The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Joseph Whyles.

Cliff. Hobson

Neil, Many thanks for your prompt reply, yes I am from Whitwell, Derbyshire. Joseph Whyles had three brothers who served, John, William and Ernest, the latter two were discharged due to wounds sustained in action. Joseph's nephew gave me the details, loks as if March 1918 was the wrong date.

Is it possible that Joseph may have been killed at Passchendaele. ?

Kind regards Cliff.

19th War Diary

Hi Cliff,

The War Diary seems to idicate they were moving into rest billets on the 14th.

I apologise it's tough for me to read the diaries on my monitor but it appears there was an attack on the 10th (if I'm reading correctly) so it would appear he was wounded and may have died of wounds after that engagement, even though he is noted as KIA.

Though he certainly seems to be a Passchendaele casualty.

I'm sure more knowledgable Pals will help you from here.

Take care,

Neil

19th Btn War Diary

here is the war diary for the whole period

Cliff

According to Wigney he died of wounds. Hope this helps.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

To. Neil & N.S.Regt., Thanks once again for the information re. J. Whyles and particularly for the copy of the war diary, I note from the C.W.G.C. he is buried in Lijssenhoek Military Cemetery.

I have a copy of a letter that his brother Ernest wrote to his parents 24th March 1916 which may be of interest to you, he was mentioned in despatches " The reason we were mentioned because I went over the parapet with two other fellows, we took a torpedo with us about 12 feet long charged. We had to put it under the German barbed wire, as we got there it was twice as heavy through all the mud sticking to it, the Germans were firing at us. We rested half an hour in a shell hole, they must have thought we had gone back becuase they did not fire anymore. As we got near we could hear them laughing and talking we were two hours on the job and covered in mud. We put it just under a sniper's loophole so just imagine it would have been all up for us if he had heard us. I had a drop of rum when I got back, I could hardly stand let alone walk., it was the third time over the top."

" On February the tenth I was recommended for a medal for carrying messages under very heavy shell fire upto the firing line when all the telephone lines were broken, I have only God to thank that I got through as I did."

Regards Cliff.

I can only add a few snippets of trivia. Since your fellow ended up in Lijssenhoek Military Cemetery, he probably died at one of the group of Casualty Clearing Stations at Remy Siding (Nos. 10,17, 2 Cdn, 3 Cdn CCS). This was the largest group of such units in the salient (perhaps in all the Western Front!), and the cemetery there was largely filled from it. As a note in passing, it was not initially intended that Canadian casualties for the Passhendaele operation be sent to Remy, but rather to the group at Nine Elms, not far away. However, Remy seemed to get its share anyway.

The Regimental Aid Posts for all battalions, including the 19th, on the right of this bit of front were at Tyne Cott (the site of the modern ceemetery). At that time this was a mile or more behind the front line. From Tyne Cott, stretcher cases were carried by hand over about three miles of duckboards (bath mats) to an Advanced Dressing Station at Frost House on the ZONNEBEKE-POTITJE road. From there, they were carried by motor ambulance car to the Corps Main Dressing Station for stretcher cases at Vlamertinghe Mill, a mile or two west of Ypres. From there they taken by (different) ambulance cars to the C.C.S. which in this case was another three miles or so west, near the town of Poperinghe.

It was a long trip in wretched conditions.

I hope my spelling has had a good day!

Cliff:

I found this from the 1901-might help with your research.

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Arthur Flowers 20 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Stepson Whitwell Derbyshire

Edley Whyles 3 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Son Whitwell Derbyshire

Eliza A Whyles 12 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Daughter Whitwell Derbyshire

Ernest Whyles 7 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Son Whitwell Derbyshire

Fred Whyles 16 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Son Whitwell Derbyshire

John T Whyles 10 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Son Whitwell Derbyshire

Joseph Whyles 42 Swanwick, Derbyshire, England Head Whitwell Derbyshire

Joseph Whyles 18 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Son Whitwell Derbyshire

Lewis Whyles 1 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Son Whitwell Derbyshire

Rebecca Whyles 39 Cresswell, Derbyshire, England Wife Whitwell Derbyshire

William Whyles 14 Whitwell, Derbyshire, England Son Whitwell Derbyshire

To. gord97138.

Thankyou very much for the information re. 1901 census it gives me some background I did'nt have, its all grist to the mill as my Grandfather used to say. Regards Cliff.