The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ANZAC - Sari Bair

michaeldr

ANZAC – Sari Bair,

Author: Stephen Chambers

Publisher: Pen & Sword Military, June 2014

ISBN 978 178159 190 1

This complex battle brought together Australian, New Zealand, Maori, Indian and British New Army troops, to fight over ground which none had so far seen: and their advance over that ground was to be at night The New Army formations were untried, and perhaps untrained for such a task, whilst the veterans from the antipodes and the Indies were weakened by their months of service on this awful battlefield, without proper rest camps or sufficient medical facilities.

Stephen Chambers' approach to this complex battle is to deal with each sector in turn, rather than trying to follow a chronological timetable. So much here was happening at the same time, but in different areas of the battlefield, that this system produces the best result and Stephen guides us through the intricate battle sequence, place by place, rather than by following a single time line. It cannot be over-stated how well this works and therefore how easily it can be understood by the reader.

The potted biographies of the individuals involved add greatly to the interest, as they cover not only the commanders, but also the NCO and the Private in the front line.

As a battlefield guide of many years experience, Stephen has unique insights into the lie of the land here, and the peculiar nature of the physical geography which confronted and confounded the allies in early August 1915. His annotated photographs add greatly to the plentiful maps.

The author concludes his description of the August 1915 action with a look at Hill 60. Though not always thought of as part of the Sari Bair offensive, Hill 60 falls within the same geographical area and therefore its inclusion here must be welcomed by the battlefield tourist.

There was over confidence, not only in the fresh New Army formations, but also in the battle-weary and debilitated veterans, and their commanders. [in his autobiography FM Lord Birdwood wrote: “Perhaps, too, I had assessed the physical capacity of my troops too high, for the old hands were still weak from their past disabilities, and the 13th Division were young soldiers.”] Ironically, added to this must be one of the lessons learnt from April 1915: secrecy was now given top priority, but alas, it also meant less effective preparation in the form of little or no reconnaissance, by air or on the ground. Altogether, the allies were handicapped before they started. The Turks on the other hand reacted well and quickly to the developing threat.

Stephen Chambers' latest essay, his fourth in this series, gives us a welcome insight into this most intricate of actions, and he guides us well and clearly around the complex geography of this sector which so troubled the allies in the summer of 1915. This book should be carried by anyone visiting Gallipoli's August battlefields.

Thank you Michael, I'm looking forward to getting this.

Jonathan

• 5 months later...

Just received a copy of this, and am looking forward to reading it. This review confirmed my decision to purchase, thank you.

Mark

Yes a nice effort Steve,

Finally got mine and thanks for sending. Can't add better than Michael.

Congrats on a job well done.

Hope you liked the other part of the trade!

Ian