The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Neither one of those.

"He belonged to that school whose supreme conception of Great War strategy was 'killing Germans'. Anything that killed Germans was right. Anything that did not kill Germans was useless, even if it made other people kill them, and kill more of them, or terminated their power to kill us."

He is not Robertson.

Charles Townshend?

Frederick William, Prince of Hesse, killed in the Rumanian campaign.

Exactly! He copped it on the Dobruja front along the border between Romania and Bulgaria

Cheers

Colin

Another easy politician/soldier for you. I like this chap, and wish there had been more like him.post-95959-0-44457100-1425302238_thumb.j

Charles Townshend?

No, but had some involvement in the Mesopotamian campaign.

Robertson: "thanks to his co-operation and administrative ability, about a hundred and fifty battalions [of native troops] ... were added to the Indian army, being sent to Palestine or Mesopotamia as soon as ready. Indirectly, therefore, he had a notable share for the success of the Palestinian campaign of 1918 ... the bulk of the British infantry having before that time been hurried off post-haste to the West Front."

Monro?

No, but had some involvement in the Mesopotamian campaign.

Robertson: "thanks to his co-operation and administrative ability, about a hundred and fifty battalions [of native troops] ... were added to the Indian army, being sent to Palestine or Mesopotamia as soon as ready. Indirectly, therefore, he had a notable share for the success of the Palestinian campaign of 1918 ... the bulk of the British infantry having before that time been hurried off post-haste to the West Front."

Charles Monro

EDIT: Sorry missed NF's post...

Another easy politician/soldier for you. I like this chap, and wish there had been more like him.attachicon.gifcj.jpg

A 'tache-less William Robertson?

Continuing my theme, who are this pair and what is their connection

post-116807-0-07503200-1425310902_thumb.

Monro?

Yes that's him. According to VBC, the cause of WSC's distaste was Monro's opinion of, and advice to the Cabinet concerning, the Gallipoli campaign: "He spent just six hours on the Peninsula and on the following day sent a telegram recommending total evacuation and the abandonment of the campaign."

I think WSC was also the originator of the saying "He came, he saw, he capitulated".

Not the only case of a flawed judgment by Churchill. A fairer comment, whose source sadly escapes me, said "No-one did more for the Indian Army than Monro - not even Bobs".

Ron

A 'tache-less William Robertson?

Continuing my theme, who are this pair and what is their connection

Not Robinson. Look to Bonnie Scotland.

?Continuing my theme, who are this pair and what is their connection

The chap on the left: Prince Friedrich of Saxe-Meiningen?

?Continuing my theme, who are this pair and what is their connection

Chap on the right: Friedrich's son Georg?

I think you`re right, UG, and I think the lad on the right is his son K.I.A. Prince Ernst of Saxe-Meiningen

Is he John Buchan?

Not Buchan.

Another horsey chap, he was a leader of men in the true sense.

Whilst carrying out a rearguard action, over half of the men and all of the officers but him were wiped out. He ended up carrying one of his men back to safety.

In another incident, when surrounded on three sides, and surrender demanded of him, he refused.

Mentioned in despatches more times than you can shake a stick at.

neverforget, on 2 Mar 2015 - 7:44 PM, said

I think you`re right, UG, and I think the lad on the right is his son K.I.A. Prince Ernst of Saxe-Meiningen

Yes, that's them - congratulations again!

Prince Friedrich of Saxe-Meiningen, Duke of Saxony, KIA 23 August 1914 in/near Nallines (south of Charleroi), hit by shrapnel (or machine gun bullets) as he left the house he was using as his HQ

and his second of three sons (third of six children)

Prince Ernst of Saxe-Meiningen, DOW 3 days after his father, 26 August 1914 in Maubeuge field hospital after being wounded by gunshot in the back of the head on patrol north of Maubeuge (and having his horse shot from under him).

They are buried side-by-side in the communal cemetery in Meiningen, Thuringia

Not Buchan.

Another horsey chap, he was a leader of men in the true sense.

Whilst carrying out a rearguard action, over half of the men and all of the officers but him were wiped out. He ended up carrying one of his men back to safety.

In another incident, when surrounded on three sides, and surrender demanded of him, he refused.

Mentioned in despatches more times than you can shake a stick at.

Sounds to me very much like

Major General Sir Nevill Maskelyne Smyth VC, KCB

but he didn't come from NotB (born in Westminster), although he did try his hand - unsuccessfully - in politics in Australia post 1918.

Cheers

Colin

P.S. If it's not him, it jolly well ought to be! :D

EDITED: To give NF proper credit for Prince Ernst

Prince Friedrich of Saxe-Meiningen, Duke of Saxony, KIA 23 August 1914 in/near Nallines (south of Charleroi), hit by shrapnel (or machine gun bullets) as he left the house he was using as his HQ

Prince Ernst of Saxe-Meiningen, DOW 3 days after his father, 26 August 1914 in Maubeuge field hospital after being wounded by gunshot in the back of the head on patrol north of Maubeuge (and having his horse shot from under him).

They are buried side-by-side in the communal cemetery in Meiningen,

D

So it seems that I identified Friedrich, mistakenly guessed his son Georg, and NF correctly identified Ernst.

So it seems that I identified Friedrich, mistakenly guessed his son Georg, and NF correctly identified Ernst.

Correct, I copied in the wrong quote - sorry NF

Correct, I copied in the wrong quote - sorry NF

I'm enjoying this minor royalty theme Colin - learning new stuff every day.

They are buried side-by-side in the communal cemetery in Meiningen, Thuringia

Sounds to me very much like

Major General Sir Nevill Maskelyne Smyth VC, KCB

but he didn't come from NotB (born in Westminster), although he did try his hand - unsuccessfully - in politics in Australia post 1918.

Cheers

Colin

P.S. If it's not him, it jolly well ought to be! :D

Colin, that`s amazing, but still not him I`m afraid. :whistle:

What more can I tell you? He had a long (20+yrs) political career, ending up as a High Commisioner.

His WW1 service culminated in him becoming a divisional commander. In 1918 his actions as such were noted as "The turning point of the war." by a much more famous General. He refused to order his men into a hopeless attack in the hours of daylight, and so the attack along the whole front was postponed until night-time.

He became a "Sir......."

Don`t forget about Scotland.

I'm enjoying this minor royalty theme Colin - learning new stuff every day.

Thank-you, Uncle, I'm pleased you're enjoying it. There are a few more KIAs I can look out, but it is not always easy to verify the sources I am using because there is very little info publically available about the (often younger) sons who died before they really grew up - and in many cases there are no photos of them in the public domain either.

But I can always move to those who survived and perhaps went on to live lives of fame or notoriety (but no longer as proper royalty - depite the fact that, unlike in Austria, they were allowed to keep their property and stay in the country, their titles being integrated into their civil names as part of the surname.)

Cheers

Colin

Colin, that`s amazing, but still not him I`m afraid. :whistle:

What more can I tell you? He had a long (20+yrs) political career, ending up as a High Commisioner.

His WW1 service culminated in him becoming a divisional commander. In 1918 his actions as such were noted as "The turning point of the war." by a much more famous General. He refused to order his men into a hopeless attack in the hours of daylight, and so the attack along the whole front was postponed until night-time.

He became a "Sir......."

Don`t forget about Scotland.

I recognise most of those clues, but it's too late for me to think straight this evening, so I'll go into it tomorrow - if Uncle doesn't get in first....

Thank-you, Uncle, I'm pleased you're enjoying it. There are a few more KIAs I can look out, but it is not always easy to verify the sources I am using because there is very little info publically available about the (often younger) sons who died before they really grew up - and in many cases there are no photos of them in the public domain either.

But I can always move to those who survived and perhaps went on to live lives of fame or notoriety (but no longer as proper royalty - depite the fact that, unlike in Austria, they were allowed to keep their property and stay in the country, their titles being integrated into their civil names as part of the surname.)

Cheers

Colin

Colin

I'm enjoying it too; I cannot imagine how I would come across such interesting stories otherwise. I haven't got a clue how to identify them but I keep checking back.

Pete.

Sir Thomas Glasgow.

Is the correct answer. Well found uncle.

What a top geezer. Wiki page well worth a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_William_Glasgow