The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Margot Asquith-Diaries-1914-1916

rose of picardy

I just read a review of this in The Economist and here is another in The New Statesman:

http://www.newstatesman.com/2014/05/first-ladys-war

I am a devotee of journals/diaries and will be looking to pick this up eventually. It's a bit expensive right now ( $40.00 US Dollars). It promises to be lively from the reviews. I am sure that some of you have read her autobiography. Do you have any opinions?

I did read Cynthia Asquith's journals several years ago ( checked out from the library) and enjoyed them. She had a son with special needs which resonated with me (though I believe hers was quickly sent away when the gravity of the condition became clear).

And my review on Margot's musings:

MICHAEL BROCK & ELEANOR BROCK (Eds.) Margot Asquith’s Great War Diary 1914-1916, Oxford University Press, £30.00, 417 pp, family trees, chronology, biographical notes, bibliog., index.

Once published even the best edited diaries magnify and reduce the reputations of their authors. Mean spirited opinions of contemporaries written for the diarist’s personal gratification, comments once committed to print become “written in stone”. And, as Margot Asquith’s wartime writings show, regardless of any editor’s efforts to the contrary, diarists are frequently the worst enemies of their writers reputation.

Her entertaining diaries are splendidly edited by the late Michael Brock and his wife Eleanor, whose copious footnotes add hugely to the context, accuracy, and frequent inaccuracy, of her writings. Perhaps even more valuable than Margot’s own record is the editors 147 page introduction and corrective to the reputation of her, her husband Herbert and the events of his wartime premiership and government.

Without doubt Margot was simply unable to act other than ‘above’ her true station; although she felt above it, she was merely the PM’s wife. She wrote frequently and unwontedly to both her husbands’ allies and enemies. Her views were fickle; praise for individuals frequently turning from passing, pleasing, comment and fine opinion to biting judgement and distain by her reportage of hasty uninformed judgements or private conversations which catalogue injudicious views, opinions and comments. She recorded with a tabloid journalist’s author’s enthusiasm for recording and ‘dishing’ the dirt.

Certainly Margot Asquith emerges as an entertaining diarist. Although uneducated she was not unintelligent and remained bitingly - if at times possibly unintentionally - witty. But the fact remains comparison with those in political circles who she met, entertained and passed judgement she was an assertive and a wilful intellectual lightweight who hurt people’s feelings - knew it - and apparently enjoyed doing so.

Herbert Asquith’s hand at the tiller of government had lost both grip and direction by 1916 when closed door manoeuvres placed it into the hands of David Lloyd George, judged even then as either the “Wizard”, or the “Weasel”. Whilst a truly loving support to her husband, of whom her opinion is rarely less than saintly, Margot’s actions, judgements, imperious opinions and behaviour - and a magnificent inclination to interfere in matters way above her position or knowledge - clearly damaged the Prime Minister.

That said, her diaries offer fascinating insights into her, the background of the Asquith government and, ultimately, his colleagues judged him unable to lead the nation to victory. Inevitably one concludes that the bite of her words on the page frequently reflect the gnawing damage she inflicted on her husband’s position quite as much as his own complacency and exhaustion.

Writing decent publicity blurb for any book is a testing. The review copy of this book was accompanied by three sheets of Margot’s quote s. It is a minor masterpiece of editing of her most sweeping condemnations of those in and on the fringes of power. Here snippets must suffice.

Kitchener is described as a man of “good judgement and bad manners”, “brutal by nature”, “of no imagination”, "slow of mind” and the “despair of the War office “. Lord Grey was, “... useless to Henry throughout the crisis – selfish and wanting in sympathy.” Early good opinion of Winston Churchill becomes violent criticism, not least that he is “... a dangerous maniac, so poor in character and judgement, so insolent and childish, that I hardly even think of him as a danger.” Although she expresses her personal fondness for Lloyd George, finally he becomes, “... a man who moves from failure to failure, turning friends into Foes (sic) a man might turn pictures to walls”.

As my mother said of the women of whom she disapproved, with a smile that reflected severe disdain, “That Margot was a quite a girl”. Quite right, certainly she was frequently wrong, and often wrong willed, but she was also an acerbic and highly entertaining commentator about the events and people around her.

About half way through the book and enjoying it immensely. Great review IMHO.