The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sidney Puttick Royal Sussex Reg

Guest robin miller

Robin

The 'L' prefix was used in the Royal Sussex Regiment to denote a regular soldier. I'm no expert on service numbers, but this 'L' number is very late - not pre-war. The first number is a Royal Sussex territorial number, and if they occur in the order you give, perhaps this is a man who was originally a territorial, and then joined as a regular at the end of, or after the war.

Regards - Sue

Guest robin miller

many thanks

Sidney Puttick comes from steyning Sussex and is my Grand Uncle.

I have photo which at the moment could be him but cant Download onto comp as scanner broke.

I will be going to N A next week to get copy of MIC and search for service record if any.

do you know if there any way i can find out which Battalion he was in?????

Again many thanks

Robin

Sidney Puttick comes from steyning Sussex and is my Grand Uncle.

do you know if there any way i can find out which Battalion he was in?????

Robin

If you do the next step from the MIC, and look at the medal roll, you should find out the battalions. As you can see from my signature, Steyning is one of the places that I'm interested in, but I've never come across any Putticks. Most of the Steyning men who were Territorials were in the 4th Battalion, especially at the beginning of the war. Your great uncle's name is not on the Steyning Absent Voter's List for October 1918. I see from the 1901 census that he was born in Henfield, and at that time was in Portslade, so perhaps he didn't move to Steyning until after the war.

Hugh

That 'G' prefix denotes a Home Counties New Army enlistment, and will be found across quite a few regiments. There's been a thread about it before - mainly debating where exactly the Home Counties are!

Regards - Sue

Yes, to confirm what Sue says, G is the prefix for New Army soldiers with the Buffs. However, just to confuse things a bit, they didn't all get posted to Service Battalions. For instance G1 to G50 went to the 6th Bn apart from G21 and G27 who went to the 1st. I can't speak for other Regiments but for this reason you should never assume which Bn a Buffs guy was posted to just because of his number.

Are you looking at anyone in particular Hugh, I may be able to help.

Mick