The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

frank finan

pol o frithil

to all forum members,

this is how far i got in search for information of frank finan. the regiments he was in ,

irish guards and service no; 10857.

connaught rangers and service no; 11216.

royal flying corps and service no; 51231.

sherwood foresters and service no; 72254.

he was born in 1894 to mother margaret finan. no record of father, he either died or left the two of them. his mother is supposed to have left him with her two sisters and her father. the sisters were never married and they raised him.his aunts names were mary and celia, grandfather name was peter. his mother left dromore west to get married within the county sligo,or maybe donegal.there is also a story that she went to america. some of the older generation that know live in the village say he was a tall handsome guy.when he was killed his two medals were returned to the united kingdom government.i reckon the two aunts and the grandfather did not want his medals. the reason i guess was that he was the last of the family,so the family name died with him . the aunts died in the 1940's and 1950's.do not know when peter the granfather died.

that is all i know about him so far. one member of the connaught rangers museum told me that some of the connaught rangers served in gallpoli before the well know anzac battle with the turks. awaiting information back from secretary of the rangers museum on what battalion frank was in .

will keep you up to date if i find out any more information.

Pol

Just noticed this info. 5 Batt Connaught Rangers served in Gallipoi and were then transfered to Balkans where they suffered huge losses in Nov/Dec 1915. As I told you in previous message my father knows more about this than me. I'll ask him.

Best wishes

Paul