The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Highland Light Infantry

Guest colinh

Hi again

many postings because I have started to research my ancesters, of which they served in WWI.

Thomas Baron Hothersall joined the Highland Light Infantry in 1901 and went through WWI. His medal card shows that he was in B2 which I assume was the 2nd Battalion. His number was 7427 and was a Sgt.

Has anyone a history of this battalion or know where I could source information of his movements before and during WWI.

regards

colin

Colin,

The book you are after is called "The 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry in the Great War" written by Major A D Telfer-Smollett.

I have a copy that I was very fortunate to find being sold on the internet however it appears to be very difficult to get a hold of.

There are also other books that may be of interest by L B Oatts. He wrote the "Proud Heritage" series about the HLI in four volumes. The third volume deals with the HLI from the Boer War through WW1 although is not specifically devoted to the 2nd Battalion. Oatts also wrote "Highland Light Infantry" for the Famous Regiments series however this is very brief and only a general overview. You can tell the difference on the internet as the Famous Regiments series book sells for about US$25.00 whereas Vol 3 of the Proud Heritage series sells for a lot more.

Finally an interesting website can be found at Light Infantry and will give you a lot of info.

My great grandfather, 7547 Private William English, also joined the 2nd Battalion HLI around 1901 and served as a bugler through to 1919 after which he brought the family to Australia.

I briefly checked my copy of the book for Thomas Hothersall however I couldn't find a mention. Unfortunately the book does not contain a Nominal Roll but only an Honour Roll of those killed during WW1. Therefore I assume Thomas survived the war since he wasn't mentioned there.

Anything else I can help with just let me know and I'll try my best.

Tim L.

Colin

2nd Highland Light Infantry was in 5 Brigade, 2nd Division during WW1 and took part in most of the major battles during the war.

I recommend that you search the website 'The Long Long Trail' which gives you details of the Divisions actions.

SEAN

Colin,

I have never seen a battalion referred to by the abbreviation 'B2' or anything similar. I wouldn't start researching the 2nd Battalion until you have something firmer to suggest he served in that unit.

Regards,

Ken

Hi Colin,

B2 sounds a bit like the Theatre of War code.

2B was for the Balkans (Gallipoli).

The 5th, 6th, & 7th Territorial Battalions HLI served at Gallipoli ( & possibly some of the 8th (Lanark) Battalion).

Is there a date beside where it says B2 on the Medal Index Card?

cheers,

Shaw.

Just had a look at the 1901 census and it has him in the HLI but just above the H there is a 2 so I`m thinking 2nd HLI. not to sure though. Infact all 25 men on that page have the number 2 above the H

thanks

colin

Colin

My Great Grandfather MIC showed 2/HLI, the two being above the HLI as you described. I know he was in the 2nd Bn and from the sound of it I would be fairly confident Hothersall was as well.

In addition to this, if he joined the HLI in 1901 as a regular soldier, then he had to be with either the 1st or 2nd Battalions as they were the only regular battalions in existence at that time.

Tim L.