The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

BELLSHILL MEMORIAL

robert mckee

I am trying to find out the regiment`s of two soldiers named on on this...John Thomson and Wm Thomson...two brothers from Bellshill...any ideas...thanks

Here's a match for name and place from SDGW:

Name: John Thomson

Birth Place: Bellshill, Lanarks

Residence: Bellshill, Lanarks

Death Date: 16 Aug 1916

Death Place: France and Flanders

Enlistment Place: Glasgow, Lanarks

Regiment: Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders)

Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Regimental Number: S/11298

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

I'll have a look at CWGC ...

Regards,

Mike

And I wonder if this might be William - Bothwell isn't far from Bellshill. Again from SDGW:

Name: William Thomson

Birth Place: Bothwell, Lanarkshire

Death Date: 18 Jun 1917

Enlistment Place: Hamilton

Regiment: Gordon Highlanders

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Regimental Number: S/7454

Here's CWGC (after a struggle) -

Name Rank Service Number Date of Death Age Regiment / Service Service Country Grave /Memorial Reference Cemetery / Memorial Name Docs.

THOMSON, WILLIAM Lance Corporal S/7454 18/06/1917 Gordon Highlanders United Kingdom Bay 8 and 9. ARRAS MEMORIAL

Mike

many many thanks sir, but my problem is that there is more than one John and William Thomson on the memorial...gonna be hard to find the one l am looking for,i have so little info on them, only their names and that they are on this memorial...thanks again

I see the memorial only has names - no numbers or regiments. Are there no records kept by the Council about when it was built and the selection process?

I see there's a Scottish Military Research Group - perhaps they may be able to help. Otherwise there's only conjecture..

Best wishes,

Mike

thanks mike...onto the SMRC let you know if l have any luck Robert

I am trying to find out the regiment`s of two soldiers named on on this...John Thomson and Wm Thomson...two brothers from Bellshill...any ideas...thanks

Do you know the parents names? Can I ask what's peaked your interest?

BTW the memorial lists only 1 x William Thomson and 2 x John's

Sam

yes roughdiamond l know about only one William on it, think we have narrowed him down to the one mentioned in the earlier post....bit of a question of parents names...either William or James/John and Mary/Marrian...interest sparked because l am married to a lovely Bellshill woman, who`s mother god bless her is not in the best of health...they were her two uncles..many thanks Sir....

Can I suggest you look for them on the 1911 census on Scotland's People, as they were your Mother in laws Uncles, finding them on the census will give you parents names, ages and more importantly place of Birth, this would let you include or exclude the men listed above. The CWGC entry for the John Thomson above gives parents names and address. Let us know how you get on.

Sam

i am having trouble with the cwgc web page....cant locate the John Thompson...what

names are givin for his parents

i am having trouble with the cwgc web page....cant locate the John Thompson...what

names are givin for his parents

I can't get on either, it'll be a simple case of the CWGC site taking a hammering due to today's commemorations and crashing, try again later tonight, the later the better.

Finally got it from my browser history:

THOMSON, J L

Service No: S/11298
Date of Death: 16/08/1916
Regiment/Service: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 2nd Bn.
Grave Reference: V. O. 9.
Additional Information: Son of Peter and Mary Lindsay Thomson, of Kew House, Bellshill, Lanarkshire.

Sam

def found John and William's parents

they are William and Marion Thomson of 5 Parkhead Rows Bellshill,

still cant get on CWGC

In that case the man in Langdon's post #2 and my post #12 isn't him.

If you can get their place of birth from the 1911 Census then someone may be able to identify him by using it to narrow the search on SDGW.

Of the 6 x Thomson's on the Bellshill Memorial, by typing in "Thomson" in the name, "First World War" in the War and "Bellshill" in Additional information, you get 3 results, for 7344 Gnr A. Thomson RFA, 18256 Sgt Edward Thomson 9th Cameronians and J.L. Thomson as in the "John" in my post #12, replace "Thomson" with "Thompson" and you'll get one match for 9759 Pte James Thompson 2nd Seaforths, leaving William and one of the John's which don't get a match with the input of "Bellshill", obviously the one's you're looking at.

There's also the option to try putting his Mothers name Marion in the additional information instead of Bellshill, but you'll have to wait till CWGC is accessible and not being crashed by demand, another option is to see if they married from Scotland's People, in that case you can insert their names instead of Marion.

Sam

it looks like they were born in Bothwell..in 1901 census it says civil parish Bothwell,

Looks Like Mike has found William in post #3 if he was born in Bothwell.

If you go to the Scottish National War Memorial here http://www.snwm.org/ you can search the roll by name for John Thomson you'll get 202 results, might take you an hour or so, but you can then look for a place of Birth of Bothwell, most entries will include one except strangely Naval casualties.

Sam

hi Sam...been looking further i think my man could be L/cpl s/9127, John Thomson . 8th batt Seaforth Highlanders, P.O.B Bothwell, D.O.D 23 apr 1917...would love any help in confirming it though, still cant get on to CWGC...got the info from the Scottish National War Memorial Site.....so many thanks for that tip....

And I wonder if this might be William - Bothwell isn't far from Bellshill. Again from SDGW:

Name: William Thomson

Birth Place: Bothwell, Lanarkshire

Death Date: 18 Jun 1917

Enlistment Place: Hamilton

Regiment: Gordon Highlanders

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Regimental Number: S/7454

Here's CWGC (after a struggle) -

Name Rank Service Number Date of Death Age Regiment / Service Service Country Grave /Memorial Reference Cemetery / Memorial Name Docs.

THOMSON, WILLIAM Lance Corporal S/7454 18/06/1917 Gordon Highlanders United Kingdom Bay 8 and 9. ARRAS MEMORIAL

Mike

think this is one of my men mike...many many thanks.....Robert

hi Sam...been looking further i think my man could be L/cpl s/9127, John Thomson . 8th batt Seaforth Highlanders, P.O.B Bothwell, D.O.D 23 apr 1917...would love any help in confirming it though, still cant get on to CWGC...got the info from the Scottish National War Memorial Site.....so many thanks for that tip....

No NOK on the CWGC site

THOMSON, J

Service No: S/9127
Date of Death: 23/04/1917
Regiment/Service: Seaforth Highlanders 8th Bn.
Grave Reference: I. D. 9.
Additional Information:

Had a look on the National Archives of Scotland (NAS) site, they hold the surviving Will forms of men who died in WW1, they can be a simple form from the back of the mans Pay Book, recovered on his Death or a more formal form, in most cases they name a recipient of assets and an address.

In the case of John Thomson there is one listed under the number S/9127 (not the S/2197 on the CWGC site) but it is him, it is from his Pay Book, the details are:

Ref No: SC70/8/555/1

Will of S/9127 Lance Corporal John Thomson, 8th Bn. or (S), Seaforth Highlanders,

Cause of death: Killed in action, France,

Theatre: France and Flanders,

Date of Death: 23 Apr 1917 or 30 Apr 1917

Document Dated: 5 Apr 1917

These are the contact details of the NAS:

The National Archives of Scotland, H.M. General Register House, 2 Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3YY;

tel +44 (0)131 535 1314;

email: enquiries@nas.gov.uk

There is no Will listed for S/7454 William Thomson, but as he's on the Arras Memorial for the "missing", that's not surprising.

Have you checked to see if there is a Service Record on Ancestry for either man?

Sam

Sam you really are what your name says, a diamond, i have just got the war diaries for that period for him...havnt had a chance to have a good look at them yet, i dont have an account with ancestry but im gonna start one...the story is that these names have only came up recently and as the mum in law is not in great health l thought id look her uncles up for her...i did all this before with my family who were in the 36th ulster Div..but a lot of know how has gone lol.....how do l go about seeing their wills, is it on ancestry...

The wills aren't on Ancestry, I got a copy of my Gt Uncles when I was through in Edinburgh, give them a call or an email, they have digitised them and may give you a copy for a small fee, if you ask, they may even tell you if a NOK and address is included, let me know how you get on.

As for Ancestry, you can get a free 14 day trial so it shouldn't cost you anything, you have to give a credit or debit card detail but as long as you cancel in time you will be fine. I'm not a subscriber to Ancestry, but last week they were giving a free couple of days, for some reason last night I was still able to view both Medal Cards but when I checked for Service records it kicked me out, here's what I found.

S/2197 John Thomson entered France 12/10/1915. 8th Seaforths arrived in July 1914 so he'd have been a reinforcement.

S/7454 William Thomson entered France 01/05/1915. 1st Gordons arrived August 1914 so again a reinforcement.

Both men received a 1915 Star trio, there was no NOK address on either card.

There's one other avenue you could look at if your Wife still has family in/near Bellshill. As she'll tell you the local paper is the "Bellshill Speaker" published since 1893, during WW1 it was the "Bellshill Speaker and North-East Lanarkshire Gazette" http://www.britishpapers.co.uk/scotland/bellshill-speaker/ you could try their archives for obituarys, but first of all contact the local cultural centre http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6342 to see if they have copies on microfiche.

Sam

Well done Sam - been following this tricky one with interest!

Mike

Sam iv had no luck with any of the two contacts you gave me...they gave me a bit of a runaround...so l will look at it again tomorrow and hope for some better luck...Robert