The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Serjeant Michael Healy AM. MM & bar. DCM

Myrtle

I came across this man listed on the Pontardawe War Memorial and thought it may be of interest to some of our Irish pals. Sjt Healy 5130 born in Dungarvan Co. Waterford worked at W. Gilbertson & Co. steelworks Pontardawe, South Wales before WW1. He seems to have been a very courageous man; his CWGC details describe his last brave action before he DoW 02/03/1917.

Just a couple of questions. Does AM stand for Africa medal ? If so, how would he have been awarded this medal when he is listed by CWGC as 25 years old in 1917 ?

Myrtle

Reading this article the question arises ‘why was the Albert Medal awarded, and not a VC?’

In similar circumstances at Gallipoli on 23 Dec 1915, 2nd Lt. A. V. Smith flung himself on a dropped bomb. He was killed but undoubtedly saved several lives and was awarded the VC.

Is the difference in Healy’s case that his action took place during training away from the front line?

Regards

Michael D.R

hello,

i think he was awarded the albert medal because he was 'not in action againest the enemy'.holders of albert medal could replace it with the george cross.

Michael

Thank you for clarifying AM = Albert Medal. I'd forgotten that one. Also thanks for the connection to site.

Regards

Myrtle