The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War Planning 1914

Old Tom

This was published by the C\ambridge University Press in 2010. It's 250 pages contain a series of essays by different authors, mainly north american, outlining the planning carried out by the military staffs of Austria-Hungary, Germany, Russia, France, Great Britain and Italy.I found the accounts of Austria and Russia particularly interesting as I knew little of the work of their staffs. The changes to the von Schlieffen plan by von Moltke are clearly explained. Each account has brief coverage of the implementation, or attempted implementation, of plans. The authors have not selected comparable terms when writing of the allocation of forces. Terms used range from battalions,to divisions to corps and to armies, leaving one wondering if, for example, a Russion division had 12 battalions like the British, at that time, or some other number.

This book was mentioned on the forum a while ago (I forget the context) and I have borrowed a copy from the local library, who obtained it from a university library. It may not be readily available, but is highly worth the effort.

Old Tom

Thank you Tom I just bought it. I would be very interested to see what they say about the German planning process. I am especially keen to discover if there is anything about the chain of command around Liège in early August. This still is not crystal clear to me even after The Great War Dawning and the upcoming The Last Great Cavalry Charge. I had some trepidation about the Zuber's book due out in November. And while I understand what transpired I just do not have the stranglehold on that chain of command. Maybe your recommendation will help!

This book was mentioned on the forum a while ago (I forget the context)

Hi Tom,

It was here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211517 Glad you enjoyed it.

I am currently reading Decisions for War 1914-1918 by the same authors. Following a similar format, the book discusses the decision making process in eleven countries that led them to declaring war. I hope to get a review posted in a week or two. The chapter on Austria-Hungary makes it pretty clear the Austrians were intent on war, not because Franz Ferdinand was assassinated, but used that as an excuse to address their 'Balkan's Problem' with Serbia. They rejected all calls for a peaceful solution.

Regards

Chris

Chris

One of these days I shall forget my name! Not only did I not remember where I heard about this book but also that you had already reviewed it. My apologies.

Old Tom

Not at all Tom - no need for any apology. Get a hold of Decisions for War 1914-1917, I think you will enjoy it as well.

Cheers

Chris