The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Vernon Street Cemetery

8055Bell

According to CWGC this was between Carnoy and Maricourt at 'creep forward position'. Does anyone know a trench map reference or particular location?

Many casualties were relocated to Dantzig Alley. The concentration records show a big range of references for original burials, with many located around the tip of Talus Bois in 62C 9.a. There was a Vernon St trench here and a strange reverse redoubt, which could fit in with the sqeek forward name,

Relocated burials from Maricourt Military Cemetery show the same reference and give the cemetery name. I'm wondering if Vernon Street was more of an area for battlefield burials, rather than a particular field. Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Thanks very much Tom,

That's where I thought it was. Broadly in the position of Vernon Street Trench. https://17thmanchesters.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/vernon-street.jpg

I can see Peronne Road at 1230 and Maricourt Military Cemetery at 1040. What names do you have for 1571, 251-2 (Briquiterie?) and 1638??

Is this a CWGC Document? I'm interested to see the source. It is going to be quite important now the Concentration records are published.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tom,

The landscape would look very different if the original cemeteries remained.

I hadn't addressed the German cemeteries. Talus Bois must have been huge.

Please can you post the equivalent plan north east of this area close Guillemont? I'm expecting to see battlefield cemeteries near Arrowhead Copse and Maltz Horn farm.

Tim