The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wrong cap badge

Guest Tonys

I have two photographs of my father in uniform. In both his cap badge belongs to to the South Lancs regiment. Yet he told us as children, that he fought at the Battle of the Somme in the South Staffs regiment. In fact on the wall in our front room there used to hang a large embroidered picture of the South Staffs regimental badge, which he said he made while recuperating in hospital after his leg was amputated. Is it possible that the South Lancs was his basic training regiment ? In both pictures his uniform does not bear any other insignia such as shoulder flashes or lapel badges- could that indicate he was engaged in basic training and not permanently posted ? His full name was James Shaw (Private).

And he came from Winson Green, Birmingham. His next of kin would have been his father, Francis Shaw. He was born the 24 November,1899. That makes him pretty young at the time of the Somme, but he always maintained that the recruiting staff conned him into lying about his age because he was big enough to pass for older. His army number I don't know. I realise that you can sometimes find the number engaved on the person's medals, but my father never had any.

He always maintained that this was because he didn't serve the full duration of the war,was hit by friendly fire ( a forward barrage for advancing troops that fell short) and not the enemy's guns, and that he shouldn't have been there anyway because of his age. He also didn't want to make any waves in fear that he might have been punished for making a false declaration.

post-1-1098555430.jpg

tonys

your father could well have served with the South Lancs than transfered to the South Staffs.The cap badge he is wearing is of the South Lancs so you can be certain he was in them at some stage. If you can give us more details ie name & number we may be able to help more.

tonys

I have checked the mic & I cannot find anyone who transfered from the South Lancs to the South Staffs. There are about 10 James Shaw serving with the South Lancs. I really need your fathers number if I am to help any further