The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Schneidmuhl POW camp

robbie

This photo postcard was posted from Schneidmuhl camp in province of Posen. He has what appears to be the number 106 on his shoulder. The note on the reverse says: From Chadwich, to Cpl Lobb with best wishes.

Is this guy British?

Robbie

post-6-1098458253.jpg

Here is a second photo also posted from this german POW camp.

i believe the guy in the middle is Scottish. Are the other two English?

The note on the back says:

To Cpl Lobb

K.O.Y.L.J

136 Plassey Street

Penrith, SWales

England.

Yours very sincerely W. Hunter.

What do the letters KOYLJ stand for?

Robbie

post-6-1098458724.jpg

Here is a 3rd photo/postcard also sent from Schneidermuhl POW camp. Are these guys British?

Robbie

post-6-1098459162.jpg

Robbie

The Scottish soldier is from the Royal Scots Fusiliers and its KOYLI not KOYLJ - King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

Schneidmuhl is now called Pila and is in Poland. The prisoners who died are commemorated on a the Pila Memorial in Poznan Garrison cemetery if you look up the CWGC website for Pila you should find out more about the P-o-W camp.

The uniform of the man in the first photo and the Scot in the second (apart from his glengarry, medals and stripes) don't look very British. I wonder if they are old German uniforms issued to prioners-of-war?

Cheers

Adam

Robbie

The Scottish soldier is from the Royal Scots Fusiliers and its KOYLI not KOYLJ - King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

Schneidmuhl is now called Pila and is in Poland. The prisoners who died are commemorated on a the Pila Memorial in Poznan Garrison cemetery if you look up the CWGC website for Pila you should find out more about the cemetery.

The uniform of the man in the first photo and the Scot in the second (apart from his glengarry, medals and stripes) don't look very British. I wonder if they are old German uniforms issued to prioners-of-war?

Cheers

Adam

Wow Adam, thanks so much. Do you have an interest in this as well?

Robbie

THis guy is buried at Poznan:

Hugh Robert RENNIE

2nd Lieutenant, 14th Battalion, London Regiment (London Scottish) attatched Cameron Highlanders. Captured by Germans, died of wounds Wednesday 10th July 1918. Buried in POZNAN OLD GARRISON CEMETERY, Poland. Grave I. A. 2.

websitehttp://www.roll-of-honour.com/Bedfordshire/ElstowBedfordCountySchoolRollofHonour.html

Robbie