleman was a "digger".

Edited by neverforget

How about Henri Baudouin Lamoral, Prince de Ligne, killed in action at Herentals, Belgium on September 8 1914, age 18.

very close but no .....

my chap was at the head of a rather aristocratic unit. Prince de Ligne, Count Villermont and Baron Zualart were all volunteers in his unit.

Carl

This fellow went to war with a disability, and was also taunted about his being "fat".

Nevertheless, he did so well that he ended up being congratulated by the enemy.

attachicon.gifba.jpg

Dominic McCarthy VC

Dominic McCarthy VC

Well worked out. McCarthy it is.

"On 23 August 1918, McCarthy performed what was later described in the official history as being the most effective piece of individual fighting in the history of the AIF, next to Albert Jacka's Military Cross winning feat at Pozières. Near Madam Wood, east of Vermandovillers, France, the battalion was heavily opposed by well-posted German machine-guns. McCarthy, realizing the situation, dashed across the open ground with two men to the nearest post, where, having out-distanced his companions, he put the gun out of action, then continued fighting his way down the trench. Later, having been joined by one of his men, together they bombed their way along the trench until contact was established with an adjoining unit.
During this action McCarthy had killed 22 of the enemy, taken 50 prisoners and captured 3 machine-guns and 500 yards (460 m) of the German front. The battalion historian wrote that following McCarthy's feat, "the prisoners closed in on him from all sides ... and patted him on the back!" For this McCarthy was awarded the Victoria Cross that, within his battalion and in some quarters of the London press, came to be known as the "super-VC"
Not bad for a disabled fat bloke in my book. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_McCarthy

Who is this intrepid flyer ? ? ?

I posted him a while back, uncle, so I`ll stay out of this one.

Charles Henkart then Carl

correct Steve !

Lieutenant Charles Henkart rejoined his regiment in Augustus 14 with two of his personal cars. He bolted some armor to them put a Lewis machine gun on top and took to the road. He and the Prince de Ligne were killed in a German ambush near Westerlo

Carl

post-36833-0-51871400-1425196777_thumb.j

now who is this then ?

there is a 'bird' connection

Carl

I'm pretty sure this is Nikolaus Burggraf und Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien. The bird connection would then be that he commanded the armed merchantman SMS Möve.

Möwe means seagull, although the spelling with v is now antiquated and defunct - the modern spelling being Möwe (German w = English v: The German v is more like an English f).

Cheers

Colin

Who is this intrepid flyer ? ? ?

I posted him a while back, uncle, so I`ll stay out of this one.

Sorry guys - these things do happen. He is of course Sir William Stephenson.

I'm pretty sure this is Nikolaus Burggraf und Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien. The bird connection would then be that he commanded the armed merchantman SMS Möve.

Möwe means seagull, although the spelling with v is now antiquated and defunct - the modern spelling being Möwe (German w = English v: The German v is more like an English f).

Cheers

Colin

You are quite correct !

Carl

No, sorry, Uncle. My regal man didn't make it past the first few days of conflict....

How about Friedrich Wilhelm, Prinz of Lippe-Biesterfeld?

Now this regal gentleman was a "first" and an "eldest"

attachicon.gifimage27.jpg

Who is he?

Now this regal gentleman was a "first" and an "eldest"

attachicon.gifimage27.jpg

Who is he?

I`ll go for Freidrich Wilhelm of Lippe. http://www.weltkriegsopfer.de/Kriegsopfer-Friedrich-Wilhelm-Lippe-Prinz-zur_Soldaten_0_92437.html

Beat me to it U.G. Well played.

How about Friedrich Wilhelm, Prinz of Lippe-Biesterfeld?

That's him, Uncle! The first and eldest (56 yrs) member of a German royal family to be killed in action, which occured during the battle of Liège 06.08.1914

Pipped at the post NF!

Cheers

Colin