The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Engineers

Guest colinh

Hi

I am researching my ancester W Coulson WR/22909 and he was with the 315th Railway Construction Company, the problem is I cannot find anything in relation to this company. I have checked the medal roll and still cannot find him. He is only located on the CWGC listings.

Has anyone any idea where I go from here.

regards

colin

Andy

thanks for the reply, for some reason I cannot get on with the NA, not always straight forward as I think it could be made to be.

I have downloaded the info and am acting on it.

regards

colin

Colin,

Reviewing the History of the Corps of Royal Engineers, Vol 5 (France, Flanders, Italy and Home Front), pp129-132 lists all RE Transportation Units in service at Armistice 11 November 1918 in all theaters of the Great War (including units in Russia).

Railway Construction Companies are mentioned numbering up to 298.

Road Construction Coys are numbered: 301-319, 330-347 and 349.

Quarry Coys are numbered: 198, 199, 320-329 and 348.

These are Western Front units; other theaters (Egypt, Salonika, Itlay, East Africa and Mesopatamia) are interspersed within the listed ranges but do not exceed the top number listed.

Perhaps overtime, "roadway" has been remembered as "railway"? [in my case, GrandDad's civilian coalmine carpentry trade was remembered and passed down as "trench shoring / carpentry". After downloading his MIC, he is listed as "Sapper, Transport". The specifics of which part of Transport elude me at my stage of research: railway, road, repair shops?]

Good hunting! Another Pal more experienced, learned may have more insight and suggestions. Doc D

I have several on my database transferred from RGA to RE and ended up in WR??? . I am not sure what the WR denotes but ad libbed with West Riding which may be totally incorrect. The question has to be asked, What was the civilian trade of these men to end up in this type of unit. I would suggest that they either worked in mines or railways and so didnt need training.

Colbridge Robert S. Bomba 275 290265 Royal Engineers 281081 /WR/310230

Brockwell Joseph Gunner 121 290115 Royal Engineers

319116 / WR314737

Hurd Ernest Gunner 290083 Royal Engineers 364546

Marshall Edmond Gunner 49 290046 Royal Engineers WR/207475

Norfolk John H.R. Gunner 157 290149 Royal Engineers WR/335454

Clayton Harry Gunner 38 290035 Royal Engineers WR/335778

I don't have the reference at hand, but if I recall correctly, the Royal Engineers made a sweep of the Army's roll in 1915 to gather up folks with trades in transportation (railways, tunneling, vehicle maintenance, wharfmen, quarry men) to fill the rapidly expanding needs of movement of troops and material.

British Railways provided significant manpower for planning and operation. Many of the tunnelers were recruited directly from the pits.

In late 1916-early 1917, the infantry attrition caused a reverse sweep of the other corps to rebuild manpower numbers. The transportation community was programmed to return some 15,000 souls to the infantry; however, the import of their efforts in vital support of infantry sustainment resulted in having to return only some 3,300 souls.

Doc D

Hi all

I will check to see what W Coulson WR/22909 was before he joined the RE. Obviously he was on his 2nd tour as his first number was 307215.

regards

colin