The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I've never been so confused with a thread.

I'm still trying to figure out which answers and which clues relate to which picture or question, as sometimes , a second question is posed before the first one is solved.

Its a bit like that Two Ronnies sketch where there's a delay on the line, and RC always gives the answer to the previous question!

It would make it easier for me (but probably a pain in the rear for everyone else) if when posting an answer, you quote the question, as UG has done above in #2427

Sir Thomas Glasgow, one of the many I am amazed I haven't heard about until this excellent educational thread.

OK, are you up for a challenge? This one took me ages to research as the sources disagree, but I have now sorted it out. (Is there life somewhere out there?)

Under ideal circumstances I'd have posted 3 pictures, but I can only find two, so who are these lads?

post-116807-0-85570500-1425381260_thumb. post-116807-0-91480300-1425384000_thumb.

The boy on the left, his brother and a cousin (photo on the right) were all killed in action at different locations during the GW (as well as another brother MIA towards the end of WW2).

Like apparently all male members of this very branched royal family, these 3 have the same forename, differentiated only by the dynastic numbers, these being XLVI (photo), XLIV (older brother) and XLI (cousin)

The lad in the first photo was killed in action at "Les Trois Maisons" (a place name possibly only used by the Germans) north of La Bassée in 1914, the cousin (second photo) in Romania near Bivolita in 1916.

The brother who has no photo is said to have fallen in Głogów/Glogau in Poland in 1918, but I can glean no details.

I hope you enjoy the hunting as much as I did!

Cheers

Colin

P.S: I'll now go and read up on Thomas Glasgow, of whom, I must admit, I've never heard....

OK, are you up for a challenge? This one took me ages to research as the sources disagree, but I have now sorted it out. (Is there life somewhere out there?)

Under ideal circumstances I'd have posted 3 pictures, but I can only find two, so who are these lads?

attachicon.gifimage31.jpg attachicon.gifimage31a.jpg

The boy on the left, his brother and a cousin (photo on the right) were all killed in action at different locations during the GW (as well as another brother MIA towards the end of WW2).

Like apparently all male members of this very branched royal family, these 3 have the same forename, differentiated only by the dynastic numbers, these being XLVI (photo), XLIV (older brother) and XLI (cousin)

Prince Heinrich XLI of Reuss - KIA Bivolita, Roumania 29 Nov. 1916

Prince Heinrich XLIV of Reuss - died of wounds received in action at Laon at Glochau 29 Oct. 1918

Prince Heinrich XLVI of Reuss (brother of above) - KIA at the battle of La Bassée, Belgium 20 Oct. 1914

Blimey that's a complicated carryon:

http://www.almanachdegotha.org/id305.html

Prince Heinrich XLI of Reuss - KIA Bivolita, Roumania 29 Nov. 1916

Prince Heinrich XLIV of Reuss - died of wounds received in action at Laon at Glochau 29 Oct. 1918

Prince Heinrich XLVI of Reuss (brother of above) - KIA at the battle of La Bassée, Belgium 20 Oct. 1914

Wow that was quick - and of course you're correct. I just about had time to eat lunch...

Some sources show XLI and XLVI to be brothers (and don't mention XLIV at all), but according to the genealogical list XLI was a cousin of the other 2 - although I've not been able to fathom in what degree.

(Just for fun, scroll through this Wiki page - perhaps you'd like to count how many Heinrichs there are! http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stammliste_von_Reu%C3%9F It seems the dynastic numbering was linked to the century and it certainly seems to jump around, all boys seemingly being numbered in the order of birth, no matter who the parents were).

German royalty certainly considered themselves warrior kings - I'll see whom I can turn up now.

Cheers

Colin

Is he Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg?

Sorry Uncle, not he.

He was a cavalry general during the GW and Philipp Scheidemann, mayor of Kassel at the time, referred to him as "XX the Defiant" (or alternatively "stubborn"). His state was renowned for its impecunity...

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont.

Colin,

Trying to find out more about the Heinrich numbering sequences of the Reuss junior and senior lines led me to my copy of forum member Joe Rookery's (Joe and Janet Robinson's) "Handbook of Imperial Germany" which (I hope) has allowed me to identify Friedrich

Apparently at one time, I think in the twelfth century, the then head of the house of Reuss was given a hereditary office - I think it was Postmaster-General of the Holy Roman Empire - by the Emperor, who was called Heinrich. In gratitude, the family have named all their male children Heinrich ever since.

Ron

I think I have a good one for you. Be forewarned, it's a bit of a curveball.

Who is this?

post-32240-0-16356000-1425437121_thumb.j

Clue 1: He was killed in April 1918 by his own countrymen...

:huh:

-Daniel

Hi Colin,

Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont.

Yes, Steve, that's the man.

He was the only monarch who refused to abdicate voluntarily and had to be pressured into signing the declaration - hence Scheidemann calling him defiant/stubborn.

The Reuß family is certainly eccentric (and the tradition goes on). Uncle's link is a very good overview, even though its colour scheme makes it very hard to read (for me at least) :o

Cheers

Colin

I think nobody has yet attempted Uncle's and Daniel's characters.

I may give it a try later on if I get time and they're still on the go, but I'll probably have to steer clear of Daniel's with the blind alleys he leads us into, simply because I've too much else to do!

I think nobody has yet attempted Uncle's

My chap "invented", or introduced, or first adopted what came to be a national symbol.

Stuck at work, and out the game at the moment but still enjoying the show. Back to annoy you all soon as I get home this evening.

My chap "invented", or introduced, or first adopted what came to be a national symbol.

The only thing I am sure of is that he's a lieutenant colonel - Richardson perhaps, of the War Dog School? I think there's a vague similarity apart from the uniform cuffs.....

The only thing I am sure of is that he's a lieutenant colonel - Richardson perhaps, of the War Dog School? I think there's a vague similarity apart from the uniform cuffs.....

Like NF's Sir Thomas Glasgow, he refused to sacrifice his men in a daylight attack. He allegedly told his Brigadier-General, "We are not taking orders from you people ... My men are not going to commit suicide."

EDIT: sorry I meant to say, not Richardson.

Like NF's Sir Thomas Glasgow, he refused to sacrifice his men in a daylight attack. He allegedly told his Brigadier-General, "We are not taking orders from you people ... My men are not going to commit suicide."

EDIT: sorry I meant to say, not Richardson.

That gave it away! Lt Col William Malone during the attack on Chunuk Bair

There's an awful lot to admire about those ANZACs!

I think I have a good one for you. Be forewarned, it's a bit of a curveball.

Who is this?

attachicon.gifRIP.jpg

Clue 1: He was killed in April 1918 by his own countrymen...

:huh:

-Daniel

Is he Herbert Lugg of the Somerset Light Infantry? He was killed in the 'friendly fire' incident that wounded C. S. Lewis.

That gave it away! Lt Col William Malone during the attack on Chunuk Bair

There's an awful lot to admire about those ANZACs!

Yes! He introduced the use of the 'lemon squeezer' hat, later formally adopted by the New Zealand army.

"My officers and men are splendid ... So gallant, enduring and cheerful. They are wonderful; their people cannot be too proud of them. The wounded are so patient, so quiet, so brave, so uncomplaining. They bear all their pain like stoics; no troops like them ... I admire - nay, I love them so."

He was killed at Chunuk Bair.

http://pukeariki.com/Learning-Research/Taranaki-Research-Centre/Taranaki-Stories/Taranaki-Story/id/412/title/wg-malone-tough-man-with-a-soft-heart

Is he Herbert Lugg of the Somerset Light Infantry? He was killed in the 'friendly fire' incident that wounded C. S. Lewis.

UG, great guess, but it is not Lugg.

My second clue should put folks on the right path. My man did not serve, though he tried repeatedly to do so, and his death was a result of the ongoing war, though he died on the home front.

-Daniel

If Uncle is right about Lugg, there are no more unsolved WITs (apart from the very first one), so here's my next offering.

post-116807-0-03527700-1425474821_thumb.

He was KIA and there is a connection to one of my previous royals.

Cheers

Colin

If Uncle is right about Lugg, there are no more unsolved WITs (apart from the very first one), so here's my next offering.

attachicon.gifimage33.jpg

He was KIA and there is a connection to one of my previous royals.

Cheers

Colin

Prince Ernst Julius zur Lippe-Biesterfeld, killed in action at Villiers-le-Guise 28 Aug 1914?