The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Apparently, this man K.I.A. in 1915 at Ypres, inspired a very well known poem.

post-95959-0-52480400-1425230839_thumb.j

Apparently, this man K.I.A. in 1915 at Ypres, inspired a very well known poem.

attachicon.gifpi.JPG

Blast, I immediately thought David Thomas (Graves & Sassoon's friend & inspiration), but he died 1916....

Ah. Good effort. You`re on track with this one Colin. Very close, but as you say; a year out.

Sorry guys - these things do happen. He is of course Sir William Stephenson.

Uncle, don't worry about it. We've all done it and to be honest it does no harm, especially as the inmates of the thead have changed. I knew I'd seen your man's face before but I hadn't a clue it was in this thread. I have a copy of David's spreadsheet which I check when I post someone but I don't think it matters.

Pete.

Alexis Helmer?

Alexis Helmur is correct, U.G. Inspiration for "In Flanders Fields". http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/john-mccrae-in-flanders-fields-inspiration.htm

Uncle, don't worry about it. We've all done it and to be honest it does no harm, especially as the inmates of the thead have changed. I knew I'd seen your man's face before but I hadn't a clue it was in this thread. I have a copy of David's spreadsheet which I check when I post someone but I don't think it matters.

Pete.

It matters not a jot. In fact with outstanding people like Stephenson, it`s probably worth posting a link for those more recent members of the family, who may have missed him first time round. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Stephenson

Anyone know this international sportsman???post-95959-0-15939200-1425238397_thumb.j

Uncle, don't worry about it. .

It matters not a jot.

Cheers guys. A clue for my latest (#2374) - he had something in common with WSC and Jack Seely.

Cheers guys. A clue for my latest (#2374) - he had something in common with WSC and Jack Seely.

Looking through my book on WW1 Lifeguard politicians, I came across this chap: Captain the Honorable Arthur Edward Bruce O'Neill, who served in the 2nd Life Guards and was the first British Member of Parliament to be killed in the Great War.

Another "Warrior" by the look of it. http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?85577-WW1-Casualty-Swords-2nd-Life-Guards

Looking through my book on WW1 Lifeguard politicians, I came across this chap: Captain the Honorable Arthur Edward Bruce O'Neill, who served in the 2nd Life Guards and was the first British Member of Parliament to be killed in the Great War.

Another "Warrior" by the look of it. http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?85577-WW1-Casualty-Swords-2nd-Life-Guards

Yes indeed.

"He fell while leading his men in a most gallant attempt to save a situation. He was shot on the Klein Zillebeke Ridge, near Ypres, and shouting to his men to line the ridge [he] was being carried out when he received another wound, and then begged his bearers to leave him and save themselves. He did not know what fear was."

(I tried to click on your link, but was prevented by a Custodian of the ether: "The site was blocked because it matched the following categories: Weapons, Violence, Gore and Hate")

(I tried to click on your link, but was prevented by a Custodian of the ether: "The site was blocked because it matched the following categories: Weapons, Violence, Gore and Hate")

Strange, I just tried the link and it came up o.k. Perhaps you have your security settings higher than mine. The link was from a forum on which a guy had just bought O`Neill`s swords at auction. I got there through googling "Lifeguards politician WW1" if you want to see them. There wasn`t a great deal of info about O`Neill himself.

While I`m here, I`ll let on that my chap was also strongly connected to horses, both in and out of the army.

EDIT: 100 pages not far away now. Where is our statto? I hope all is well.

Edited by neverforget

This will almost certainly have to do with the browser settings or, possibly, your on your antivirus programme. Depending on what browser you use, open Extras and Add-ons (or Extensions) and check for parental control, objectionable content control or similar.

If there is no such add-on, your antivirus programme may incorporate parental controls with high-ish default settings.

If you use Firefox, you might find some useful information here

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Parental_controls

and for other browsers open Help and search for parental control.

Cheers

Colin

While I`m here, I`ll let on that my chap was also strongly connected to horses, both in and out of the army.

Jack Seely?

(Although he was probably older than your man and I don't think he was ever an international sportsman, unless he rode cross-country or whatever...)

Cheers

Colin

Jack Seely?

(Although he was probably older than your man and I don't think he was ever an international sportsman, unless he rode cross-country or whatever...)

Cheers

Colin

Not Seeley, Colin, but the horse connection outside of the Great War is a sporting one.

Remembering that I introduced him as an international sportsman, I will add that he had two brothers who were also international sportsmen. Must have been something in the genes.

Thanks for the IT advice, NF and Colin.

EDIT: 100 pages not far away now. Where is our statto? .

I've been wondering about that.

Anyone know this international sportsman???attachicon.gifcr.jpg

Is he Frederick Harvey VC of Lord Strathcona's Horse? He and his two brothers played rugby for Ireland.

Not Seeley, Colin, but the horse connection outside of the Great War is a sporting one.

Remembering that I introduced him as an international sportsman, I will add that he had two brothers who were also international sportsmen. Must have been something in the genes.

While I ponder that, here's another minor German royal KIA for your delectation

post-116807-0-41100600-1425288060_thumb.

EDIT: I guess Uncle has scored a good try...

Violet Bonham Carter remembers discussing a GW figure with WSC:

"He is the only man of whom I have ever heard Winston speak vindictively. 'I should like him to starve,' he said to me, 'to starve without a pension in a suburban hovel facing a redbrick wall.' 'You don't mean that,' I said. 'Yes I do mean it - that is how I want him to live to the end of his days - staring into a blank wall.' "

Who CAN they be talking about ? ? ?

Jacky Fisher?

Ron

Is he Frederick Harvey VC of Lord Strathcona's Horse? He and his two brothers played rugby for Ireland.

Try and conversion to UG. Well played.

Very horsey, and awarded the Victoria Cross, the Military Cross and the Croix de Guerre. He was later awarded a CBE, and made it to Brigadier General. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Maurice_Watson_Harvey

Jacky Fisher is most likely, I think, but I`ll try Chamberlain on the off-chance.

While I ponder that, here's another minor German royal KIA for your delectation

attachicon.gifimage28a.jpg

EDIT: I guess Uncle has scored a good try...

Prince Heinrich of Bavaria - KIA Monte Sule, 8.11.1916?

Jacky Fisher?

Ron

Jacky Fisher is most likely, I think, but I`ll try Chamberlain on the off-chance.

Neither one of those.

"He belonged to that school whose supreme conception of Great War strategy was 'killing Germans'. Anything that killed Germans was right. Anything that did not kill Germans was useless, even if it made other people kill them, and kill more of them, or terminated their power to kill us."

He is not Robertson.

Prince Heinrich of Bavaria - KIA Monte Sule, 8.11.1916?

No, my man's not Bavarian. He fought in a Thuringian regiment and also died in 1916, against a country that had only declared war a couple of months earlier...

No, my man's not Bavarian. He fought in a Thuringian regiment and also died in 1916, against a country that had only declared war a couple of months earlier...

Frederick William, Prince of Hesse, killed in the Rumanian campaign.