The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German photo / visiting card

robbie

Hi all,

This visiting card portrait was taken by Fischer of Mehlstrasse 6, Hannover.

Can anyone advise re this guy's rank/regiment please? Do you think it could be 19th century rather than 20th?

Robbie

post-1-1098456445.jpg

I am not very knowledgeable regarding cavalry units but it does appear to be a cavalry photo, most likely pre-war vintage but without more info on the unit, uniform style, etc. I cannot tell this for sure.

Ralph

I am not very knowledgeable regarding cavalry units but it does appear to be a cavalry photo, most likely pre-war vintage but without more info on the unit, uniform style, etc. I cannot tell this for sure.

Ralph

Thanks again Ralph. A colleague at work also thought this could be pre-WW1.

Robbie

Hello Robbie,

your photo shows a recrut from Königs-Ulanen-Regiment (1. Hannoversches) Nr.13 (garrison Hannover). In my opinion it`s a 19th century picture. We had a similar tunic in our exhibition last month. Please see here:

http://www.historiker14-18.de/ausseiten/aus_ansicht1.htm

Comparing the two pictures, you might see, that the one we showed in the exhibition, was not complete. The white so called "Paraderabatte" and the "Fangschnur" are missing. The shoulder straps are also different.

The soldier on your photo has the "Epauletten". Our tunic was in the original state, it was worn in 1916 in the "Ersatz Eskadron" in Hannover. It has the red shoulder straps for the peacetime tunic model 1915.

http://www.historiker14-18.de/ausseiten/aus_stuecke_ul13.htm

Please notice the original coloured photo over "his" right shoulder.

I am sorry, I can not translate some of the german terms, may be someone else can.

Hinrich

Robbie,

here is the coloured photo.

UL13.jpg

and a picture of the "Epauletten" in white because the Ulanen Regiment Nr. 13 belonged to the X. army corps in Hannover.

epauletten.jpg

Hinrich

Thanks very much, Hinrich. You have been most helpful.

Robbie