The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers @ Gallipoli

Chris_Baker

Chris

SDGW gives him enlisting Bury. So I assume it would have been at Wellington Barracks, Bolton Street, Bury.

It's now the home of the regimental museum (and well worth a visit).

John

2201 Pte Thomas Haslam, killed in action during the landing on 25 April 1915

Just for the record Chris the date of death was 6th May 1915 & the no. 2210

[from the CWGC]

Name: HASLAM, THOMAS ARDILL

Initials: T A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 06/05/1915

Service No: 2210

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 58 to 72 or 218 to 219

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL

By the way, they also have listed another Haslam killed the next day; a man from the 1st/5th who must be the Pte Haslam who gets a brief mention in Geoffrey Moorhouse’s “Hell’s Foundations” – page 67. I wonder if they were related?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Chris.

I have been trying to contact you( on another matter) but your inbox is full. Please email me,

museumtom@hotmail.com

regards.

Tom

Just to corroborate michaeldr's info I have checked the COs published list of those killed on 25th April and those who died as a result of wounds received that day and Haslam does not appear.

Still don't know when he enlisted ........

Martin

Thanks all. Some documents give 6 May as his date of death. Medals docs give 25 April, but of course that could be getting mixed up with his disembarkation.

From what I can work out, his number might indicate a 1910-11 enlistment. Hope someone can confirm/deny.

From what I can work out, his number might indicate a 1910-11 enlistment. Hope someone can confirm/deny.

First of all I must confess to being out of my depth on the subject of numbering;

However, the other Haslam, he of the 1st/5th who died one day after this man,

had the number 2014 and according to Moorhouse he “joined up in Bury the day war broke out.”

Hope that this helps

Regards

Michael D.R.

Chris.

I have been trying to contact you( on another matter) but your inbox is full. Please email me,

museumtom@hotmail.com

regards.

Tom

I was hoping to provide a picture of Thomas Haslam but I have drawn a blank in the Bury Times 'Book of Honour'. This is unusual in my experience if he was from the immediate Bury area. He does not appear in the addenda or the list of men for whom the paper did not have photographs. The 'other' Haslam, 2014 Private Ernest Haslam of 1/5th LF does appear. He was 32 from St Paul's Street, Bury worked for Messrs Taylor and Nicholson and attended Heywood St U.M Church. He left a widow (who by the time the IWGC collected personal details had become Mrs Chadwick). Haslam is a reasonably common local surname, and I have taught a couple of (unrelated) boys of that name in my 15 years at Bury Grammar School.

post-2-1098883363.jpg

TA Haslam's name on Helles. Faded because panels are faded.

post-2-1099183859.jpg