The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regeneration

archangel9

Just read Regeneration. Enjoyed it but not what I expected. The Eye in the Door and The Ghost Road are sitting on the bookshelf saying "read me". Should I bother?

More of the same really. I've never been particularly impressed by her books. There are plenty of accounts of the meeting of Sassoon & Owen in their various biographies without the need to read a modern pastiche.

I found the book more about Rivers and Prior with Sassoon and Owen only bit parts. Sassoon was surprisingly easy to convince of the error of his ways. Is this accurate I wonder?

I found the book more about Rivers and Prior with Sassoon and Owen only bit parts. Sassoon was surprisingly easy to convince of the error of his ways. Is this accurate I wonder?

That's the trouble with this type of book. She probably did a lot of research, but most of it will be speculative & I find it colours one's view later on. It's rather like 'Birdsong' - many people now regard it as an authentic account of the War. In fact it's probably the only book on WW1 that a lot of people will ever read.

I bought them so I might as well read them. Should only take a couple of weeks anyway. Can you recommend a good read(s) on Sassoon and Owen. If nothing else Barker has piqued my interest.

John

I bought them so I might as well read them. Should only take a couple of weeks anyway. Can you recommend a good read(s) on Sassoon and Owen. If nothing else Barker has piqued my interest.

John

Dominic Hibberd has written a couple of books on Owen, the shorter of which, 'The Last Year' I particularly enjoyed. There have been several Sassoon biographies in the last few years by Moorcroft Wilson, Roberts & Max Egremont. All well received but I liked the last one best. The more recent biographies usually have access to additional material and so tend to eclipse older works, but for me Jon Stalworthy's book on Owen is still an excellent read.

Thanks DJC. I feel another visit to Abe approaching.

John